I'm Sure This is an Android 2.1 Update 1 Bug-Phone Memory Getting Low

mysteryms

Reaction score
Sorry, did search on forums; can't find adequate solution. Have latest Verizon update (stock) & for past week keep getting this message. Before clearing all caches phone memory about 25MB. Don't have a lot of running services. Just cleared cache yesterday & dumped all text messages. Today happened again. Internet & forum search tells me it's across all droid models. This can't be a mere memory or running application issue (I don't have many running applications). What's up? I cleared caches again (even going into each application's ssetting & checking individual caches, which were all 0. Then phone restarted itself. This version of system sucks.

OP
M

mysteryms

Reaction score
Further Info Re Phone Low on Memory

BTW have cleared all caches AND restarted. This seems 2 fix (as well as dumping all text msgs), BUT it keeps happening with low cache/no cache info. & like 6 txt messages total. Don't know if I stated but phone memory is about 25MB. Most system usage is for standby and then OS use (but OS using only small amount compared 2 standby use)...

Not related 2 thread, but what's with the disappearing cursor sometimes?!

twilliamson

Reaction score
Same issue with Android 2.2

As of last week after I downloaded Angry Birds, I'm starting to get the constant "Low on space" message on my Incredible. What I don't get is that when I look at my available memory, there seems to be PLENTY of space.

My storage currently looks like this:

SD card - Total space 7.4 GB - Available space - 5.22 GB
Internal phone storage - Total space 6.46 GB - Available space - 6.26 GB
Phone Memory - Total space 748MB - Available space - 671MB

I've tried moving stuff from my SD card to internal memory and vice versa. I've gotten rid of the Angry Birds installation pkg. I've cleared the cache on so many different programs (and I'm sick and tired of having to set them up again afterwords!) Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't, but it always seems to be a temporary fix because the message continues to come back. I've cleaned out attachments from emails. I've done everything I can think of from every forum I can find on the matter, but nothing is working.

I've only had the phone since Sept and have installed only around 20 apps. Of those 20, I would say that I use 4 -5 of them on a regular basis. Touchdown seems to be my biggest memory hog of all. If I had 100s of apps, I wouldn't be writing at all, but this seems to be a small number to me and certainly a number that any Droid should be able to support.

I got the "Low on Space" error once before I downloaded Angry Birds, but now it's a consistent thing. I loaded the app on my SD card to save room on the internal memory, but that doesn't seem to have done the trick.

In another forum, I saw a discussion on a possible hack to fix the issue. I can certainly go that route if needed, but I shouldn't have to hack my phone for it to work properly. That's an insane expectation from the Droid folks if that would be their solution.

Is there any way to change the setting of how much space is allocated to running programs on the phone? That seems like it would be an easy solution to bump that up.

Thanks for your help!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Unfortunately if you're not rooted I believe the only way to free up all that system space (system cache, not data cache which is all the stock recovery will clear for "cache") is a factory reset. You don't want to do that if you can help it, but it might be required. OTA system updates are a bit... sloppy.