Impressing,1-upping friends with iPhones

OP
ShowTime

ShowTime

Reaction score
Being a male in my mid 20s; having things that are cooler and better than my friends is obviously crucial to my self-esteem and personal well-being. :biggrin:
As common as that is, it's more a personal issue rather than an age issue. I've never understood people that rely on products for their personal identity. I could understand it if a person was a developer of the Droid but just buying the Droid (or clothes/car/you name it) doesn't prove anything about the person.

The only thing that impresses me about a person's device purchase is evidence that the person put some thought into it (i.e. how it suits them specifically) versus just going with whatever happens to be trendy at the time. Device pissing contests are pretty pointless IMO but to each his own.

For the record, I was being sarcastic. You know, how stereotypically, males of my age are, to use your own fitting phrase, all about pissing contests amongst each other. I have no personal need or drive to outdo others' possessions. In fact, this phone is the first time in my life I've ever owned the newest, techiest, hot thing out there. Normally, I'm the type to save and bargain shop for months, and then get a cheaper, less feature-rich item because it will still do what I need it to and I can spend the extra money elsewhere. But I travel alot and was thinking of buying a portable gps. At the same time, I was eligible for my NE2 and my old phone was on its last legs so I decided a new phone with gps killed two birds with one stone, not to mention giving me crazy easy access to my e-mail, websites, research info and other stuff I need/use for school daily. And since I wasn't willing to change carriers or get an unrestricted phone, the Droid fit the bill perfectly. :)

Briankbl

Reaction score
Being a male in my mid 20s; having things that are cooler and better than my friends is obviously crucial to my self-esteem and personal well-being. :biggrin:
As common as that is, it's more a personal issue rather than an age issue. I've never understood people that rely on products for their personal identity. I could understand it if a person was a developer of the Droid but just buying the Droid (or clothes/car/you name it) doesn't prove anything about the person.

The only thing that impresses me about a person's device purchase is evidence that the person put some thought into it (i.e. how it suits them specifically) versus just going with whatever happens to be trendy at the time. Device pissing contests are pretty pointless IMO but to each his own.

For the record, I was being sarcastic. You know, how stereotypically, males of my age are, to use your own fitting phrase, all about pissing contests amongst each other. I have no personal need or drive to outdo others' possessions. In fact, this phone is the first time in my life I've ever owned the newest, techiest, hot thing out there. Normally, I'm the type to save and bargain shop for months, and then get a cheaper, less feature-rich item because it will still do what I need it to and I can spend the extra money elsewhere. But I travel alot and was thinking of buying a portable gps. At the same time, I was eligible for my NE2 and my old phone was on its last legs so I decided a new phone with gps killed two birds with one stone, not to mention giving me crazy easy access to my e-mail, websites, research info and other stuff I need/use for school daily. And since I wasn't willing to change carriers or get an unrestricted phone, the Droid fit the bill perfectly. :)

Comments like this make me facepalm myself for not having awesome phones like this when I was in school. It would have been so freakin' helpful/convenient.

OP
ShowTime

ShowTime

Reaction score
Widgets are a good suggestion. They are an incredibly nifty feature, even though I don't have many or customize them yet. I do also like the voice search, to mapped local locations, to navigate, to street view, etc. That whole process usually at least gets a raised eyebrow (not to mention when a friend tries to replicate the process on their iPhone only to discover they don't have strong enough 3G... from now on I'm only comparing phones with an iPhone owner in my friend's bunker of a basement:icon_ devil:).

As for the VZW vs. AT&T commercials... I prefer the one where the kid in the background is trying to talk on one phone and surf on another, because "that's what you have to do on Verizon". Has anyone ever looked that uncoordinated doing anything in their life, ever? Apparently, Verizon induces neurological symptoms that make using one's fingers to operate a phone impossible, while also hindering one's hearing and ability to hold a phone between their shoulder and ear. Crazy!

Last edited:

Briankbl

Reaction score
AT&T also combats Verizon's map with the "but our 3G is faster" line. Guess what AT&T................I would rather just HAVE 3G coverage! It doesn't matter how fast it is if I can't get it...

myriad46

Reaction score
Their 3g is faster by Luke Wilson's head. It's not as if it's twice as fast. 10 % is a crappy trade off for poor coverage.

lschicky

Reaction score
Comments like this make me facepalm myself for not having awesome phones like this when I was in school. It would have been so freakin' helpful/convenient.

Yeah, or just in life in general. Smart Phones would have been amazing when I worked production in Vegas.

ilikefishes

Reaction score
I like the widgets and I like to show them how I can go into Ringdroid and download an audio file. Then I make a ringtone out of any part of the song that I want to. I then save that one and make another one out of the same song and save it. At that point, I tell them when I owned an iphone and wanted to make a ringtone, I paid $1.99 for the song through i-tunes and then I paid $.99 for every ringtone that I made out of that song. So, in relationship, I spend $4-6 on something that is free with the Droid. Droid does!

darreno1

Reaction score
So many things but I'll name just a few:

Google Sky - wait for nightfall and ask them to figure which star is what. Or simply point it to the sky and show them how it uses the compass. Watch them try to find an equivalent with no success

Wifi Analyzer - find all the free wifi hotspots around you quickly and ask them to do the same - watch them try to match you only to realize they have to pay for it. Their free versions suck by comparison.

Barcode scanner - Scan a barcode real quick and watch them try to find something that does the same. Their version is redlaser which is a paid app. Shopsavvy is free but you have that too...and it sucks compared to barcode scanner.

Sweeter home 2 beta - download this homescreen and go to town customizing a bunch of screens. You can put tons of widgets on one and icons on the other. This will surely dazzle them.

Google voice search - they probably know about this already but rub it in their faces. Find a place real quick and set up a navigation route. Their free nav belongs in a dumpster and I doubt they're going to pay for the better one.

Dolphin Browser 2.0 - this wipes the floor with Safari. Show them the tabs, gesture functions. You can also download files straight to your sd card and use your phone as an external hard disk. Don't get hung up on smoothness of the animation - they'll have the upper hand there, just concentrate on what they don't have. Also show them the fact you can have as many browsers as you want without having to hack.

Multitask - open a bunch of Apps including an internet streaming app like streamfurious or Droidlive lite, open email, open a web browser etc. Then long-press the home button to quickly switch back and forth between them all the while streaming something in the background. Then switch to another screen with your contact, calendar and music widgets running then switch back. Ask them to do something similar.......lol.

Youtube - load up a movie trailer in HD and play it in high quality. Watch their jaw drop.

Last edited:

orthocoder

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I went head to head with 2 iPhones and 2 Blackberries today at a "team building" event for work. We had to do a geo-caching scavenger hunt and answer 30 trivia questions along the way at a small zoo. The IPhools couldn't get a signal where we were and the Blackberries were Verizon but couldn't keep up with my Droid. Needless to say, all were amazed...

metsnfins

Reaction score
UNFORTUNATELY, the graphics on our games blow compared to the iphone games

but besides that, it's no comparison

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
That's the website I went on earlier that said to download it from the market which said zero results for google goggles. I don't see any links on there either to just download it.

mariadee

Reaction score
That's the website I went on earlier that said to download it from the market which said zero results for google goggles. I don't see any links on there either to just download it.

As far as I know, it isn't available yet to the Eris (1.5..)