Impressing,1-upping friends with iPhones

ShowTime

Reaction score
So here's my first post. I got my Droid about a month ago. I love it. It is easily the coolest piece of technology I've ever personally owned. None of my friends have one, or have even seen one (a lot didn't even know what it was when i said I got a Droid... highly disappointing), but I do have quite a few friends who have iphones. Being a male in my mid 20s; having things that are cooler and better than my friends is obviously crucial to my self-esteem and personal well-being. :biggrin:
My question is, when someone with an iphone wants to check out your Droid, what do you show them to impress them and 1-up their iphone? One of the biggest things I like about my Droid is the physical QWERTY keyboard (although I am liking the touchscreen one more and more). But beyond that I get bogged down. And I'm not looking for "faster processing", "better browser", "crisper display", etc. I've seen all the comparison threads between shared features for the two phones. I'm looking for Droid specific features, apps, etc that I can show and won't produce the annoying and rather unsatisfying "oh yea that's pretty much the same as my iphone" response. Your thoughts?

deputc26

Reaction score
The droid and iPhone are actually very similar in hardware and in software capabilities, the droid does do more, the iPhone does look prettier. For me the main reason for getting a Droid over an iPhone is that the droid has real gps. I can be at the north pole with no signal and my gps will still work (though it does take a couple minutes to get the signal) an iPhone only has aGPS, it will only work if you have a cell/data connection/signal.

cyclops

Reaction score
How about the LED flashlight app:), a little multitasking, and of course show em what a movie looks like on the Droid screen!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Beautiful Widgets..load up some skins....swap them out and watch them :icon_eek:

tktouch12

Reaction score
For me the main reason for getting a Droid over an iPhone is that the droid has real gps. I can be at the north pole with no signal and my gps will still work (though it does take a couple minutes to get the signal) an iPhone only has aGPS, it will only work if you have a cell/data connection/signal.

it will work with no signal? but dont you need the signal in order to load the map? otherwise you will have a white screen and gps directions. so i guess that works, but am i wrong in this thinking?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
For me the main reason for getting a Droid over an iPhone is that the droid has real gps. I can be at the north pole with no signal and my gps will still work (though it does take a couple minutes to get the signal) an iPhone only has aGPS, it will only work if you have a cell/data connection/signal.

it will work with no signal? but dont you need the signal in order to load the map? otherwise you will have a white screen and gps directions. so i guess that works, but am i wrong in this thinking?

There are several apps that can cache the maps for you.

ValkF6

Reaction score
It's got an open architecture, so you're not under the thumb of some uptight corporation that has to control everything.

kenkamm

Reaction score
Change your home screen background picture. No backgrounds allowed on the iPhone.

Swap out your battery.

Put a widget on your home screen.

Create a folder and put a few apps in it. Heck, just place some of your apps on your home screen with spaces in between them. No can do on the iPhone.

Challenge them to tell you how many notifications they missed just by looking at the phone. (iPhone badly needs an LED like the droid IMO)

Show them how you can edit playlists for your music collection right on the phone. Or delete a song if you want.

I could go on and on... I used an iPhone for a long time and I still think it's a great device. I just wanted to try something new.

OP
ShowTime

ShowTime

Reaction score
Widgets and personalized backgrounds... hmm not bad. I'll have to check out Beautiful Widgets. I know anytime people are listing their favorite apps, that tends to be among the top typically.

How about the LED flashlight app:), a little multitasking, and of course show em what a movie looks like on the Droid screen!

Good one haha. Nothing like making a light actually light up on command to impress the masses :D I've just got the DroidLight app, so no fancy strobes or anything. But it does the job.

carbonnoid

Reaction score
I literally just throw on my Gameboy Advance. I play me some pokemon fire red, answer a text, and continue back to my pokemon, all in about 10 seconds of course with swype. we can always sprinkle on playing slacker while playing GBA as well, or phone my pc really impresses people. I literally can go on all day.

Mr. Premium

Reaction score
How about having them download the iPhone app that lets them tell AT&T how crappy their network is.

I don't think verizon has an app for that...

I live in a somewhat small college town and my friend's iPhone has to rely on the campus' wifi. I have 3g everywhere.

+1 for Droid/Verizon

csodjd

Reaction score
I always do the same thing or two. First, I show them the screen with some text and a web page. I bring up yahoo.com (full, not mobile), show the whole page, then double tap and it zooms in to read the columns with text quality way beyond the iPhone. Then I bring up the voice and say, "The Chart House in Malibu California." In a click or two I have it on the map with directions from wherever I am. Then I'll zoom in and show the traffic on the route. By then they are usually pretty impressed.

deputc26

Reaction score

I use RMaps which allows you to store huge maps on your SD card, I have 5gb of high-res topo and satellite maps for CO, Rainier, Hood, the Sierra's, Alaska and Vancouver island loaded on my droid.