I'm stuck on the Moto screen after attempted overclock...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Hexeir, May 25, 2010.

1. Hexeir

Hexeir New Member

Alright, I rooted my Moto Droid, and was running a Cyanogen ROM. I had moved a flash image to my bin folder and was attempting to flash it with the 1ghz file with ADB. I am using ClockworksMod recovery. When I rebooted, I'm stuck on the big M. I'm worried, any help would be huge.

What makes this different from other threads:

- I've done an extended battery pull.
    - I've cleared all data and cache and attempted to restore, however I had no backup.
    - I can't reboot from update.zip
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Flash a different kernel...try 800 mhz,
  3. Hexeir

Hexeir New Member

I was going to apparently edit the 1ghz to 800? 800 was what I was aiming for in the first place. The directions told me to flash that one first. I'm not very knowledgeable on the topic, I just have a good understanding of computers and that is the only reason I even took this on. I'll try and find the 800mhz one. At this point, I'm quite honestly not sure of what I'm doing.
  4. titans

When you find the download for the 800 mhz kernel, download it, then install it through recovery. The kernel should be found in the Droid section of forum.cyanogenmod.com
  5. Hexeir

Hexeir New Member

I'm having a hard time finding the Kernel source. If anyone could help me find that, I'd be thankful.

Also, when I do acquire it, how exactly can you install it from recovery? Would I do it through the install zip function? I'm clueless here. :confused::blush:
  6. titans

Bekit Kernel Discussion (0.8) - CyanogenMod Forum This thread was in the Motorola Droid section. Download links are at the bottom. Once you download it, name it to update.zip, place it on your SD card, boot into recovery, select install Update.zip.
  7. Hexeir

Hexeir New Member

You're my hero. Thank you so much. It worked perfectly. Would you mind briefly explaining what exactly I just did? What exactly happens when you install update.zip? Is a kernel the only thing that you can install that way? Because it seems like I've seen that technique a few times.

Seriously, you saved my life. Thanks a million. Glad to be a new member of this forum.
  8. titans

No problem, glad to help =). Basically, that update.zip that you installed was a differently programmed/written kernel. Think of it kinda like installing a new program from a CD that you put in your computer..sorta. You can install other things through the update.zip way, such as ROMs and themes.

By the way, 5.0.7 of CM was just released. Download the free version of ROM manager from the market, and you will be able to download/install it from there, all from your phone (it will do everything for you). Make sure to not apply any themes to 5.0.7 unless they state that it has been ported/works with 5.0.7.
  9. Hexeir

Hexeir New Member

I'll get on that, also! Thanks for the update. Now that my phone has rebooted, I still have the SUNinja, but I haven't given permission. And it's not asking. So my SetCPU isn't working.

Also, What theme do you use for CM?
  10. titans

Hm, that's odd...after you update to 5.0.7 and install a new kernel made to work with it (on the Rom manager home screen, menu soft key, enable advanced/developer mode, not sure what it's called, if you don't enable that, you can't dl new kernels) So:

Download 5.0.7, check off Google Apps, when it's done and when it prompts you, click on backup rom, and wipe data/cache (normally not needed but will ensure a clean install)

Once you boot up 5.0.7, download a kernel through ROM manager (I recommend Bekit kernels) Check off backup, no need to wipe.

As for my theme, well I'm running BB right now because I had t o just put on a very easy to install and stable rom for an important day, and have been to lazy to put CM back on. But, I normally use drotheme, found in the swdroid.com forums. However, I doubt it's been ported to 5.0.7 yet..don't use it if it hasn't. I modded my framework so that I have the Sense UI Battery Icon and 3g icons (those were a pain to remove the discolored borders from), and a droid guy peeping out from the bottom right corner in my notification pulldown.
  11. Hexeir

Hexeir New Member

see, then, you really know what you're doing. I wish I knew how to do that kinda thing. Maybe i'll learn? o_O My next goal (after getting everything running right again) will be a custom load graphic.

Right now I'm having an issue - I have ROM manager, and it is telling me I need to flash ClockworkMod Recovery, however I can't. I get a message saying "An error occured flashing your recovery."
  12. titans

It's pretty easy to pick up onto actually, 3 months ago I had no experience whatsoever in editing framework/themes and right now I'm half decent. If you want my framework with the stuff I said let me know, I'll upload it.

The error is a known issue. Keep trying, you'll get through
  13. Hexeir

Hexeir New Member

That gives me hope - I'm a quick learner, and like I said I do have a pretty good understanding (and long history) with computers.

I think my issue was that I need an update. But now it's saying an error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands. It said that to me before and I went to DMUpdater and then it asked me for permissions and after that all was good. But now it's not asking. o_O

About your framework, what exactly do you mean by the ui battery and 3g thingy? The little droid guy sounds cool though.
  14. titans

So you were able to flash the new recovery?

The 3g and battery icons from Sense UI, in this picture of the Droid Eris for example http://openforumradio.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/droid-eris.jpg

As for the Droid guy, I got it from Exnight, and just changed the colors to my liking http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/43475-working-customizing-nextheme-bb1-0-a.html I have the download link to the notification background .png as shown in the picture if you want.
  15. Hexeir

Hexeir New Member

I would definitely love to have the droid guy.

I was not able to flash the recovery. It doesn't have SU permissions, and I don't know how to give them. :\
  16. titans

Hmm....what ROM are you running now?
  17. Hexeir

Hexeir New Member

I'm running Cyanogen 5.0.6.2.

And I already have clockwork because i had rom manager before, but never used it for anything but to download cyanogen. But it won't let me act like i have clockwork. I think my answer might be here: Fix Permissions Will Not Work. - CyanogenMod Forum
    but i don't completely understand it.
  18. titans

Go ahead and redownload Cyanogen 5.0.6.2 and install it as an update.zip, or just select choose zip from sd card if you don't want to rename it (this goes for all update.zip format things). No need for google apps since you are upgrading to 5.0.7, I'm trying to get you on a clean install of 5.0.6.2. Wipe data/cache twice each....just download it from the CM forums.
  19. Hexeir

Hexeir New Member

I am still learning how to surf forums, so it might take me a minute to find the place where 5.0.6.2 is being hosted. Man I suck.

However, I am reading much about the new versions (including the one I have) and it seems like they may be building these for less capable devices. Maybe I am just misunderstanding? They are pulling out a lot of things like the 3d gallery, which i really like. Maybe I am confused.

But yeah, still looking for the source.
  20. titans

CyanogenMod Forum -> Motorola Droid

Click on download stable mod at the top. Everything Cyanogen mod related will be somewhere on the cyanogenmod forums. Last time I used CM which was 5.0.6.2 it still had 3d gallery, and I read the 5.0.7 changelog earlier, I'm pretty sure they aren't taking out the 3d gallery.