1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

In DESPERATE Need of Kernel Help

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by b-jammin21, Jun 11, 2011.

1. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 New Member

Hey guys. Lately I've been messing around on my phone a lot (to the point where not only is my girlfriend getting sick of it, but so am I, lol) trying to find a good kernel for my phone.

Here are my issues:
    -HEAT, REALLY HOT HEAT. Seems that every kernel I try starts an oven in my phone. I hover around upper 80's, low to mid 90's consistently (at the absolute lowest), and frequently get into the mid to upper 110's. (That's Fahrenheit, lol obviously).

-Battery life. Seems that no matter what I try, my battery WILL need to be charged at some point during the day.

I have tried a lot of kernels now (deprimed, corcor67 with smartmod, PE EliteCPU, Chevy, etc) and I can't seem to find anything that gives good performance, good battery life, and no heat issues. I also get some FC's sometimes.

Now I already know that "it depends on my phone and I will have to test some out to figure out works best for me." I've already been trying that story for some time now on SS 5.4 (which is the best ROM out there for me). I guess I've just finally hit the boiling point (pun intended) and I'm sick of testing out countless kernels and having every one of them not work out for me. I'd really love to just get my phone the way I like it with 5.4 and keep it that way and not have to mess around with it anymore.

Any recommendations? Thanks a million in advance.
  2. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

What speeds are you running at? What voltages?
  3. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 New Member

I have usually always run at 1 ghz and go for LV or ULV, because I've been told that lower voltages increase battery life and decrease temps.

Performance has not really been an issue, but heat and battery life has...
  4. coovee

coovee New Member

make/model of phone?
  5. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 New Member

Sorry guys I should've given this info in the OP:

Motorola Droid
    Simply Stunning 5.4
    Murder Remix Theme
    PE Elite CPU kernel (for now....)
    1ghz LV, interactive gov (which I mostly use)

Thanks
  6. VingInMedina

VingInMedina New Member

Try Chevy's Medium voltage 900Mhz kernel. I went from LV to Med and I noticed that my phone is running a bit cooler now.

Battery life didn't noticeably change when I went from LV to Med.

I have also noticed that things I used to be able to run on my phone I can't any more. I think the phone has been pushed so hard for the last 8-9 months that it is starting to get picky in its old age.
  7. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

I use chevys 1ghz lv kernel. What I have noticed really helps is the smartass governor. It really helps with battery life. I used to use the interactive but battery life sucked. I haven't noticed much change, if any, in performance going to the smartass governor.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  8. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

Are you seeing cooler temps with the mv as opposed to the lv kernels?

9. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

That's what he said.

10. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

Lol, guess I had a brainfart! How much cooler is your phone running?

11. VingInMedina

VingInMedina New Member

I don't have hard and fast numbers, but I have noticed since loading it (about a week ago) that it doesn't feel as hot to the touch as often as it did before. It also seems to be running smoother. I haven't had it do a hot reboot on me either.

Like I said, my phone used to work great with LV, but then stated giving my trouble and someone else suggested that I might need a higher voltage. So, if you are shopping around for something that works for you I would give it a try.

It is really amazing how differently phones will react to the same software. Something that will work great on one phone will cause another to crash all the time.
  12. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

I've always been surprised at how our phones act so different. I tried a mv kernel a long time ago, on froyo I think. It didn't work well then, but, kernels have come a long way and so have the roms so maybe I'll give it a shot.

13. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

Just thought id add a little of my findings. I was running the 1ghz ulv kernal and my adroud os was usually at 5%. I switched to 1ghz lv kernal and now android os is at 3%.

Battery temp seems to be the same. screen off with little to no use in the low 80's, moderate use and I'm in the 90's, heavy use and I'm in the 100's with 105 the top. I use interactive gov.

I feel like the battery temps are too high, so I'm going to try a mv kernal.

So, unfortunately you have no choice, but to spend hours testing for the right kernal.

14. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 New Member

I know and it really sucks. I'm working 3 jobs right now and it feels like I'm working another full time job trying to find a good kernel that works for me.

And in theory, shouldn't a kernel that's higher in voltage run hotter too?
  15. camaro1173

camaro1173 Member

? what temp should your phone run at my D1 has always been running in the high 80's to mid to high 90's since I got the phone 2 years ago. So I was just wondering what the temp should be...does any one know?
  16. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 New Member

+1 on this. What is a good/standard temp running range? Or, what ranges of temps do your droids usually run at?
  17. wallratt

wallratt New Member

Have you set up profiles in SetCPU. This can definitely help with battery life and temp. Also I would do a search for the overclocking 101 thread here on droid forum. It really helps. My phone usually runs in the mid 80's to mid 90's and up to 109 with heavy use. I'm running chevys 1.2 lv kernel with no problem. If I remember corectly 120 is about the highest you want to let it get and 140 would cause critical failure. All this is on the over clocking 101 thread.

18. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

I used CPU tuner (free) and I did see some better battery life, but came with it was some major lag and it had a fairly large footprint. Do you notice any perfromance issues with setcpu? I want to make sure its worth using before purchasing.

19. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

I used set cpu for a long time, but with the advancement in kernels and the built in overclocking tool in most roms now I started realizing it really didn't make much of a difference. I started getting tired of the 1 to 2 second delay it took to ramp up the speed when the screen came on. Even if you set priority to 100. I uninstalled it and started using kernels withv the smartass governor and it has acted as if I hade the profiles setup but without the delay when I turn the screen on. Try set cpu if you'd like, it is a great app. I just think you can get better results with the smartass governor and takes up less memory and space.

20. Card

Card New Member

I'm still a fan of SetCPU, just for the ease of use with setting up multiple profiles. Ever since I started running the ChevyNo1 1.1 mV with all my profiles set up the way I like them, I've had fantastic performance with more than adequate battery life and no concern as to overheating my phone.
Search tags for this page

phit droid 2 answers level 2 number 110

phit droid 2 level 110
phit droid 2 solution 110
phit droid level 172