Impressive Launcher App for Android: QQLauncher

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I just switched to ADW. Bye GO! I don't need it phoning home, etc.

Another thing is that GO took ADW's code (it's open source) and added some features. They also added quite a lot of extra unneeded privilege requirements. Does GO make their source code available? I did some cursory searches and I can't find it. Is GO violating ADW's license? As a software dev, I care about this type of thing but everyone should care because you might be dealing with a very shady company that has access to much of the data on your phone.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Maybe I haven't used a new-fangled custom launcher in a while (been running Launcher Pro on my D3) but I was intrigued that it somehow ran without first being selected as the default, i.e., normally you get a pop-up with the choice of all launchers until you make one default (right?). And so I went into applications and lo and behold, QQ didn't even have the option to clear it as default. So basically, "my way or the highway." No option to switch between stock and QQ. Kinda weird.

-Matt

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Maybe I haven't used a new-fangled custom launcher in a while (been running Launcher Pro on my D3) but I was intrigued that it somehow ran without first being selected as the default, i.e., normally you get a pop-up with the choice of all launchers until you make one default (right?). And so I went into applications and lo and behold, QQ didn't even have the option to clear it as default. So basically, "my way or the highway." No option to switch between stock and QQ. Kinda weird.

-Matt

Can you go to stock browser and set as default?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Can you go to stock browser and set as default?
On the D3 (Gingerbread) it's "Homescreen", right? Checked both Homescreen and QQ Launcher Pro and both have the "Launch by default" option grayed out. Since I can't launch Homescreen there's no obvious way to switch back -- without a homescreen switcher, of course!

-Matt

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
On the D3 (Gingerbread) it's "Homescreen", right? Checked both Homescreen and QQ Launcher Pro and both have the "Launch by default" option grayed out. Since I can't launch Homescreen there's no obvious way to switch back -- without a homescreen switcher, of course!

-Matt

As I don't have a D3, you may want to re-post your problem here: Droid 3 Tech Support

May get someone with the same problem, or at least someone with more knowledge about the phone than me.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've used that one too..its a little too iphoney for me though..but its nice..Regina has a nice effect but, needs much much more for me...Also breeze..more of an app drawer organizer with sound effects...um...I always seem to come back to Launcher pro or adw...idk...go launcher as well..I love trying new ones..I also have the paid version of Windows 7..it got old fast too..lol Many many more out there..I'm just not big on any iphone looks...but that's just me....even when I get miui running, I have to use my launcher pro to keep my android look! Lol

CyanogenMod 7 ®© CyanogenMod7

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

-Matt

App called Home Switcher will take care of that for you. Also, you can go to applications/manage applications/ and clear defaults on the QQ Launcher.

I used QQ Launcher but did not like that i could not get rid of the "ghosting/shadows" highlighting the Dock and that I could not re-size icons. Minor nit-picks, but that's what it came down to for me. YMMV!!

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is also the ssbutterfly or whatever, and its kinda cool and lots of custimizations..if you like this one give it a try...:)

CyanogenMod 7 ®© CyanogenMod7

deborah3756

Reaction score
QQ is ok, but, I like GoLauncher better. Go has more themes and when you access other QQ apps and themes in the Market the descriptions are written in Chinese, Sorry, don't speak or read Mandarin.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
App called Home Switcher will take care of that for you. Also, you can go to applications/manage applications/ and clear defaults on the QQ Launcher.
Thanks, yep, I noted that too (Home Switcher) in a later post. Unfortunately under "Manage Applications" the "Clear default" option is grayed out for both QQ and stock home. Not a biggie though.

As I don't have a D3, you may want to re-post your problem here: Droid 3 Tech Support

May get someone with the same problem, or at least someone with more knowledge about the phone than me.
Cool, thanks!

-Matt

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Does anyone else hate allowing apps to access SMS, SD card, GPS location, contact data, and identity while having the ability to send SMSes and make phone calls, all with full internet access? QQ requires all of these. GO requires all this except reading/sending SMS and GPS, which is a little better I guess. I use GO but it does bother me that it "phones home". I don't need my launcher to have internet access. I understand that some of these privileges are necessary for some functionality, but personally I don't need my launcher to do anything but launch apps and display widgets. Launcher Pro is another that asks for too much.

Look at the privileges required by a launcher like Zeam: read contacts & call phone numbers. Now that's more like it. No internet access. No chance of sending my contacts to who knows where.

Personally, I can't wait until I can ditch GO for a launcher made by a developer that is responsible about what privileges are required. Zeam and ADW are the candidates right now and as much as I like GO I'm thinking of switching just for my own peace of mind.
I completely understand how you feel, but sadly this is just a growing trend. It seems like every time I want to download an app or game, it has a ton of unneeded permissions. In the case of full Internet access for a launcher, well I think this is needed for it to auto check for updates, but I sympathize with you because this with say the ability to read contact data, opens up a huge privacy issue. Sadly I think this is just going to get worse and worse. Also I do not believe it is always the devs fault aside from choosing the add provider they do. For example, Transdroid added the permission to "read phone state and identity" in a recent update. The dev noted this was due to a switch in add providers, which is even worse imo, then the dev simply adding the permission. It created a huge backlash, and the dev switched back to his previous ad provider in about 24-48 hours as the app rating was going down like a sinking ship!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I completely understand how you feel, but sadly this is just a growing trend. It seems like every time I want to download an app or game, it has a ton of unneeded permissions. In the case of full Internet access for a launcher, well I think this is needed for it to auto check for updates, but I sympathize with you because this with say the ability to read contact data, opens up a huge privacy issue. Sadly I think this is just going to get worse and worse. Also I do not believe it is always the devs fault aside from choosing the add provider they do. For example, Transdroid added the permission to "read phone state and identity" in a recent update. The dev noted this was due to a switch in add providers, which is even worse imo, then the dev simply adding the permission. It created a huge backlash, and the dev switched back to his previous ad provider in about 24-48 hours as the app rating was going down like a sinking ship!

Devs will continue to create apps that require too many permissions as long as people keep downloading them. It's the same old story. Thankfully, there are a lot of devs that are responsible.

The ad server issue is a problem. There's at least one open issue on the Google code site for Android that proposes having a separate privilege just for ad servers. I think it would be great if there was just a "download permission". That way, ads could be downloaded and displayed without any fear that data is being uploaded.