In Response to Google Wallet Exploits, Google Temporarily Disables Prepaid Cards

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 13, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

It would seem that Google has heard the cries of the masses and will be revisiting the security on their Google Wallet service. In the mean-time they have temporarily disabled the Google Wallet prepaid cards, while they work on a more permanent solution. Here is their statement:

While many of our astute members already pointed out that these security issues are really nothing worse than if someone stole your actual wallet and got your physical credit cards, and, furthermore, if you lock your screen then in some ways it is actually more secure than that, it seems that Google wanted to make that clear to its customers as well. They are working on some solution for the prepaid cards issues to make things more secure, although what is actually a source for speculation.

In fact, let's hear from the community. Sound off in the thread and share any workable ideas that you guys think would solve these issues and make the Google Wallet service more secure.

Source: GoogleCommerce Blog
  2. djsiva

djsiva New Member

I have 1.98 in my Google Wallet account that I can't use. It says "cannot contact bank". I guess it's not that big of a deal since it is what was left out of the free $10 I got for signing up.
  3. cirtbrethren

cirtbrethren New Member

Ok, so I signed up for Google Wallet with my unrooted stock Nexus on Feb. 4th, I rooted my Nexus yesterday, and now I can't install Google Wallet anymore, I guess because I'm rooted. Do I have to unroot to get access to the money I put in GW? Anyone know?

EDIT: Ok, nevermind, I found the APK and downloaded it! :)