I'm so scared to root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by zobothehobo, Jul 24, 2011.

1. zobothehobo

zobothehobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I know this is probably stupid and that countless people have done it before me and been successful. The problem is, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I've seen a lot of people say if you're scared, don't do it because you should have a reason. But I do have a reason. I want to tether my computer because I'm going on vacation and will not have wireless. If worse comes to worse, I can rely completely on my phone for my internet needs, but I think my fingers would get darn tired of typing on that little keyboard (I have a Motorola Droid 2, running system version 2.4.330 BTW). I've got a bunch of tutorials and how to's open on my computer, but they were all written in November of last year. I'm terrified something might be different. It would not be surprising that someone else was able to do something technologically cool and I would just mess up worse than you can imagine. If I broke, or bricked, or whatever my phone, I'd be SO mad at myself. I paid for this phone and have no other phone and no money to pay for a new one. If someone could tell me they know of a method that works that's pretty much like "you cannot screw this up," they'd be my hero. Also, if anyone on here could maybe hold my hand through the process, that'd be amazing. I'm just SO scared. I know it's so like me to mess up so bad and have everyone be like "AHH You didn't do this!" and me be like "what?" and it be like the smallest little thing.

2. droided1

droided1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ... get a tethering plan and be worry free.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

3. zobothehobo

zobothehobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But that requires money I don't have.

4. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    #4 brad92, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  5. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Ok, download z4root from the market (its free). That will do all the rooting for you. Seriously! Then download Wi-Fi tether from their site (since its not in the market no more) and if you can tether, you have root :)

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

6. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Or, you can download Easytether from the market. It doesn't require root, but uses a USB connection

SSX v2.0

7. zobothehobo

zobothehobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    bear with me, but when I looked up easytether in my market, it says I have to pay. I mean, in the light version it says you have to pay every time you open it. I'd rather do a no root method if it was free... Just because I'm so terrified.

8. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Easytether Lite is free, but it blocks HTTPS sites (secure sites such as banks and stuff)

Root is very easy. Just use the link to Z4 root I gave you. It takes 2 minutes. Very simple and if you don't like root, you can press unroot.

SSX v2.0

9. droided1

droided1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good grief. The fun in all of this is learning and trying new things. Most of the time if you screw up there's an easy fix. You've been given options, of which rooting is the easiest. Non root method, take the charge and tether with Verizon.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

10. zobothehobo

zobothehobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen many people with this opinion and I can't help but get offended at your tone. The fun in all of this for me is NOT screwing up. Honestly, if I had it my way, I'd never have to do this because my grandmother would have wifi I could use. I don't want to mess up and then learn how to fix it. I want it to just work. I came on this website asking for help. If you don't want to answer my question nicely and help me, then don't. But please don't be rude to me because I'm scared and/or nervous about messing up. I am not into learning how things like my phone work, I'm into using them. Excuse me.

11. zobothehobo

zobothehobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. Thank you for being so kind to me. So I downloaded the Z4 root file you gave me, but my phone can't open it 'cause it's a .zip file. I found out on my own that I can go to the files and unzip (or at least there's an option for it)... but I had to unplug my phone from my computer to do so. I know I sound like a total loser, and honestly, I am. I'm so technologically dumb, it's really crazy. Could you tell me exactly what to do? I'm so sorry, I just really want to do this right.

12. Byakushiki

Byakushiki Member

Ratings:
    +3
Search tags for this page
afraid of rooting
can rooting your android mess it up

can rooting your phone mess it up

does rooting your phone mess it up
if i root android can it mess up
scared of rooting android
scared of rooting phone