1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Imports

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by tehpriest, Feb 24, 2010.

1. tehpriest

tehpriest New Member

I have been reading around this forum and it appears that the "DROID" is a much better choice than the "Milestone" for functionality and expansion. Can anyone tell me if a DROID from another country could be used in the UK? I may then look into importing one.

Thanks.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Droid is exclusive to Verizon Wireless so unless there is Verizon in the UK, and I highly doubt that then no. My understanding is Milestone is similar to Droid.
  3. tehpriest

tehpriest New Member

I know this may sound a little dumb but why can I not take a UK mobile network sim card and put it into a Verizon Droid?
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Not a dumb question at all. It's a good question, I don't have an answer for that.
  5. lockman

lockman New Member

Verizon is CDMA, doesn't use SIM cards. Europe is GSM. Not compatible.
  6. tehpriest

tehpriest New Member

So is there a DROID which will work with a UK sim card? According to the many threads on this forum it has many advantages not least is that it is not locked down. Or is there a Milestone anywhere that is not locked down like the Euro versions?
  7. christim

christim Super Moderator

There is no place on a Droid to place a sim card. The Droid and the Milestone are similar yet have different chipsets. The Droid would not work on the European cell tower network. Research the Milestone as I think that is what you want. It got the built in multi touch browser first and that app got applied to the Droid. I think that whatever runs on one can run on the other.
  8. tehpriest

tehpriest New Member

It seems not. Well not without rooting/jailbreaking it anyway and that voids the warranty. And for instance Google maps directions cannot be installed on the UK version only a paid for version from another software company.