Inc2 not finding email contacts

C

cdkalk

I just went from Moto Droid 1 to Inc2. I really like this phone. Much faster and more stable than Droid 1. I don't need 4G so good fit for me. BUT, I do have one issue I'm hoping someone out there has an answer for me. I have my phone synced to my corporate exchange email (otherwise working great). But when I compose/reply to an email my corporate contacts do not auto-suggest by our 3-initial employee name code. That is, when I type "JDS" it should auto-suggest from the entire corporate addresss database based on those initials (which is how the corp is set up) and find "johndoesmith@__". I loved this feature because everyone in the corp routes, emails, signs, etc. by their 3 initials and you get used to it. Now understand it does auto-suggest names but only from my on-board address book, so the feature is enabled but I have to type actual email addresses or full names for them to auto-suggest as opposed to initials. But it is not searching the entire corp list. Oddly my old Moto Droid 1 did it. Why doesn't the new Inc2 do it? All my sync settings are checked. I thought this would have been an OS thing and not purely a Moto thing. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

P.S. I just checked this out on an iPhone (I know, don't say it). I synced it to my corporate account, same settings, etc. When I compose an email and enter the 3-initial code of an employee it pulls up their address no problem. Not that this is a deal killer and I'd change phones because of it, but my OLD droid did it. Why won't this one? I'm hoping someone out there knows what setting I'm overlooking, or something. Thanks in advance.

tuanomsoc

Reaction score
same here

@cdkalk

I just made the same upgrade and noticed the same issue. Have you found a solution? (Is it to go to the Market and download the old Android email app?)

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try k9 mail from the market. Maybe that will have the feature you are looking for.

OP
C

cdkalk

Actually after a long while I did find a solution. All by myself (no thanks to my HTC posts)!! The phone can do it, it just takes a few more steps. Here's how.

When I compose an email and the new email box pops up, to the right of the "TO" entry box is a person symbol. Tap that and it takes you to a search screen. For my company I start typing the 3-initial code/shortcut. When the auto-suggest runs out of suggestions from your on-board contacts a new selection appears that says "Search contacts in your Company Directory". Tap that and it will auto-suggest from the corporate account. Tap the one you want. Then tap "DONE" at bottom. And then you're back to the email screen.

Like I said, a few more steps, but when you have a huge company directory it beats typing out long email addresses.

So at least it's native and you don't have to download any app, or worse yet PAY for any app.

BTW, we use Exchange and I have not had a single problem with the Exchange account (email, calendars, sync) using only the installed software, i.e. no additional app. FWIW.

Good luck.

woahdroid

Reaction score
Instead of paying for any application use *********** and search the app. Wait the 20 seconds or something. And download make sure that unknown sources is checked in settings.

sent from my HTC Droid Incredible 2

tuanomsoc

Reaction score
@cdkalk

Yeah, I saw that too. I was just hoping there was a way to have my company's contacts function as if they were local to my phone. I mean, if the stock Android email program can do it, what is HTC waiting for?