Impressed with D2G...but bloatware...jeeze!..LP hide?

Soucouant61

Reaction score
Just got my D2G. I've been working with it and learning as fast as I can. However the bloatware is truly annoying. I bought LP and used it to hide these apps. One, Amazon mp3, keeps coming back and will not stay hidden. I understand rooting is an option, but some people talk about "freezing" rather than removing bloatware. Anyone have more detailed instructions on the bloatware freeze/removal procedure? I've read the sticky on rooting.

DroidMan3977

Reaction score
well i suggest dl a stock rooted rom and using 7zip on your pc to open the file and just delete the apps you dont need then put the file on your the root of your sd card and boot it. Just easiest for me.

leobg

Reaction score
Just got my D2G. I've been working with it and learning as fast as I can. However the bloatware is truly annoying. I bought LP and used it to hide these apps. One, Amazon mp3, keeps coming back and will not stay hidden. I understand rooting is an option, but some people talk about "freezing" rather than removing bloatware. Anyone have more detailed instructions on the bloatware freeze/removal procedure? I've read the sticky on rooting.

You can root it, then with the help of root explorer (or manually) rename the amazon mp3 apk in /system/app to extension that is not apk. This will remove it from the system. Shall you need it back - simply restore the original name and extension and it will show right up. Alternatively - freezing an be done with the help of titanium backup.

Be very careful (I see you are since you paid attention to the warning sticky), do not remove/freeze APK's that you don't know what they do as you risk getting stuck at boot (or after wipe) and until official Motorola SBF for Droid2Global phone will remain unusable.

OP
S

Soucouant61

Reaction score
I guess I may hold off for a bit until I know what are essential files for the phone to work properly.

XanRules

Reaction score
I have the same problem with Amazon MP3.
I've had Verizon since the StarTAC days, and I'm always just incredulous at how much crap they load onto their phones.

They don't want people rooting their phones? Maybe they should allow us to delete the garbage we don't want.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

menoarenoniceguy

Reaction score
Make your life easier, just root your phone, buy the pro version of titanium backup and just freeze all that crappy bloatware. problem = solved.

jayarmstrong

Reaction score
Also, the amazon mp3 app will not run in the background if you disable "resume downloads" under settings. Odd but it works.