In-call Proximity Sensor

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by ZeroBarrier, Jul 4, 2010.

1. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

I've been reading about the in-call proximity sensor "issue" a lot of people are having on Froyo ROMs and I just wanted to ask if there's anyone else using BB v0.4 that has experienced this.

I read in the main BB v0.4 thread of only one person asking about it and I just tried it today on my Droid and found out it does it too.

To test it out all you have to do is make a call (VM should done fine) and once you put your phone to your ear the screen should turn off, but if you tilt your head toward the side your phone is on, the screen will turn back on even if it's still held at your ear, possibly causing you to hit an onscreen button with your face.

If Pete could chime in and give us a heads up if this will be fixed for next version, that would be cool too.
  2. ArykMeyer

ArykMeyer New Member

i have the same problem, it drives me crazy!
  3. meekless

meekless New Member

same here, same problem
    i even tried to get one of the sensor test apps, and the prox sensor didnt show in the list, so it does seem like something in the rom isnt starting up the sensor at all
  4. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I have BBv0.4 and do not have this issue. Are you saying this is different from the known long hair issue some droids have had from day one?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  5. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

Nope, not long hair. Make a call, take phone to ear, Screen turns off, tilt your head to be almost parallel with the ground, screen turns on while still at ear. Simple to replicate.
  6. nofxdan

nofxdan New Member

I'm not sure that this is really a bug...

I remember having trouble using the keypad or any screen functions while in a phone call because the proximity sensor was so sensitive. Looks like it's just disabled while the phone is being held in a fashion indicative of screen use.

I do admit, however, this has caused two or three accidental hangups on my end.
  7. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

This is most certainly a bug.

The most logical thing for the phone to do once the proximity sensor identifies that it's held up against your ear is to keep the screen off regardless of what position it is held, but it is not working in this fashion. It is turning the screen off when held up against your ear and the accelerometer is overriding the proximity sensor telling your screen to turn on.

I'd consider that a bug, wouldn't you?
  8. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

9. redmccarthy

redmccarthy New Member

To quote Steve Jobs: "Just avoid holding it that way."

I never noticed this problem before but I got it to work by tilting my head about 45 degrees while on a call. Are we sure this is new to BB 0.4?
  10. lte

lte New Member

BB v0.3

It appears to happen on BB v0.3 as well, I rarely use my phone for voice LOL but just tested this and the screen comes back on when I hold it on my shoulder nearly parallel with the floor.
  11. BOA

BOA New Member

Running 0.4 and having the same problem.
  12. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

my friend has this issue on 2.1 stock not rooted. I have noticed I have been hanging up on people when I am moving around while the phone is still to my ear. I did see that chevy fixed this issue. maybe theres a way to control the sensor by adjust the amount of light that needs to hit the sensor before triggereing it. This would be great if it was fixed in v5.
  13. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

I think it's a bug present in nearly all Froyo ROMs, but I did read that chevyno1 did fix it in his 4.3 ROM. I'm just hoping Pete can either get it fixed on his own, or kang chevyno1's fix, lol.

I don't think the problem is the sensor per say, more that the accelerometer is overriding the sensor.
  14. btonetbone

btonetbone New Member

My fiancee can't talk on her Droid (rooted 2.1) without the screen turning on. It's just something about the way she holds it.

We found an app called Screen Suite which works as a bit of a workaround. It adds a new lockscreen which you can customize, including having it turn on when you are in a call. The screen might still turn on, but she doesn't push buttons, mute or end accidentally anymore.

Hope that helps a little!
  15. tickif

tickif New Member

I have the exact same problem ever since I upgraded to froyo. I am running stock 2.2 (not rooted) on mine. Im definitely going to try Screen Suite, but I wish there was a real fix for this, it's driving me up a wall.
  16. NewDroidOrder

NewDroidOrder New Member

This happens on all ROMs except for chevy's new ones. Hes the only guy who has figured out how to fix it. From what I've heard, the sensor reads near and far or something like that, and for some reason when the phone is tilted it thinks that it is "far". I just butchered that, but I saw it on bugzilla for sapphire, CVPCS was talking about it.
Search tags for this page
adjust s4 proximity sensor
adjusting proximity sensor droid bionic
bionic turn off proximity sensor
disable proximity sensor droid x2

droid 2 proximity sensor

droid 2 turn off head sensing
galaxy note 2 proximity sensor fix
htc incredible proximity sensor problem