IMPORTANT: Launcher Pro Users

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by icculusX, Aug 12, 2010.

1. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

IMPORTANT: Launcher Pro Users

I have been having issues with LauncherPro and just found the solution to all of my problems. I just wanted to post this in the case that someone else might have been in my shoes, not literally, eww.

Issue:
    I am a huge Launcher Pro fan. It's the best launcher out there in my opinion, however I was having this horrible re-loading issue where the launcher would seem to have to load everything back into memory upon hitting the 'home' key. It seemed to happen mostly after I would use a memory intensive app like the browser, games, or something like that. After returning home, it would basically be blank and take 10 to 15 seconds to re-load and be ready to use, with is a LONG time to wait when your busy. I was ready to give up on LPro, untill I got a solution...

Solution:
    So I was on IRC the other day asking about this and someone (wish I could remember who for credits) told me that many people were having this re-loading issue with LPro that had kernels above 1000. I was running a 1100 ULV kernel and decided to flash back to a 800 LV to see what happened and BAM! It works! I have been on this lower kernel since last night and I have not had one single re-load on my LauncherPro! Plus my phone is fast enough so I don't see the need to desire a high end kernel as I used to. Also, I think it's time I sent the developer some cash for the full version now that i know the issue wasnt his fault! Hope this helps at least someone!

:icon_ banana:dancedroid​

FYI: I am using UD eXtreme 6.0.0 with P3 800LV kernel with lots of goodies!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

I am using the default 800 Mhz kernel that comes with BB and still have redraws.
  3. icculusX

Hmm, like how often? Just every so often or a lot? Maybe flash a P3 or something? Maybe flash UD haha...
  4. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

too bad just setting your cpu at under 1K won't do it.
  5. Mechanicat

Mechanicat New Member

I'm completely stock & have redraw lag. I figured it was normal, its crunching a lot of sh*t & its processing slower then my 12 year old boat anchor Gateway.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. icculusX

Damn, I thought posting this would help out so many people. I mean mine was redrawing after using a lot of apps and after I flashed the P3 800 kernel I literally have had no issues. Sorry folks! Thought I had the fix!

Plus I have tons of apps, 2 custom full docs, 7 screens, photos and widgets, 3d launcher 5 icons across, QuickDesk running in the background, and much more. Maybe it is just my UD6 ROM and Kernel combo? I dono....
  7. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

8. machnhed

machnhed New Member

LOL I'm sure it helped some people! Hell, the more suggestions out there, the better.

Personally, I was getting a ton of redraws before... both using the Launcher Pro and Pro Plus versions, P3 LV250-1000 kernel, and with a stock FRF84 ROM and UD 5.0.1 ROM. 5 homescreens, about 8 widgets.

I've since started using BB 0.4 and changed to Pete's LV250-1100 kernel, moved up to 7 screens, 3 docks, all notifications on, and have this thing LOADED with widgets. Not only has my phone improved speed-wise significantly, but VERY rarely get a redraw. MAAAYYYBBBE when coming out of navigation or something pretty graphically intensive, but otherwise, this combination of ROM, kernel and setup has drastically improved everything. I didn't even touch the memory tweaks in LauncherPro, nor did I have to use Minfree or any memory manager.
    Just my 2 cents in the ongoing debate as to why this happens... dancedroid

Zack
    PS: Using this config, I'm consistently getting near 1300 on a Quadrant benchmark as well! That's with everything running as-is, and I'm more than satisfied. I topped out in the 1500s when I killed all the running apps and widgets.
  9. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

All is not lost, instead of flashing a new kernel, I backed up my ROM then reinstalled the same ROM with the 800 kernel option. I don't know yet (I did it last night before bed) if it's helped but I noticed I've got an extra bar on the wifi icon, something I was complaining about earlier.

Will keep an eye on this.

Just for another input about the lag, there's a thread about using MinFreeManager app and I did try that and noticed a big difference. Didn't eliminate the lag all together, but definite improvement.
  10. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

You know what stops redraws, Compcache. It's a feature on Sapphire 1.0, and since I turned it on (about a week now) I have not had one redraw!dancedroid