I'm tired of the bloat. This is NOT Android.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The carriers are ruining Android. I went into VZW today to look at all the new devices and I'm quickly souring on the whole Android experience. The Fascinate, D2 and X are filled with so much bloat that it's disturbing.

I DO NOT want this stuff on my device and it seems that Android more than any other platform is releasing with the worst bloatware. The Fascinate was a mess with so much excess junk.

Is this what Android is becoming? Will the carriers continue to force this on us?

I hope that Google stands up to the carriers and insist on them making the option to easily uninstall the bloat or they will not be allowed to brand the device with Google any where on it.

If I spend my money on a Google device I want to experience the OS/UI the way it was intended. I'm buying an Android device not an advertisement....

I don't know ladies and gentlemen but this is not what Android is supposed to be about. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it : )

CrypticDroid

Reaction score
I second your entire post.

I own the D2 and it's snappy but ninjablur drives me nuts

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
They always gravitate to the corporate money (except Pearl Jam). What they need to do is have a stripped down version for people who like to experiment and customize and let the soccer moms who don't care have that other crap.

I'm sure they will kill the root before long.

Redneck Trash

Reaction score
It's amazing what can be fixed with root access.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
im taking my DX early monday morning to moto's corporate office and chucking it thru one of their windows to solve this..

i will keep you guys posted.

Bateluer

Reaction score
im taking my DX early monday morning to moto's corporate office and chucking it thru one of their windows to solve this..

i will keep you guys posted.

You video tape this and Youtube the act and the ensuing results, and I'll PayPal you 50 bucks. dancedroid

In all seriousness though, its pissing me off too. I have a Droid 1 and its been great, but its starting to get old and I want to replace it with a more powerful device. But all the more powerful devices on Verizon come laden with so much junk, that when combined with locked bootloaders, makes my Droid 1 geezer much better. I might be jumping ship to T-Mobile at the end of my contract, as they seem to be the only carrier offering a vanilla Google experience, with open boot loaders and encouragement of an active mod community.

Engagdet has an article up on this same thing too. And the saddest part is, 99% of people buying Android phones will simply go along with it. They'll say, 'Ugh, I hate this, it blows.' and proceed to buy the phone and use it anyway.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
While I see where you guys are coming from (and I would prefer not to have apps pre-installed and unremovable that I'll never use or sign up for) I dont see why you just ignore them or install something like launcherpro and hide the icons. My D2 feels way faster than my D1 rooted and overclocked (simply pointing this out since people might assume all the bloat slows down the phone by a lot). I simply add the apps that I'll ever use to my home screen or scroll app thingy on LP and never have to deal with all the other crap that's there. That's just my opinion on things and I dont expect anyone to change their opinion on this by reading mine, but I just thought I'd point that out.

AzJazz

Reaction score
While I see where you guys are coming from (and I would prefer not to have apps pre-installed and unremovable that I'll never use or sign up for) I dont see why you just ignore them or install something like launcherpro and hide the icons.

While "hiding" the apps does take them out of view, it doesn't take them out of your Droid's memory. The bloat apps will certainly take up storage space that could be used for apps that you'll actually use, and will probably be taking up RAM while some of the bloat apps are running in the background because they are auto-loaded at boot.

I agree with CK that the bloat is starting to get ridiculous.

On a related note: I absolutely hate that I will be getting stuck with Bing as my search engine if I ever buy a Verizon phone again. Pre-install it if you want, Verizon - But don't lock me out if I want to change it.

AzJazz

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have an Iphone and a blackberry I'll sell ya cheap CK!! Yur gonna have to give my your droid 1 tho. :D

Sweet Jaysus I crack me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Bateluer

Reaction score
While "hiding" the apps does take them out of view, it doesn't take them out of your Droid's memory. The bloat apps will certainly take up storage space that could be used for apps that you'll actually use, and will probably be taking up RAM while some of the bloat apps are running in the background because they are auto-loaded at boot.

This.

Purchase a new Dell/Acer/HP/Sony laptop, and watch all the junkware choke up ALL the available RAM and the 15 minute boot time that ensues. Do you want the same situation to occur on your phone?

Verizon came out swinging with the Droid 1, but they've since fallen back into their old habits, they need a good b*tch slapping to wake them up.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I figure for the first Quarter Motorola will have to change their name to Bloatorola :icon_eek:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just not going to change until america itself decides that carriers should be responsible ONLY for the network/data service, and we are willing to pay full price for those lovely devices we want so much.

Subsidy devices will always have carrier controlled crap that has to be removed, and it isnt going to stop.

Carriers are $$$ driven conglomerations, and they now see how they can get millions for including an app in the phone everyone wants. Do the math.

I dont see google winning this, they allowed it to happen and cannot get the reins back, or dont know how to do so.

Sad.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The carriers are ruining Android. I went into VZW today to look at all the new devices and I'm quickly souring on the whole Android experience. The Fascinate, D2 and X are filled with so much bloat that it's disturbing.

I DO NOT want this stuff on my device and it seems that Android more than any other platform is releasing with the worst bloatware. The Fascinate was a mess with so much excess junk.

Is this what Android is becoming? Will the carriers continue to force this on us?

I hope that Google stands up to the carriers and insist on them making the option to easily uninstall the bloat or they will not be allowed to brand the device with Google any where on it.

If I spend my money on a Google device I want to experience the OS/UI the way it was intended. I'm buying an Android device not an advertisement....

I don't know ladies and gentlemen but this is not what Android is supposed to be about. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it : )
Funny thing is I was at the VZW kiosk at the local BJ's store (like Costco), and thought the same thing on Friday night.

Bateluer

Reaction score
Subsidy devices will always have carrier controlled crap that has to be removed, and it isnt going to stop.

So, you're saying that if I buy the phone at full retail price, I can demand Big Red remove all the bloatware? Somehow, I don't think they're going to do it. :icon_evil:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see another side of this story.

I see a group of people, maybe not that educated in the Android world who see bloatware as something of a convenience, maybe even a benefit. "Oh look, my D2 has Blockbuster already pre loaded on it, and I can download books from Amazon."