Imports

tehpriest

Reaction score
I have been reading around this forum and it appears that the "DROID" is a much better choice than the "Milestone" for functionality and expansion. Can anyone tell me if a DROID from another country could be used in the UK? I may then look into importing one.

Thanks.

ForBirdie22

Reaction score
You will not be able to use the Motorola Droid in the UK as the phone is a CDMA only phone which only works on Verizon (US). It also does not have a slot of the GSM chip.

You will need to buy a Milestone if you want to use this phone but like you said, it does have restrictions to the boot loader by Motorola.

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
I am very very disappointed that Google Directions is not on it as well only that paid for GPS. The two things together are making me have second thoughts. The N900 my other alternative.

big_adventure

Reaction score
I am very very disappointed that Google Directions is not on it as well only that paid for GPS. The two things together are making me have second thoughts. The N900 my other alternative.

Evidently you have not actually done much research here. You can install a working Google Maps with navigation that works anywhere, very, very easily. You don't need to hack, you don't need root, you don't have to do anything illegal.

DAGr8

Reaction score

Evidently you have not actually done much research here. You can install a working Google Maps with navigation that works anywhere, very, very easily. You don't need to hack, you don't need root, you don't have to do anything illegal.

stupid question Big_adventure but is root / phone hack illegal anywherei n the world ? I know in some place its a grey area , but certainly nto 'per say' illegal or is it ? I know you were probably not refering to this when you said illegal ...

big_adventure

Reaction score
stupid question Big_adventure but is root / phone hack illegal anywherei n the world ? I know in some place its a grey area , but certainly nto 'per say' illegal or is it ? I know you were probably not refering to this when you said illegal ...

There's always a question, and you'd have to look at the local laws, but as I understand them in the US as well as in France, nothing that we do rooting or anything like that is in any way illegal. We own the phone, the most that Motorola or Google could do is deny us service. We are not running afoul of DMCA (US) or EC digital copyright laws (which can carry criminal as well as civil liabilities), because those are all related to cracking encryption or DRM. "Hacking" linux OR Android is not illegal at all, since both are open source, and the licences in question specifically give us the right to do what we are doing.

If you stole the TI or Motorola private keys tied to their certificates, that would be illegal, of course, and if you distributed them after "finding them", that would also tag you. But we're not doing that.

Remember that our root is just installing open-source su and SuperUser.apk files - that is DEFINITELY not even a little bit illegal.

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but my reading of the Google nav thread seemed to say it was not fully functional. It said something along the lines of the turn arrows not being present and the voice being late or non existent. Have I read it wrong or read the wrong thread?

big_adventure

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but my reading of the Google nav thread seemed to say it was not fully functional. It said something along the lines of the turn arrows not being present and the voice being late or non existent. Have I read it wrong or read the wrong thread?

I get voice, and I see arrows. The street name is missing (you can see it on the map, of course, but there is a small frame that is meant to show you a street, and it says "unavailable").

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies on both threads and questions. Now to look around for a good deal...... :motdroidhoriz:

big_adventure

Reaction score
No problem. It isn't perfect, but it is still the best Android phone with a physical keyboard, and I like those.

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
That is exactly why I haven't gone Android until now. The ones with the full qwerty all seem to be bigger even than the E90 and the touch screen alone ones never appealed to me.. If the E90 had touch screen and the user interface of the Stone I would not be upgrading I must admit as it has been an excellent piece of kit. Is there any news on the Cut/Paste difficulties I have read about here ? If only there was a CTRL key or equiv shortcut combo.

Szadzik

Reaction score
That is exactly why I haven't gone Android until now. The ones with the full qwerty all seem to be bigger even than the E90 and the touch screen alone ones never appealed to me.. If the E90 had touch screen and the user interface of the Stone I would not be upgrading I must admit as it has been an excellent piece of kit. Is there any news on the Cut/Paste difficulties I have read about here ? If only there was a CTRL key or equiv shortcut combo.

Are you sure you checked the size of Milestone?

Comparing it to E90:

Nokia E90 132 x 57 x 20 mm 210 g
Milestone 115.8 x 60 x 13.7 mm 165 g

So E90 is 1.4cm taller; 3mm narrower and 6mm thicker and 55g heavier!

Source: GSMArena

Last edited:
OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
The relevant words here are "until now" I fully agree with you about the Stone. :)

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
T-Mobile £25 inc. Internet

600 cross-network mins + 500 texts + Unlimited data • 24 months
£ 25.00 a month (First 5 months half price)

Some offers are just to good to miss :icon_ devil:

:motdroidhoriz: