In Regards to order of flashing

Mikosh

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm fairly new to the whole ROM scene with my Droid but I pretty much have a good understanding with most of the stuff. I've heard good things about Sapphire's 1.1.1 ROM and wanted to try it out. But I know that it's different that Bugless Beast, where the kernel was included with the zip. Would the order of flashing be something like WIPE>ROM>REBOOT RECOVERY>APPS>REBOOT RECOVERY>KERNEL>REBOOT RECOVERY>THEME.

Any kind of suggestion would be great, I just wasn't sure the best way to go about it. I was slightly confused with the order that was posted in the 1.1.1 thread.

ndhill1976

Reaction score
That is pretty much correct.

You don't have to reboot into recovery between each step though. You could do it all from recovery, then reboot.

There is a kernal included in this ROM, but it is a pretty mild 800 mhz standard voltage kernal. If you are going to install a different kernal, then CVPCS recommends one of his that he made.

If you buy the paid version of ROM Manager, it will do all this in one step for you, including the ROM, apps, kernal, and theme. You just pick which one you want along the way.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suggest making a backup before you wipe the data and cache!

OP
Mikosh

Mikosh

Reaction score
Much appreciated, I should really stop being such a cheap ass and buy the full version :p

Also, are the kernels that cvpcs has sapphire:releases:1.1.1 [CCRoms Wiki] smart governed. Or would SetCPU be something that should be purchased, because I've yet to get on that horse either.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I meant backup your OS with either SPR or CW. I've gotten to the point that I do not worry about the apps. I focus on the OS. A solid backup of the OS can save you hours of work and frustration should something go wrong.

jayman350

Reaction score
ROM Manager is a nice program. I would recommend buying the full version.

The GEMS settings will overclock your kernal and will use the governor that you choose. SetCPU allows you to set up profiles to throttle the kernel. I am running the 1.1GHz kernal that is throttled down for each 20% of battery that I lose. Full is 1100, <71% 1000, <51% 800, <31% 550. I also have a profile that will underclock to 400 if the temp gets too high. You can set them up however you like, this has worked well for me.

One other thing to note that separates Sapphire from a lot of other roms is the "stock" theme. You can flash the stock theme in-between other themes and you don't have to completely set up your phone again afterwards. I love being able to check out a new theme by simply flashing back to the stock theme and then flashing the new theme over that.