I'm stumped. Browser won't stay open when finding my location?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok this one has got me good. Every time I open my browser to the default Google home page, it starts to find my location, the little satellite icon pops up in the notification bar, then the browser shuts down. It doesn't even FC, it just flat out closes. It's definitely the satellite thing because when I open up a shortcut or another site before it has a chance to do that, it works fine. Other "satellite" apps (weatherbug elite, etc) work fine.

I am rooted, but have been forever and never had this issue, so I don't believe being rooted is part of the problem. Not running any roms, not oc'd, just rooted.

When I go into "manage apps" under settings and clear the data, it works once, then not again.

I'm hoping there's something simple I'm missing before I take the time to either 1) uninstall a bunch of apps and do them one at a time to see if there's a conflict there, 2) before I pull the browser .apk from one of the root "roms", or finally 3) wipe/reflash.

Anybody have any ideas?

About to leave for work, will check back in a few... TIA!

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have had this issue inthe past...reflash your kernel....EDIT: nevermind I missed the part where you said you weren't OC'd..sorry no idea..except maybe you can flash a low voltage kernel and run it at stock speed, so that you don't OC, and gain battery life. Should fix the issue.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had this issue inthe past...reflash your kernel....EDIT: nevermind I missed the part where you said you weren't OC'd..sorry no idea..except maybe you can flash a low voltage kernel and run it at stock speed, so that you don't OC, and gain battery life. Should fix the issue.

I lied, and you fixed it. In the chaos of yesterday evening with our kids I had forgotten (don't ask me how, I'll blame the kids ;)) that I actually did reboot and apply a p3 kernel via update.zip. If you wonder how that could happen, it took me about an hour total to do it... I'd grab the phone and do one tiny thing, then have to put it up for a bit... etc. By the time the evening returned to normalcy, that process had completely left my mind. Anyway, reflashing it worked. Thanks for the tip, never seen that before.

Just when I think I'm smart, I do something like that... :icon_eek:

edit: since that was the problem, sorry I posted in the non-rooted RS section!

Last edited: