importing geocaches into CacheMate

Tree Toad

Reaction score
Please forgive me if this has been handled but I need to know how to import geocaches from Geocaching.com into CacheMate on my Droid. Thanks!!!!!!:icon_eek:

Steveindajeep

Reaction score
I use geobeagle but I would imagine the instructions are somewhat the same. When on the geocaching.com site go to individual info page of the cache you are interested in. On the bottom of the page you'll see "For online maps...", click on "Google Maps" under that. Than you will than be asked what program you want to complete the action with, in your case you would select cachemate. That should do it.

Below are some pages on geobeagle with instructions...

GeoBeagle - Cacheopedia

GeoBeagle freeware for the Android phones

geobeagle - Project Hosting on Google Code

OP
T

Tree Toad

Reaction score
Got CacheMate installed and registered and the import was a piece of cake.

heliopilot

Reaction score
OK, I'm new to Droid. I used Cachemate on my Palm Treo and maybe that has me confused. I used to do a Geocaching.com pocket query, run it on GSAK and then export to my Palm. How can I do this with the Droid. I have Cachemate installed but can't figure out the process. I want to download multiple caches at once, not one at a time from Geocaching.com. Thanks for any help.

nighthawk700

Reaction score
OK, I'm new to Droid. I used Cachemate on my Palm Treo and maybe that has me confused. I used to do a Geocaching.com pocket query, run it on GSAK and then export to my Palm. How can I do this with the Droid. I have Cachemate installed but can't figure out the process. I want to download multiple caches at once, not one at a time from Geocaching.com. Thanks for any help.

Same here, I used Cachemate on Palm for years. Good news! You don't need to go to GSAK and make the pdb file anymore! Cachemate on Android can read GPX files! There are a few ways to get things in. I use K9 email. I emailed myself the GPX file (not zipped, I should try it zipped too...). When I clicked on the file, it asked if I wanted to import into Cachemate. Yep!!!

The other way is if you hook up directly to your computer (via USB), put the GPX file on the SD card, then tell Cachemate to load it up. (might want to change the default to put it in "not found" rather than "unfiled" depending on your PQ.

Tip for when you go a hunting. It appears that being in the dock will mess up your "compass" heading on Cachmate. I couldn't get mine to point in the right direction until after I removed it from the car dock. Maybe the magnet was messing with the compass?

I downloaded TwiDroid, and after I log a cache, I shoot myself a quick tweet. That gives me my caches in order, and a link so when I get back to my computer, it's easier to enter them all. If you get SMS service (I don't) you can use that, it'd probably be even better since it integrates with Geoaching.com more.

The one thing I haven't been able to get it to do yet is when I select a cache, have it go to Navigation to help me drive close to the cache before going to compass mode and hot foot it. I found my first two Droid only caches today. (as opposed to using my PN-40).

Hope this helps!

Nighthawk700 (here and on GC)

heliopilot

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. So, I can cut the GSAK cord? I emailed my pocket query email from Geocaching.com to my gmail account and opened it on the phone. When I opened the attached zip file it gave me the option to open with Cachemate and downloaded the query into the database. Slower than a Palm HotSync but it worked. Now I know how to use the Droid in my caching trips. I'll try it out this weekend. I expect to continue using my Garmin 60Csx as the primary caching tool. I've dropped GPSr-s in water, left them laying by the cache after setting them down to sign the log and don't want to risk my phone that way. I'll play with it a little but trust my Garmin.

nighthawk700

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. So, I can cut the GSAK cord?

Yes. Although GSAK is good for other things if you want more advance filtering or other things.

I emailed my pocket query email from Geocaching.com to my gmail account and opened it on the phone. When I opened the attached zip file it gave me the option to open with Cachemate and downloaded the query into the database. Slower than a Palm HotSync but it worked.
Cool, next time I'll just send the zip. As for it being slower than a Palm Sync, true, but then again, how long did it take to download the GPX, import into GSAK, create the PDB, then send to the Palm?

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Hey just looked up what geocaching is. Sounds so fun. How long have you guys been doing it. I had never heard of it before I found the app in the market. Man where have I been? Sorry didnt add anything to this thread but it sounds fun.

nighthawk700

Reaction score
I started 6 years ago, then was dormant for a while until my kids were old enough to want to do it as well. I learned of it when following several GPS forums.

gszeman

Reaction score
Hi...has anyone ran into issues importing zip files directly to cachemate from email? When I "click" on the zip file and choose import to cachemate it says 'file does not exist or can't be accessed'. I'll try the cachemate site for help too...but I just ran across this thread.

Thanks
Glenn