Imports

tehpriest

Reaction score
I have been reading around this forum and it appears that the "DROID" is a much better choice than the "Milestone" for functionality and expansion. Can anyone tell me if a DROID from another country could be used in the UK? I may then look into importing one.

Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been reading around this forum and it appears that the "DROID" is a much better choice than the "Milestone" for functionality and expansion. Can anyone tell me if a DROID from another country could be used in the UK? I may then look into importing one.

Thanks.

Droid is exclusive to Verizon Wireless so unless there is Verizon in the UK, and I highly doubt that then no. My understanding is Milestone is similar to Droid.

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
I know this may sound a little dumb but why can I not take a UK mobile network sim card and put it into a Verizon Droid?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know this may sound a little dumb but why can I not take a UK mobile network sim card and put it into a Verizon Droid?

Not a dumb question at all. It's a good question, I don't have an answer for that.

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
So is there a DROID which will work with a UK sim card? According to the many threads on this forum it has many advantages not least is that it is not locked down. Or is there a Milestone anywhere that is not locked down like the Euro versions?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There is no place on a Droid to place a sim card. The Droid and the Milestone are similar yet have different chipsets. The Droid would not work on the European cell tower network. Research the Milestone as I think that is what you want. It got the built in multi touch browser first and that app got applied to the Droid. I think that whatever runs on one can run on the other.

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
It seems not. Well not without rooting/jailbreaking it anyway and that voids the warranty. And for instance Google maps directions cannot be installed on the UK version only a paid for version from another software company.