I'm tired of my Droid X restarting randomly.

ryguy5254

Reaction score
I don't know if this is an isolated incident or not, but it seems like at least once a day, my phone restarts by itself.

I'll know because either I'll see it while its happening, or I'll hear "Verizon Wireless" when it picks up the service again.

And its frustrating because I know at least once, it restarted right before my alarm was to wake me up to go back to work, and I almost didn't wake up but I heard the "Verizon Wireless" voice.

Anybody else's droid x do the same?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I would possibly consider a factory reset to see if assists with the randome restarts.

As for the VZW voice - that is the network lost tone or roaming tone...you can uncheck these in the phone settings - sound...

Good luck..if the problem persists and it troublesome to you, contact VZW support for a possible replacement phone.

ibrawl

Reaction score
my droid x also does this and it also loses 3g signal like 5 times a day and random freezing.

TheFLaSH

Reaction score
I noticed my Droid X doing the same thing. I have been watching my battery and notice it had to have restarted. I then saw it restart just sitting on the arm on my chair. That was twice in just a few hours.
I did a reset and have been 32 hours with no indecent. I will start adding programs one by one and keep an eye on it. Not sure if there was a program causing the program or not, time will tell. Had my phone since launch and this is the first sign of any problem.

adamspooner

Reaction score
X resetting

This is a software issue. Most likely, from an app you downloaded. TheFlash and Smalltowngirl13 have the right idea. Factory reset, and slowly add your apps. These are computers, with a ton of third party software, restarts and freezes should be more common than they are.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a software issue. Most likely, from an app you downloaded. TheFlash and Smalltowngirl13 have the right idea. Factory reset, and slowly add your apps. These are computers, with a ton of third party software, restarts and freezes should be more common than they are.

I agree with the first part of your statement, I disagree with the second part. Droid is not a computer, and it isn't suppose to restart like this.

Factory Data Reset like the others suggested should fix it.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think freezes and restarts are a part of the everyday mobile experience either...the only time I have experienced this kind of activity from my droid is when I made software modifications that caused errors in the system i.e. kernel change or a ROM that was uncompatable with my device

If this is truly random and a reset does'nt fix it (and it is stock) I would take it to VZW

techguru

Reaction score
My Incredible was doing this and the Froyo update seems to have fixed it. However, a lot of people were complaining of this, and relatively few talk about it with the X (never has happened on my X, although it has other issues with being able to hold onto a 3G signal). I would see about getting a replacement from Verizon (but they may have you do a factory reset and run as stock for a few days, so I would back up all your apps either with Appbrain or Astro first).

Alan

F

fabricred

i had the same problem with mine after a month. i got mine to work like new again after i did a few things.
i haven't rooted my phone or installed any custom roms its plain Jain. the facebook app was part of the problem its updated several times while the x has been out and i noticed in the settings for the phone accounts it had made 2 facebook accounts within it. so i uninstall-ed it rebooted my phone and installed it back. it helped speed my phone a little bit, but the random restarts still happened. i did some research to see if any apps i had installed were casing this but with no luck. i finally came across this article in the droid forums that talked about task killers and how you dont need them so like the article said i removed the taskkiller the one i was using was the "advanced task killer form rechild" rebooted my phone and let it do its thing and so far so good i havent had a random restart yet and its been about a week and a half since

the link to the article about task killers is here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

hope this helps, good luck

Sectime

Reaction score

I agree with the first part of your statement, I disagree with the second part. Droid is not a computer, and it isn't suppose to restart like this.

Factory Data Reset like the others suggested should fix it.
Hmm has a processor, operating system, keyboard, screen, internal and removable memory, I/O port. Now what would you call such a device??

droid234

Reaction score
Note: This is one way to issue a wipe/factory reset if your DX locks up or continuously restarts itself.

How to issue a wipe/factory reset by using button sequences:
1) Power down normally.
2) Press and hold both power and home buttons, until the green android shows up on screen.
3) Press search button to bring up the menu.
4) Using up/down volume button, select 'wipe/factory reset' option, then press camera button.
5) Using up/down volume button, select 'yes', then press camera button.
6) The wipe process will commence. Once completed, select 'reboot now' option by pressing camera button.

countryboy498

Reaction score
For what its worth... I had the same issue with my FIRST DX. Verizon told me to do a factory reset, so I did that. When I went to activate my phone it got stuck on the activation screen and would never go past that. After waiting for my replacement DX (because of course there are none available) I now have my replacement which has come with its own set of issues, but hey the random resets are over.... I just can't connect to wifi now... I'm not happy with this phone at all!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
For what its worth... I had the same issue with my FIRST DX. Verizon told me to do a factory reset, so I did that. When I went to activate my phone it got stuck on the activation screen and would never go past that. After waiting for my replacement DX (because of course there are none available) I now have my replacement which has come with its own set of issues, but hey the random resets are over.... I just can't connect to wifi now... I'm not happy with this phone at all!

Have ya contacted VZW for another replacement or troubleshoot? I wouldn't be happy either - one phone with issues is one to many but the 2nd one too...

Hang in there and good luck...

TheFLaSH

Reaction score
Just an update:
I have swapped my battery 3 times with around 110 hrs. with no restarting since I did a factory reset. This is only the second time I have reset my phone. Email issue the first time and restarting the second.
I would think if this was a hardware problem I would of had something happen in that amount of time.
There are only a few programs I have not added since I reset, Quick Settings, Pandora, DropBox, PDAnet, update to Maps and a few games.