I'm so scared to root

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by zobothehobo, Jul 24, 2011.

1. droided1

droided1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im telling you like it is. Your scared about ruining your phone or not wanting to come out of pocket with extra money to pay for tethering. Obviously you must know that tethering without going through Verizon violates its terms of service and could end up costing you a lot more money in the end anyways, especially when you get hit with that final cancellation bill, but you don't seem worried about that. Food for thought...

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

2. zobothehobo

zobothehobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I am a kinda scared about that. I just haven't gotten to the point in this process where being scared about that is something that needs to happen. I'm going to tackle rooting, then worry about tethering. I'm actually considering asking my father (who's a lot more tech savvy than me) do it all for me tomorrow.

3. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Its not a zip file, its an apk file, which is an app. Make sure its on your SD Card and find the file and select it, it will ask you to install it.

Make sure you have allow unknown apps checked in settings>applications. Its the first option in that screen.

I just downloaded the file I linked you to to test it and it worked for me.

SSX v2.0

4. zobothehobo

zobothehobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had that checked, and when I clicked open it said it couldn't open it because it was a zip file... Then I did it again and the same thing happened...

I just tried again and it said I can't download files without an SD card... but I have an SD card... I sent my father an email asking him to do it for me tomorrow. Hopefully, he'll want to do it. This is the start of exactly what I had feared would happen. Nothing happens to me the way others say it's supposed to.

5. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Go to settings>storage and see if your SD card is mounted. If not, click mount.

If that doesn't work, reboot your phone and see if that works.

SSX v2.0

6. zobothehobo

zobothehobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had to change my usb connection setting to get it to work. Anyway, I found out the problem with the zip file was my browser... I was using opera and it doesn't work with opera apparently... so I used the default browser and downloaded and installed the app. I pressed "root" and now for the past little bit it's been "running exploit in order to obtain root access..." That's right, right?

7. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Yes. If it takes more than a minute or 2 to say "acquiring root shell", then press the back button and get out of the app. Then try it again. I have had to do it up to 3 times to get it to work.

The whole process should take about a minute or 2 when it works correctly.

SSX v2.0

8. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Ok, an EASY way to root to go to your market and download 4shared. Open up 4 shared, and download z4root.apk. then go into the app and click Permanent root. That easy. It's already been converted from the zip so need to worry about any converting. I did it to my brothers that way in like 2minutes.

Edit - nvm, think u got it ow that I read other posts. :)

Edit - nvm, you didn't. Use this method.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

#20 BenLand150, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  9. scoder

scoder Member

Ratings:
    +1
    EDIT: Ah, nvm.

Zobo, are you downloading the app directly from your phone? If so, which browser are you using? I have found that sometimes, Android will rename APK files to ZIP files on its own if I do not have Astro File Manager installed (it's free from the market and a great little tool to keep on your phone). Try downloading Astro and redownloading Z4root. If it still saves as a ZIP file, open up Astro, find the Z4root file in your Download folder, and rename the ZIP file to an APK.

For example, Open Astro and navigate to your Download folder. Tap and hold on "z4root.zip", choose Edit, and then Rename. Delete "zip" and type "apk". Press ok and then tap on "z4root.apk" (while still inside of Astro." Choose "Open App Manager" at the prompt, and click Install. After it is installed, choose "Open" and hit Root Phone. Wait up to 5 minutes, and then your phone will reboot. When it's done rebooting, open your app drawer and check for a new app called Superuser. If it's there, you are now rooted. If it's not, run Z4root again and try it again (sometimes I've had to run it twice for it to work). Z4root is pretty foolproof and carries very little risk of breaking your phone, as does any method of rooting.

I recommend you doing the work instead of your father, though. This stuff is simple enough and worth learning it for yourself, and there are always people here to help you. Also, all of these instructions are from memory, so I may have reworded some options but you should be able to infer what I meant. Any problems, ask away.

#21 scoder, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  10. zobothehobo

zobothehobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The second time I tried it, my phone froze... like legit froze. I had to take the battery out and reboot it like that. -It was stuck on the moto m for so long, I think I'm not ready for this. I want to do it and everything, but I'm so not confident in myself. I'm going to see if my dad wants to help and if he doesn't, I'll just use my phone for the internet. I don't think I can do this...

11. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry to hear. That really is the easiest way. It sounds like you shouldn't root though if you are that worried. Just use Easytether Lite or use your phone.

SSX v2.0

12. scoder

scoder Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Zobo, relax lol. The rooting process of Z4root runs no risk of bricking your phone. That's normal for it not to work the first or second time. Go ahead and try it again, it will not break your phone.

Search tags for this page
afraid of rooting
can rooting your android mess it up

can rooting your phone mess it up

does rooting your phone mess it up
if i root android can it mess up
scared of rooting android
scared of rooting phone
scared to root phone
will rooting my phone mess it up
will rooting your phone mess it up