IMAP account is crashing my Email app

bgrubb7

Reaction score
My IMAP account is crashing my Email App. When I open a email or when it is checking with the server for new ones, I get a "The application (process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

If I change my account settings to POP it works fine. The problem is IMAP worked just fine for the first 2 weeks I had the phone and now it just started doing this. I though maybe it was another app that was conflicting, so I uninstalled every app that I had installed since I started having issues, but that hasn't changed anything.

I really don't want to go back to POP, what gives?

OP
B

bgrubb7

Reaction score
Thanks to Skurvy_Pirate over on the Howard forums for this fix:

In the incoming server settings I had to add "~/mail" in the prefix field at the very bottom. Fixed my problem. I definitely did not have to do this before last weekend, but for whatever reasons it is needed now. Your path may be different, but I believe that is the default path for most IMAP accounts.

No more POP3 for me!:icon_ banana:

themans23

Reaction score
ok i am having the same error for both my Yahoo account and my corporate email account... on my yahoo account i did what bgrubb7 said about the "~/mail" in the prefix field but that did not solve the problem. and i do not know what to do about that one or the corporate email account... my Gmail account works just fine though... any suggestions?

themans23

Reaction score
ok i found a solution on another site, it worked for me, hopefully it doesnt keep happening though.

I had the same problem after trying to download an xls file.

I tried stopping SyncManager as well as com.android.email, and no luck.

I think it might have been "stuck" trying to read the file. (Ugh... terrible implementation of email.)

At any rate, I found a workaround.

Go to Home>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications

Click the Menu button and select "Filter"

Select "Running"

Scroll down to the "Email" application. Select "Clear Data"

(This is effectively the same thing as deleting the account and starting over, however when I tried to delete/recreate the account using the UI, it didn't work. After deleting the information through the Application Manager, it appears that my email is working now.)

I reconfigured it without SSL, to only show one day's worth of email, and to scan every 5 minutes.... so that it doesn't saturate the system resources.

Hope this helps.

gstreez

Reaction score
I am having trouble with my Yahoo e-mail, but have two other accounts set up successfully.... if I do this will it clear the settings on my other e-mail accounts?

Seems like it might help, but I don't really want to have to start over with the other accounts.