Improve your battery life. (If Rooted)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd say that the opening post is about the finest amount of science fiction I've seen since I've been looking at posts.:biggrin:

But hey, if your battery has improved good for you. Some people believe that bee stings will cure cancer.:r_c:

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Reality check is my batt has improved by 7 hours or more. Sorry but i dont think removing the task killer and a few widgets gave me that much alone.

Dan_08

Reaction score
Reality check is my batt has improved by 7 hours or more. Sorry but i dont think removing the task killer and a few widgets gave me that much alone.

Easy way to find out....add the task manager and widgets back and see what happens. guarantee you will loose most if not all of that 7hrs.

I don't think anyone is trying to break ur balls but, wouldn't want anyone to read this thread and reset their battery and be like WTH. People need to realize your battery is dependent on your use, apps, widgets, signal strength...etc.

But whatever works, and whatever you did got you 7 more hours I'd be happy too.

nateccnn

Reaction score
As promissed...it is Wednesday morning and I have completed my evaluation. Nothing. Nada. Zip. My battery acts exactly as it did before I deleted the batterystats.bin. Go figure. I must be one of those "this method won't help everyone"s. LOL

Here is what deleting that file did. Before deleting the file I checked the Battery Use option in Settings, About Phone. It showed several apps along with the percentage of battery use for each app. Display had the highest percentage of use. This was followed by Cell Standby and then phone idle. After that was a list of about ten apps with very small percentages.

After deleting the file I immeditaly went back into Battery Use and checked and all I had was Display with about 98% followed by cell standby. All the history for battery use was gone. Throughout the day items started to appear in the list but it was very random, useless information. After three days I now have a decent list of apps with the battery use next to them and the list looks very similar to the list before I deleted the batterystas.bin file.

So based on the later information...what can we conclude the batterystas.bin file's putpose is? Anyone?

For the OP and anyone else who thinks they got better battery performance from removing this file, please try it again but do nothing else to your phone. Just use it. Don't download any new apps, delete any old apps or update any exisiting apps or widgets. Just delete the file and use your phone as usual, charging it the same as you always do. Don't change any of your patterns other than not downloading or deleting any apps or widgets. Then report the results. Not your opine, but just data to support the results. Otherwise I say FOS! If it was that easy to increase your battery performance, why do you think Motorola has not capitalized off this simple fix? Do you think they like for customers to complain about short battery life?

Now...is there a good reason to occasionally delete the batterystats.bin file? Absolutely. If you have poor performance, check the Battery Use option in Settings, About Phone. Delete any widgets or apps that are consuming a lot of power and you don't find neccesary. Then delete the file and start gathering new stats. A day or two later check the BAttery Use in Settings, About Phone and see if it shows better results than before.

I have a suspicion that whehn you reboot your phone it may automatically restes the data in the file anyhow. So maybe deleting the file is uneccesary. I would defer to some of the developers expertise on this last issue/statement cuz I really don't care to figure it out now. I've wasted enough of my time with this silly experiment.

Nate

Nate

blitzburgh39

Reaction score
Hm.. for the disbelievers...

I just fully charged my phone. Well first let me add that I believe my battery was messed up because of the fact that some % of the battery dies faster. Like my battery lasted for an hour at 5% but 10 minutes from 100 to 90.

So I just did this RIGHT after fully charging the phone. I did it. Rebooted. And my battery says 70% available. 70%!!
Explain that! I don't think it "increases battery life" but I do think it let's the phone actually charge the battery, instead of mine "stopping" at 70%, while the phone thinking it was charged. So maybe basically I just "added" 30% of the battery the phone couldn't "see".

So yes, it did make a difference.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

y0manda

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Prior to doing this my phone would charge frollm 10% to full charge in 20 minutes. The battery life was horrible the last few weeks. My phone now fully charges the battery. For the "electrical engineer" you should think more outside the box and get off your high horse because what this does, is not erase the memory of the battery, but allows the phone's cache for charging to reset. This will work for the phones that are charging too quickly and jump from 80% to 10% in a matter of minutes.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Prior to doing this my phone would charge frollm 10% to full charge in 20 minutes. The battery life was horrible the last few weeks. My phone now fully charges the battery. For the "electrical engineer" you should think more outside the box and get off your high horse because what this does, is not erase the memory of the battery, but allows the phone's cache for charging to reset. This will work for the phones that are charging too quickly and jump from 80% to 10% in a matter of minutes.

As I and many others have said the perceived increase is just a placebo effect. Don't you think the manufacturers would share this ability with non rooters if it actually made a significant difference without increasing cost. Think about it.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

yoop

Reaction score
As I and many others have said the perceived increase is just a placebo effect. Don't you think the manufacturers would share this ability with non rooters if it actually made a significant difference without increasing cost. Think about it.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

In my opinion, it's only placebo effect if you always charge your phone fully and always drain it until it turns off (in which case you probably don't have a problem anyway). But for the majority of people who are going to plug in the phone when the numbers show 20-30% left, it could make a big difference. That 20% might be 50% in reality, but you have no way of knowing that.

I've flashed a number of different ROMs, and I've been running the same widgets on them. It seems that the battery stats are messed up the majority of the time in the first day or two after flashing a new ROM, but once clearing the battery stats and doing a charging cycle or two, the battery life seems to increase greatly. I suppose it's possible that just doing a few charging cycles might have the same effect, but it definitely doesn't hurt anything to clear the battery stats before doing so.