imap question

segen77

Reaction score
I am trying to setup a new e-mail account on both my phone and outlook 2003. I am able to get both devices to receive the e-mail just fine, but i'm unable to get either to send without entering smtp.gmail.com as an outgoing server. the problem with this is that the e-mail then appears as if it's coming from that account.

I have tried both smtp.mydomain.com and mail.mydomain.com and can't auth out on either outlook or the phone.

I think the only option I'm left with is to get with the host and tell them I need IMAP SMTP access, but I wanted to check here first to see if there are any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am trying to setup a new e-mail account on both my phone and outlook 2003. I am able to get both devices to receive the e-mail just fine, but i'm unable to get either to send without entering smtp.gmail.com as an outgoing server. the problem with this is that the e-mail then appears as if it's coming from that account.

I have tried both smtp.mydomain.com and mail.mydomain.com and can't auth out on either outlook or the phone.

I think the only option I'm left with is to get with the host and tell them I need IMAP SMTP access, but I wanted to check here first to see if there are any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, segen77! Take a look here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/40064-droidforums-stock-solutions-thread.html and see if anything in here might give you some ideas. Just post a thread if you're still stuck!

:welcome:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
"the problem with this is that the e-mail then appears as if it's coming from that account."

Huh?

It would come from that server, however the email address is still the one with your hosted domain...

If you don't want it fromthe gmail server, then you do need to contact your host for the domain and get the proper smtp settings for imap.

I can send from my domain account fine thru either.

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
OK. Back to this issue. I have since found out my local isp blocks pt 25, so i had my host setup pt 2525 and i can now send out imap using outlook 2003. incoming & outgoing both have the same settings as follows:
server = mail.mydomain.com
user = [email protected]

The problem i am having now is on the droid. I've tried both the stock e-mail app and k-9. both apps can receive just fine, but neither can send out. if i have the smtp server set as mail.mydomain.com pt 2525 and no authentication it will at least get past the setup screen (where it allegedly tests the account) but then nothing gets past the outbox. I receive a connection error. When I try to setup the authentication i get an error that says something to the affect of server doesn't support this type of authentication (when trying to setup the account).

So, it seems that I'm halfway there. Outlook works, Droid doesn't. I'm sure someone on here has the answer.

Thanks

Bob_Stan

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. I solved it by deleting the account and starting over. I made sure on the second attempt that I picked MANUAL SETUP. Also, the program seems to default to what it thinks your mail servers should be named - not necessarily what they are named.

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
Just tried to delete and recreat manually
Stock e-mail app
smtp
using pt 2525
security type set to none
require sign in checked
U&P set same as incoming
I get error "authentication type not supported by server"

Then tried to uncheck require sign in
it checks the server settings and goes to next screen.
i check both
send from this account as default
notify me when email arrives

Finish setup.

everything appears in inbox as it should.

Try to send, and get a connection error.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you'd like to stop pulling your hair out, just download K-9 and go to "manage identities" in the "more" set of selections from the account settings menu.

You can send email with the address you choose.

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
If you'd like to stop pulling your hair out, just download K-9 and go to "manage identities" in the "more" set of selections from the account settings menu.

You can send email with the address you choose.

This doesn't really fix my issue. The problem is I can't send with my mail server smtp settings. The only way I can send is if I use gmail smtp settings in which case it sends the e-mail out showing it's from my authenticated gmail account.

I tried the manage identites part, and that is setup to show the account at my domain that i would like it to show. It just simply doesn't send out using that account.

Any other ideas?

thanks

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
So, I've looked into this custom from option as well, and it doesn't look like it's going to work.

I don't want it to state gmail anywhere in the reply.

your message will be sent from:eek:[email protected], sender:[email protected]

I'm truly surprised there's no one in here that has actually had this IMAP issue. It seems like anyone using IMAP would have a similar issue using the droid.

I think my next step will have to be calling verizon and asking if they are blocking port 2525. Hell at this point, I'm considering seeing how much it would be to buy an SSL cert just to have a standard port. (I know if it works for gmail it'll work for me.)

Again, if anyone else has any ideas, please throw them out there. I"m willing to try just about anything.

Thanks

kpmedia

Reaction score
Yeah, the server had to have 2525 added because your ISP is stubborn. Cable isn't usually like that -- it's the DSL companies that do it, not sure why. It doesn't do anything to prevent spam anyway, just aggravates us users. Corporate stupidity in action, I guess.

The Gmail thing sounds great, but it shows "gmail" in some apps. In yahoo webmail, I only see my name and my reply address by default.

But in Outlook, I get:
Code:
-----Original Message-----
From: My GMail Name [mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of My IMAP App Name
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 3:13 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: something something gmail

account test smtp
So you can very visibly see the "Gmail" name in the mailto. It does this silly "on behalf of" stuff instead of just silently replacing as desired.

So there's another option that won't work.

That SSL option might be worth a try. Get a free cert to start out: https://www.startssl.com/?app=33
They pester you to re-validate every 30 days.
So you'll need to buy one if you don't want harassment.

I've not bought SSL in years now, but this looks to be just as good as any other place to start for finding out what's out there, and prices: SSL Comparison and Reviews for Finding the Best SSL Certificate

Go get the free one, send me the details via email, and I'll have to try and remember how to install it.

Thought I'd post some generic info here in your post, instead of keeping it all in email. Might help some others this way.