In a sticky spot, trying to reroot my phone. PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by combat_chuck, May 17, 2010.

1. combat_chuck

combat_chuck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    okay, so earlier today I rooted my phone for the first time and have been trying to read up on stuff all day about rooting, overclocking, and ROMs because I was trying to be careful. But now I'm at a point where I don't think my phone is a "brick" but I cant figure out what to do now.

I'll try to make this fast, I can elaborate if you need more info:

I had plain old 2.1 non-rooted this morning, never done anything crazy to my phone. so I saw a guide for rooting 2.1 on youtube and so I tried it, but what it actually does is make you revert back to 2.0.1 and then root it, so i did that and everything worked great. Then I downloaded an app for adding custom ROMs and tried to install cyanogenmod and at first it didn't work (phone just stayed on the bootup sequence) but then I booted it in the recovery menu and used the wipe data/factory reset option. That worked great and it actually left the cyanogenmod on the phone (which, btw, is what I THOUGHT 2.1 was supposed to be like).

So at this point everything seemed to be working great but I tried downloading the setcpu app to overclock but it said I wasn't rooted (then how do i have a custom rom?). So I tried rerooting and thats where i got into trouble because I didn't use the same process as before, I used the guide in the sticky part of this forum on how to root 2.1. Now when I do a normal boot my phone wants to do a "special activation" where it calls verizon, but then it says it cant do anything at this time. I've already tried a factory reset again, so idk!

Where can I go from here? PLEASE HELP!

#1 combat_chuck, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. hyphy

hyphy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am no expert at all what so ever (noob to rooting also). Here is my fix for everything.

1 - You can root 2.1 - Here is the guide I used and it was flawless for me. (I guess its not a true root or something but it installs a BB rom, with root so you're rooted. If someone with more knowledge would like to elaborate please feel free, because this is just a lack of knowledge issue for me.)

Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

2 - I found this and WHAT A SAVIOR IT IS!! Here is a stock image file and you can use RSD lite to flash your original OS onto your phone. If something happens, this will allow you to start over! You will need to update to 2.1 and such but you can really not worry too much about truly bricking your phone.

Now you can live without fear of bricking - Android Forums

I hope this helps, it saved my phone a ton of times. Good luck (I hope I'm not going against forum rules posting these links, I apologize if I am.)

#2 hyphy, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  3. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    Sometimes when you flash a rom you can break root. So, you install a recovery app (clockwork or sprecovery) that has root access to flash other roms. Those roms have root access to change settings, edit files, replace files, etc that stock phones can't change. Sounds like you got the app in place that replaced the stock boot-recovery app. That let you install a rom that ended up with busted root.

Wipe cache and data while trying to install the rom again. Worst case start over by going back to stock. The post above mine has links to that file as does the 3rd link in my signature. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

4. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    When you wipe data and cache you have to re-register with Vz. Just do that.

As for not obtaining root...just re-root.

Yes you can go back to 2.0.1 and then do whatever you want from there...accept the OTA again and root it or install a custom rom...watever. Realize the droid is still fnctional. You just have to decide what you want to do to it and how to do that. That's the whole concept of Android...do what you want.

Nate

5. matluvpontiac

matluvpontiac New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. combat_chuck

combat_chuck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    good news mostly. The Verizon activation service must have not been working last night but it worked fine this morning. It booted up with 2.0.1 and I updated to 2.1. so now I'm unrooted.

But I have another question: I'd like to reroot but the guide I used goes to 2.0.1 and uses a ESD56 (kernal?) so I'm wondering if I'd still be able to install DarkEdge since it says it's ESE81. I'm not sure what those numbers mean so thats why Im asking.

7. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    To re-root you will either have to flash back to 2.0.1 and then install a custom rom over that, or use RSD Lite to flash SPRecovery onto the phone. I suggest running the stock 2.1 rom and just install kernels to allow OC and wifi tether and be done with all the hype over "custom" roms. But if you have to do the custom roms, going back to 2.0.1, root, then install whatever rom you like is the easiest way.

Nate

Search tags for this page
can i reroot my phone
can i reroot my phone after rooting it
can we reroot android phone
can you reroot a phone
cant use my android phone after i reroot
i cant reroot my phone

reroot my phone

reroot phone

what happens if i re-root my phone