In call lock screen

slinky

Reaction score
IF the 2.1 update doesn't address this issue, then it Motorola is utterly worthless.

Yes, I know about myLock, which still only works part of the time, but that has nothing to do with a manufacturer being able to get the damn phone to work out of the box without relying on everybody else just to do the basics. How many times do I want to do some other action in the phone app or hang up the phone only to have that @#$@#$ing lock screen get in the way and then fumble having to pulldown the alerts screen to try to get to the phone application to hang up the phone.

Seriously... were ALL the engineers in Motorola smashing drunk when they designed and tested the phone usage? Does this include the focus groups or did they not even bother with that step? Jeeez... It's 2010 and they can't get the basic phone app to work as well as the worst phone I have ever seen.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
IF the 2.1 update doesn't address this issue, then it Motorola is utterly worthless.

Yes, I know about myLock, which still only works part of the time, but that has nothing to do with a manufacturer being able to get the damn phone to work out of the box without relying on everybody else just to do the basics. How many times do I want to do some other action in the phone app or hang up the phone only to have that @#$@#$ing lock screen get in the way and then fumble having to pulldown the alerts screen to try to get to the phone application to hang up the phone.

Seriously... were ALL the engineers in Motorola smashing drunk when they designed and tested the phone usage? Does this include the focus groups or did they not even bother with that step? Jeeez... It's 2010 and they can't get the basic phone app to work as well as the worst phone I have ever seen.

Ever written software? It's not really that easy.... The Android is sill pretty young, I expect that in the next few iterations we'll see this sort of functionality become standard. It's hard to get a focus group that includes ALL possible desires, and more difficult yet is programming ALL of those implementations.

Give it time.

JCo352

Reaction score
Mine never goes to the lock screen when in call

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you have long hair or sideburns? There's a known problem with hair and proximity sensors....

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score

Ever written software? It's not really that easy.... The Android is sill pretty young, I expect that in the next few iterations we'll see this sort of functionality become standard. It's hard to get a focus group that includes ALL possible desires, and more difficult yet is programming ALL of those implementations.

Give it time.
Yes... I have written software.

I do know this - if you're programming for a phone, you make sure the phone part works reasonably well. Anyone who used the phone should have figured out how horrible the Droid is when it comes to phone use. It's an all time record IMHO.

For starters, how about this:

if (phoneuse == "1") then
{
dontturnonthefarginlock();
}
else
{
if locksettings == "1"
turnonfarginlock();
}

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
Do you have long hair or sideburns? There's a known problem with hair and proximity sensors....

(a) It's a smart phone. How often do people pull the phone away from their head to get data to use on a call?

(b) Ever hear of bluetooth? Proximity sensor not ever used.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Again, there is a known issue with people with long hair or sideburns causing problems with the proximity sensors....

If it really doesnt work for you, then I might suggest a different phone. Just because it doesnt work for you, doesnt mean that it's crap or inferior technology.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've looked at your other threads, and every other one is something that you dislike about the phone. I'm not the first one to say this, but I will be the first to stop helping you: you're either trolling because you dont have anything else to do, or really need to consider getting a new phone.

ShowTime

Reaction score
During calls I can access my call screen perfectly, without having to unlock, pull down the notification bar, etc, etc. All I have to do is pull it away from my face and I'm back at the phone screen. It should not be locking or returning to the homescreen, or anything of the sort under stock settings. To sum up, mine works perfectly AS DESIGNED. If you're having issues, it's either a user+phone interaction problem or a faulty unit. The developers did just fine on this issue. It works.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
Again, there is a known issue with people with long hair or sideburns causing problems with the proximity sensors....

If it really doesnt work for you, then I might suggest a different phone. Just because it doesnt work for you, doesnt mean that it's crap or inferior technology.
Dude... the Droid does a lot of good things. But Motorola's implementation of the phone application makes CRAP look like diamonds. Instead of saying "maybe another phone is for you", let Motorola hear about it and compel Motorola to get off its fat, lazy arse and actually DO SOMETHING to make the phone application usable to at least the same reasonable expectations as we would have from a Windows Mobile phone in 2005.

I've got to use Verizon. I need a smartphone with a touchscreen. I stayed away from the Palm Pre because Palm won't be around next year or else I would have bought it in a heartbeat. If HTC's Nexus One had a hardware keyboard (I hate the virtuals) I'd have taken that model in a second.

I just don't think Motorola has a clue or any sense of priorities. Let's see what they include in the 2.1 update and see if it's ANYTHING useful other than cheap gimmicks.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
I've looked at your other threads, and every other one is something that you dislike about the phone. I'm not the first one to say this, but I will be the first to stop helping you: you're either trolling because you dont have anything else to do, or really need to consider getting a new phone.
If you hear something you dont like:

(a) Echo "maybe this phone isn't for you.

If you see bona fide criticism of a phone:

(b) Echo "you're just a troll."

It's fine to voice your frustrations about a phone where a company can't get the basic crap right. I think it's hearing all this talk about 2.1 and the one thing Motorola DOESN"T fix is the phone functions that it didn't do right in the first place. Face it... it sucks... it really does. Yes, I can use it... but it sucks.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
During calls I can access my call screen perfectly, without having to unlock, pull down the notification bar, etc, etc. All I have to do is pull it away from my face and I'm back at the phone screen. It should not be locking or returning to the homescreen, or anything of the sort under stock settings. To sum up, mine works perfectly AS DESIGNED. If you're having issues, it's either a user+phone interaction problem or a faulty unit. The developers did just fine on this issue. It works.

I'm not the only one. My phone locks. Others report the same. I don't know why, when or how but it locks frequently. There is no way to turn off the lock screen. You may have "myLock" installed which is someone's hack to disable the lock screen. You may ask "why didn't Moto provide this switch?" Good question. But the 2.1 update does do live wallpapers so... who cares.

ShowTime

Reaction score

I'm not the only one. My phone locks. Others report the same. I don't know why, when or how but it locks frequently. There is no way to turn off the lock screen. You may have "myLock" installed which is someone's hack to disable the lock screen. You may ask "why didn't Moto provide this switch?" Good question. But the 2.1 update does do live wallpapers so... who cares.

No MyLock. No app affecting this issue whatsoever. It is merely the phone operating perfectly, the way it was designed.
I'm not going to argue that your phone isn't doing this, I believe you, and I'm not going to argue that others may be having the same issue, it's plausible. I'm just saying the phone, when operating correctly (ie: not a faulty unit) and unobstructed (no user or app interference with settings/functioning), it behaves flawlessly in this regard.