I'm tired of the bloat. This is NOT Android.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
No. It would not happen today, it would happen after the changes I outlined.

Manufacturers should look to give us the features, carriers maintain service only. Until that's in place it wont matter what the device's cost.

iPirate

Reaction score
The worst part is the people that don't know it is bloat and think it is the norm... then they think Android sucks and tell their friends

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon does then same thing with Blackberry. They are always adding more stuff people don't want.

Verizon is the villain here. They aren't going to stop.

moot

Reaction score
Is it not possible to root these phones and install stock or a custom rom? I'm just wondering because I will have to upgrade in a year or so.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it not possible to root these phones and install stock or a custom rom? I'm just wondering because I will have to upgrade in a year or so.

You can root the phones, There are some custom ROM's available, but just rooting would be enough to allow you to remove the bloatware.

droidman101

Reaction score
Well, yes there's ways to remove the bloat when rooted but some updates check your apps, which just sucks because you remove blockbuster and look, but it won't update without those apps, whether you unrooted it or not :(

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had the droid 1 and it was a great phone.. but it is not comparable to the speed and smoothness of the Droid X..l have installed p3 latest froyo with his tranquilty rom.. (No bloat, other than phone etc,,) and this phone is rocking..the only things i miss about droid 1 are

Sapphire - (they working on that)

Darke edge (dunno if they working on this or not)

meek_reese

Reaction score
Just not going to change until america itself decides that carriers should be responsible ONLY for the network/data service, and we are willing to pay full price for those lovely devices we want so much.

Subsidy devices will always have carrier controlled crap that has to be removed, and it isnt going to stop.

Carriers are $$$ driven conglomerations, and they now see how they can get millions for including an app in the phone everyone wants. Do the math.

I dont see google winning this, they allowed it to happen and cannot get the reins back, or dont know how to do so.

Sad.

You are 100% correct. We (Americans) don't really know how bad we have it when it comes to quality/data for the price we pay. It sucks that Google did try to change things with the Nexus One, but it failed miserably (I'm not saying the phone failed, but google's idea that it could get americans to buy full price phones free of contract/carrier bloat). I really don't know what it will take to get people to realize they are saving money if they buy a device at full price w/o contract.....

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I see another side of this story.

I see a group of people, maybe not that educated in the Android world who see bloatware as something of a convenience, maybe even a benefit. "Oh look, my D2 has Blockbuster already pre loaded on it, and I can download books from Amazon."
or "Oh look, my D2 has Blockbuster already pre loaded on it, and I don't need Amazon. Well I just delete that one. Wait! Whats this?!! I can't delete it?!!"

carriers are literally forcing this on people by not giving them the option to uninstall it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The carriers are ruining Android. I went into VZW today to look at all the new devices and I'm quickly souring on the whole Android experience. The Fascinate, D2 and X are filled with so much bloat that it's disturbing.

I DO NOT want this stuff on my device and it seems that Android more than any other platform is releasing with the worst bloatware. The Fascinate was a mess with so much excess junk.

Is this what Android is becoming? Will the carriers continue to force this on us?

I hope that Google stands up to the carriers and insist on them making the option to easily uninstall the bloat or they will not be allowed to brand the device with Google any where on it.

If I spend my money on a Google device I want to experience the OS/UI the way it was intended. I'm buying an Android device not an advertisement....

I don't know ladies and gentlemen but this is not what Android is supposed to be about. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it : )

Do we really not want blur widgets......really. I think people say that but do not really realize what they want. Let me ask CK, do you have LP and do you use the calendar, facebook, tweetdeck, and other widgets that is just a copy cat of the blur/sense widgets. There are somethings I hate about blur, but somethings about blur is VERY useful. I wish there was an option to turn it on/off. But to say chunk it because it is not the "vanilla" android experience is too much. The "Vanilla" android experience was not selling to the main stream but blur is selling.
Now the useless apps where they force you to pay in order to use, that is ridiculous and users should be allowed to delete them. But hey you can root and use Titanium to freeze the apps and the blur.

REARless

Reaction score
Just not going to change until america itself decides that carriers should be responsible ONLY for the network/data service, and we are willing to pay full price for those lovely devices we want so much.

Subsidy devices will always have carrier controlled crap that has to be removed, and it isnt going to stop.

Carriers are $$$ driven conglomerations, and they now see how they can get millions for including an app in the phone everyone wants. Do the math.

I dont see google winning this, they allowed it to happen and cannot get the reins back, or dont know how to do so.

Sad.

You are absolutely correct on this. The issue is consumers getting a device that costs Verizon $600.00 for $200.00. They have to make up the difference somewhere. And Bloatware is an easy revenue stream.

tallnerd1985

Reaction score

Sad.

You are 100% correct. We (Americans) don't really know how bad we have it when it comes to quality/data for the price we pay. It sucks that Google did try to change things with the Nexus One, but it failed miserably (I'm not saying the phone failed, but google's idea that it could get americans to buy full price phones free of contract/carrier bloat). I really don't know what it will take to get people to realize they are saving money if they buy a device at full price w/o contract.....

How do you figure that a person would save money buying a phone at full retail as opposed to signing a 2-year agreement and getting that $600 phone at $200 price tag?? This logic doesnt make sense to me :)

I know the US is one of the very few countries that do cellular contracts for a discounted handset but its for a good thing, especially with smartphones/pda's. During my travels in the European countries, I was amazed how cheap I could get a feature phone for so little compared to back home but on other hand, if I wanted a smartphone like the TG-01, it was $768.55 in American dollars w/o a contract.

For now, until the networks become open for full LTE launch on all carriers, contracts will still be the way to go for a smartphone(Sorry for featurephone users, you are still screwed in pricing) until open networks create a need for manufactures to sell their phones at a competitive price.

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I do not care about the pre-installed apps like Blockbuster, etc. Well, on the Droid 1, I have limited space. The newer phones have gigs of internal memory, so whats the harm? USE LP or ADW and get rid of the icon if you don't want to see it.

What I don't like is the Touchwiz/Blur/Sense that is forced upon you. Well, not those interface's themselves--but that there is no option to go stock (without rooting).

victorythagr8

Reaction score
The carriers are ruining Android. I went into VZW today to look at all the new devices and I'm quickly souring on the whole Android experience. The Fascinate, D2 and X are filled with so much bloat that it's disturbing.

I DO NOT want this stuff on my device and it seems that Android more than any other platform is releasing with the worst bloatware. The Fascinate was a mess with so much excess junk.

Is this what Android is becoming? Will the carriers continue to force this on us?

I hope that Google stands up to the carriers and insist on them making the option to easily uninstall the bloat or they will not be allowed to brand the device with Google any where on it.

If I spend my money on a Google device I want to experience the OS/UI the way it was intended. I'm buying an Android device not an advertisement....

I don't know ladies and gentlemen but this is not what Android is supposed to be about. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it : )

Do we really not want blur widgets......really. I think people say that but do not really realize what they want. Let me ask CK, do you have LP and do you use the calendar, facebook, tweetdeck, and other widgets that is just a copy cat of the blur/sense widgets. There are somethings I hate about blur, but somethings about blur is VERY useful. I wish there was an option to turn it on/off. But to say chunk it because it is not the "vanilla" android experience is too much. The "Vanilla" android experience was not selling to the main stream but blur is selling.
Now the useless apps where they force you to pay in order to use, that is ridiculous and users should be allowed to delete them. But hey you can root and use Titanium to freeze the apps and the blur.

The "vanila" android experience is not selling but yet the Droid 1 is the best selling android device.

Really the Droid 1 is what jumped off the whole android takeover even though the G1, Hero, Mytouch 3g, Cliq came out first.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This is android, if google did not want carriers and users to make changes it wouldnt be open source. This is whats the open source community is all about. Anyone can make any changes to the source code or looks and release it.

the whole problem is its not what the consumer wants. Its what the carrier wants and thats MONEY and a lot of it. Until someone poneys up more money then what they are getting from amazon, ,microshaft, blockbuster,.... ETC to not put these apps on the phone they will continue.

if i remember correctly microsoft is giving google 500 million dollars to use bing instead of google per year. Amazon is in the range of 250 million per year.