I'm so lost.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by J5311, Feb 1, 2010.

1. J5311

J5311 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, well i got the droid a week before it came out and been on this site about the time it came out. I saw AdamZ's smoked glass theme http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/17714-themed-rom-smoked-glass-w-white-clock.html
    and i want it. The only huge ass problem is... I have no idea what to do. I am reading the instructions and what i need to download and when I try to unzip files I cannot. are the zipped files supposed to go right onto the droid? Also I know it must seem like a dumb question but in order to do all of this it needs to be rooted. even before nandroid goes in and everything....i will appreciate all help and direction.

Thank you,
    Jared

2. Nick177th

Nick177th Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you get someone to help you, if I were you, i'd leave it alone. Everyone says if you're not absolutely sure you know what you'e doing when rooting, don't mess with it. Just my two cents.

3. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +933
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    I'm moving your thread into the hacks section J5311. There are great devs/members in this section that may assist you.

I'm going to have to agree with Nick. Move forward ONLY when you feel confident you know what you are getting yourself into and fully understand what you are doing. Poking around in the dark so to speak is not something you should be doing.

Know also that rooting your device will void the warranty.

I'm not saying not to do it but again just know what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck.

4. hydrogenman

hydrogenman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  5. bitter

bitter Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS Active Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    ok ive rooted but i went back to stock 2.0.1 will Verizon know that ive rooted and will they replace phone he screen cracks or something its ok if you dont know but just wondering

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    One of the best places to start:
    Guides - Root Your Droid

They do a very good job of explaining all the various steps and ideas (i.e. blocking OTA ect.). Also the guides are VERY well done for beginners (copy and paste the commands).

8. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Rooting is amazingly easy. Most of the stuff is easy to load up. The developers made things pretty user friendly for us non-geniuses. You'll probably want to root, get roothelperpro, install all plug-ins from that and it should be simple from there. Took me about 10 minutes of real work to go from non-rooted to running 2.1