in the middle of installing new ROM, need Help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by EsotericOCP, Sep 20, 2010.

1. EsotericOCP

EsotericOCP New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm asking for anyone to kindly help, i know this is the right place. I'm currently downloading (10% so far, so i have time for help and advice) Bugless Beast V0.4 throug ROM Manager on my phone. I just Rooted my Moto Droid with RSD Lite, and Rooted well. I'm running FRG22D 2.2 Droid, that being said, is my phone ready for this install, or do i need to install anything else? Also, will this erase my info and data (contacts, texts, pictures, apps, etc..)? Thank you all very much. Also, will this erase my info and data (contacts, texts, pictures, apps, etc..)?

2. Skaggz

Skaggz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You should be good to go after downloading the ROM. I put should in italics because I've read reports of people having problems installing ROMs through ROM Manager/Clockwork recovery. I've never used Rom Manager to install a ROM, so I wouldn't know personally. I like to do it the "old fashioned" way I guess. Just make absolutely sure you make a backup before you install anything through recovery.

As far as losing stuff when you flash a ROM, it all depends on if you wipe /data or not. I always wipe /data when flashing something new, because I'm a firm believer in having a fresh and clean install. You can go ahead and try it without doing a wipe and see how it works out for you. If you begin to experience any problems off the bat, that aren't kernel related, you may need to wipe /data and re-flash the ROM.

Will you lose things when you wipe?

*Contacts - NO, these are backed up to your Google account
    *Texts - YES, although there are apps on the market to backup to your SD card
    *Pictures - NO, these should be saved to your SD card
    *Apps - YES (and no), all of your apps will initially be deleted from your phone. However, upon signing in with your freshly installed ROM, the market may begin to download some of them automatically. Any apps that you've paid for are saved to your Google account and will be seen in the Market>Downloads section. Any apps that were free, and did not get automatically restored from the market, you'll have to find and download yourself. I've always used Titanium Backup to backup and restore my apps before wiping and flashing a new ROM.

Once again, you don't have to wipe /data, but in my opinion, it's always a good idea to do so. And it's NEVER a good idea to not make a nandroid backup before flashing anything.

3. Jmart922

Jmart922 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use rom manager all the time haven't really had an issue, but you will learn everyone will experience different issues here and there, but when you do have them, you can get help here and find a solution to your problem, so you will learn a lot as well

4. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Step one is making a ClockworkMod Recovery backup. Next step is wiping system data and cache 2-3x each. Better safe than sorry, right? Third step is installing the ROM. Fourth step is installing all the patches and updates you can to BB v.4 so you don't have a constant nag screen from Verizon telling you to update to FRG22D, etc.

5. davros

davros Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +33
    Your going backwards in builds frg22d to bb v4

sent by draining my battery

6. EsotericOCP

EsotericOCP New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    furbearingmammal: How do i patch? And i'm getting the update Notification, do i click on update now? or what should i do, thank you very much.

Davros: What would you recommend?

7. davros

davros Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +33
    Go to Bugless section and install BBv0.5 follow the directions!

sent by draining my battery

8. EsotericOCP

EsotericOCP New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i did but i could only update the searfix. I cant find anything about the notification from verizon telling me an update is available.

9. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
  10. EsotericOCP

EsotericOCP New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    great, thanks. I fixed it

11. BaLListic_Evo

BaLListic_Evo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    actually the updates do nothing... they dont install a thing... I wanted to see for myself ;) They just nag you constantly but wont install over your current rom.

12. BlackHoleSlam

BlackHoleSlam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have tried using rom manager to install my first custom rom and every time it reboots supposedly into recovery but just stands on the M load up screen and when i try to manually enter recovery menu it freezes also any help manually i mean power n holding x

Search tags for this page

does installing rom delete pictures

will flashing new rom erase pictures