Inc2 powers off repeatedly, nothing helps

kophelia

Reaction score
Hello - I have a htc droid incredible 2 that has very recently started shutting down on its own. It sometimes will stay on for a bit if it isn't in use, but if I go to make a call, down it goes. It also seems to not recognize the charge - it will go from full to empty very quickly, and vice versa.

Things I've tried:

Battery is not warped or swollen (tried spinning it, does not)
Happens w/ or w/o SD card inserted, does not seem to be a corrupt card
Factory reset did not fix issue - continued just moments after reactivating (before any apps reinstalled).

Have not yet tried replacing the battery - but my partner (also a droid inc2) has had the same problem which started a few days before mine, same things tried, replacing the battery did not make a difference.

Considering trying to recalibrate the battery - not sure if that will help the issue. Phone was purchased used and on prepaid, so "bring it to Verizon" isn't an option here. "Buy a new phone" is an option, but obviously one I'd like to avoid.

I do not believe there have been any software updates recently - some apps have updated, but again - issue recurred with no installed apps.

Any advice? I'm ordering a new battery now to see if that helps, but don't have high hopes.

steverinnm

Reaction score
Suspect the battery!

The rapid discharge & recharge that you noted is indicative that the culprit is the battery.

I suspect that you used your friend's battery to test your phone, but you never actually tested either battery for voltage or capacity?

The 3.7 Volt, 1450mah Li-Ion battery that comes standard with the Incredible 2 should indicate around 4.1 Volts when fully charged with the charger disconnected. If it indicates less than 3.7 Volts at full charge, the battery is definitely at issue.

When the battery falls below 3.3 Volts, the phone will exhibit problems, freezing, and reboots. When the battery is nearing 3.3 Volts, executing an app or function on the phone will increase the battery demand and can temporarily dip the voltage below 3.3 Volts, causing a "brownout" and unwanted results in phone or app functions.

Good Luck and report back your findings when the new battery arrives!