Inaacurate "turning on wifi" message...anyone else?

adrenalnjunky

Reaction score
I bought this phone 12/4 and have had no major issues so far. Battery life is not too bad given as much as I've been using it recently. LTE is turned off (not avail in my area yet) Coming from the OG Droid, I'm loving this thing.

One weird glitch, and this is a "I can live with it" much more than a "I have to dig until I've solved this" issue - when starting some apps like:
Stock Email app
Gmail
USA Today
Droidforums

Basically any app that requires a connection to the outside world, I get the little notification at the bottom of the screen saying "Turning on WiFi".

When this message pops up - my wiFi is not being turned on, yet after a second the app loads up and chugs on along on the 3g connection. also - it appears that for a period of time, then you can close the app, and reopen it or any of the others you normally see the message pop up, without it popping up. Give the phone a while idle, and then open one of the apps,a nd the message comes back up.

I don't keep my WiFi turned on normally trying to save battery during the day @ work. Honestly, I'd rather the WiFi not turn itself on every time I launch an app, so I'm fine with it not turning on.

I don't have any smartactions configured yet - and before I start messing with stuff, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has seen this behavior and if there's a quick fix?

MagicMan

Reaction score
same here

This is my second razor (first one stolen. Long story) Both of them have had the exact same issue. The first one however stopped doing it after the first week. I just got the second one today so we'll see if the problem continues.

OP
A

adrenalnjunky

Reaction score
This is my second razor (first one stolen. Long story) Both of them have had the exact same issue. The first one however stopped doing it after the first week. I just got the second one today so we'll see if the problem continues.

Sorry man - I forgot to update this post. I figured this out - under Wi-Fi settings, uncheck the "Notify Me" option under WiFi autostart reminders and this goes away. Did for me at least - my OG droid on FroYo and GB didn't have this option, so I didn't know to look for it.