Im so confused with all this, please explain..

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by droiddoesitright, Jul 22, 2010.

1. droiddoesitright

droiddoesitright New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, short story, im rooted to 2.2 BBv.04. Im loving it, but the more I read on here the more confused i become.
    I recently tried installing p3 kernals, which failed, got stuck on the M. Took card out deleted the kernal powered back on, fixed.
    Next I tried to get to bootloader and again got stuck on M. Took battery out restarted, fixed.
    What is the deal between Clockwork mod, and sprecovery. Ive read you can't boot in recovery while having clockwork. So basically what ive learned is that while running clockwork you can not boot the phone into recovery while holding the power button and x. SO what happens if for some reason you get stuck at the M and you can't hold power and x to get into recovery. Sorry for sounded like and idiot but ive been reading post on here for days and im still confused.:wacko:

2. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    If you have ClockWorkMod flashed as your recovery but you cannot boot into it for whatever reasons.... then you just flash back to SPRecovery using RSDLite, then boot into that and flash one of the ROMs on your SDCard by renaming it to update.zip....

3. droiddoesitright

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks bud. When you say boot into clockwork, the only way to do that is for your phone to get past the M correct?

2nd thing is kernals. I downloaded a kernal, put it into the root of my sd card, went to RM and told it to install from sd. And thats when i ended up at the M. Did i miss something?

4. microsnook

microsnook Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It should load the M and then it will boot into recovery (clockwork or spr) EITHER can be used w/ power and x button

(if youre using rom manager, then flash clock, flash spr, then flash clockwork again)

The kernel might not be specific to your rom. Make sure if youre on froyo, you use a froyo specifi kernel, etc.

Hope this helps you out

5. Mbk

Ratings:
    +4
    If you wiped data before installing that kernel, that'd be what happens..... or you picked too low volyage or too high of clock speed...

6. USCChem

USCChem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's the weirdest thing, but Froyo ROMs have a tendency to break your bootloader.

Normally, yes, holding Power+X should boot to recovery, regardless of ClockworkMod or SPRecovery. However, sometimes when you flash a Froyo ROM (like BB0.4) it somehow breaks your recovery and you'll get stuck on the M if you try to boot into it. (Or install a ROM or kernel from ROM Manager. Anything involving the recovery mode will stick you at the M.)

The fix is to go into ROM Manager and flash either SPRecovery or an experimental Clockworkmod recovery, then flash the normal Clockworkmod again. You should then be able to boot into Recovery once again.

7. Mbk

Ratings:
    +4
    ClockWorkMod had that issues with a few versions when updating thru RM, but I'm pretty certain it has been resolved..... nothing to do with Froyo ROMs as a whole. BB v0.4 certainly didn't have any issues for me, nor did any other ROMs, with the exception of UD 3.5.

8. droiddoesitright

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so im tryin to download a kernal and the computer keeps telling me update.zip already exist do i want to replace? Do i want to replace or what? (its trying to replace me originally update.zip i installed when i rooted)