in call tilt sensor

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Tarster, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Tarster

Tarster New Member

Hey guys, first off, chevy I love your work. I have running SS for the last 6 months.. absolutely love it, now for the question
    I have installed SS 4.2 and it has been running pretty stable OCed at 800mhz, I have had 2 random reboots where the phone got slow and then just locked up abd ended up restarting. My main problem is that the tilt sensor seems to be more "touchy" when I am in call and I transfer my phone from hand to shoulderit lights up the front screen and really starts tweaking out when my face starts pushing buttons, is there an app or command line I can run to dumb the sensor down a few degrees? I have never had this problem in any of the other many many Simply stunning revisions over the last couple months.
  2. dodgersrgood

dodgersrgood New Member

ive had this problem since day 1 i got the phone. i dont know about an app or anything
  3. btosch

btosch New Member

I've had this problem as well since I went to 2.2. Currently running BB v.4 and still have the issue. I keep hanging up on people with my cheek... not fun.
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

It's not a tilt, sensor. It's a proximity sensor. It shuts the screen off when you place it to your head.

Do you have long hair? it can affect the way it works....
  5. Tarster

Tarster New Member

Hate to disagree backnblack, but I have short cropped hair almost military style, and I did this while holding the phone in my hand and slowly tilting my head probably 5 - 10 degrees then the light comes on, and this is with the proxy sensor squished up next to my head
  6. btosch

btosch New Member

Same here... The proximity sensor (that's the one in the top left, correct?) stays against my head, but its when I tilt my head to the side to hold the phone against my shoulder when the screen comes back on.
  7. Dxun

Dxun New Member

I hit the mute and end call buttons on a daily basis. The only fix is to use a bluetooth headset.
  8. Tarster

Tarster New Member

Btosch that's exactly what I'm talking about, and yah the proxy sensor is the upper left two and the upper right is the light sensor
  9. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I believe I am working on a fix for this ;)
  10. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

There is no tilt sensor that controls the screen being on or off....
  11. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Yes, it is a proximity sensor, bnb is right.
  12. Tarster

Tarster New Member

well i do remember there was an app that would lock and unlock the screen if the phone was at a specific angle which you could specify. So I would image there is one for blacking the screen or not. Thanks Chevy Love your work and I will be buying you beer tonight when I drop my check in the bank :)
  13. mcm

mcm New Member

Thanks Chevy, can't wait for the fix. I've been dropping calls too frequently because the screen keeps coming on. Haven't had this issue with any 2.1 roms.
  14. ChevyNo1

Yep, it's definitely there - have already fixed, compiled, tested - works great :)
  15. ChevyNo1

Also - for any doubters, an easy way to test - dial your voicemail, but don't hold the phone to your head. Screen is on. Hold your hand about a half inch away; screen goes off. Now set the phone on the table, and do the same test. Screen stays on, even if your hand is in front.
  16. Tarster

Tarster New Member

So was there a deal with the tilt sensor? or is my proxy sensor just feaking out on my short hair cut and fair skin?

edit: I just tried it while on the phone in a call with my girlfriend and yah, with my finger over the proxy sensor - I can tilt the phone and it puts the screen on.

Chevy you said you compiled and it all fixed, Is there an update to download? or am I missing something?

edit second time: Chevy - just bought you a 6 pack of beer :)
  17. ChevyNo1

Nope, there is definitely a deal - so you were not imagining it ;)

No update to download yet - I will release it very soon ...

Thanks for the 6-pack :icon_ banana:
  18. ChevyNo1

This fix has been released in 4.3 in case anyone missed it!
  19. EricF

EricF New Member

Chevy,

I don't know if it is even possible, but could you release this as a standalone update.zip file? I would love to have this fix, but just got 4.2 working just like I want it with no other issues. Also, if it works for other ROMs, it might be a good way to introduce your awesome programming skills to non SS users. (Shameless flattery, right there...)

EricF

I would also like to bribe you with significant beerage for the weekend of the 4th if this programming feat is possible. (OK, flattery and beer. I am now officially out of coercive tools.) Thanks
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  20. cyb3rtr0n

cyb3rtr0n New Member

I was in a building when I read this thread, and tried dialing my voicemail to test it.

I only had one or two bars, then when I dialed voicemail I was dropping into and out of hearing my voicemail. plus the screen stayed on when i put the phone to my ear, or even when I tried to put my hand over the proximity sensor.

I dialed *228 selected option 2 to update roaming through verizon. now In the same location I am getting a stronger signal, and for me the proximity sensor is working.

the app Tarster was refering to above is called Screebl. its a nice app that allows screen timeouts to be ignored when you dont touch the screen often, good while reading etc.. It also has options for incall behavior.

before dialing *228 option 2, I tried with screebl on and screebl off and had the same result. weak signal (in building) and the screen stayed on.

after dialiing *228 option 2 I tried again with screebl off and with it on. and the screen is responding to the proximity sensor, and I my signal is a tad stronger.

to those who have a problem with screen staying on. try *228 option 2 and see if it works for you also.
Search tags for this page

droid razr tilt sensor got wet

droid tilt sensor games 2009