Improve the car dock please

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by angelman, Jul 14, 2010.

1. angelman

angelman Member

Can or have any of the fine ROM writers managed to improve/hack the car dock. There are a few things I would like to be able to do.
    1) The soft keyboard appears to be disabled at least in 2.2 when the car dock is used. I know for safety's sake it should be but it would be good to have the option to enable it.
    2) Most of the time in the car dock the phone is in landscape mode but with some docks it's easy to turn it to portrait. Problem is that the display does not rotate when in car dock mode. Google maps works better I think in portrait since you can see more of the road ahead.
    3) The car mode in 2.2 appears to have 2 screens you can switch between. The second one rather curiously is just a number of empty slots with just a couple used for brightness and settings. It would be great if we could customise these slots on both screen. For instance I don't want to use the stock mp3 player to play music, I prefer to use the excellent 3 app. I would like to add my own apps to the empty slots. Otherwise the car dock is not very useful to me.
    I am sure someone could add further customisations to the dock to make it pretty..
    Or perhaps someone could write an entirely new car dock app..
  2. techguru

techguru Member

There are several alternate car dock apps on the market that do exactly what you are asking for.

Alan
  3. angelman

angelman Member

DOH I am an idiot... :)
    Thanks, for some reason it never ocurred to me there may be a replacement app and to look in the market. Having said that the froyo app is nice but I seems half finished, what is with those empty cells on the second page and could one of the ROM modders add features to the stock app?
  4. Jameshpatterson

Jameshpatterson New Member

Look up the app called car dock. I use this constantly. You can even use custom icons very easily.the dev is a quick response to questions as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk