I'm Ruined!!!

braydonzdaddy

Reaction score
I have no idea what to do. A friend of mine at college told me he could make my droid r2d2 run alot faster by putting a custom rom on my phone. So i agreed, assuming he knew what he was doing because he was running velocity 1.1 on his lg ally. now my phone will sit at the "google" picture when turning on and do nothing more... if i try to boot into recovery it sits at the android and "!" logo and does nothing more.... I just got this phone and i'm not very experienced.. I've looked around but everyone keeps saying to boot into recovery and do stuff... but i cannot...... can SOMEONE help me!!!!! I cannot believe i just ruined my phone.....

OP
B

braydonzdaddy

Reaction score
ok that lets me get into recovery. i chose to wipe data. after it finishes do i wipe cache partition then reboot?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes. That should fix your problem.

If you can get into recovery and wipe data and all that, then chances are, your phone is alright and you don't have to sbf.

From now on, never let your buddy touch your phone. Ever! Haha

LGX v2.4

OP
B

braydonzdaddy

Reaction score
ok i did it and when it reboots it still goes to the google logo and stays there... i'm gonna have to do this sbf thing... i downloaded the motohelper 2.0.49 and rsd lite 4.9, along with vrz a955 2.3.20. extracted that to my desktop and installed motohelper and rsd lite

OP
B

braydonzdaddy

Reaction score
no clue what to do now though lol when i plug the phone into the computer it does not do anything so i have no clue how this works

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
To use rsd lite you have to be in the bootloader. Power on and the up button on the dpad.
Do that then plug in the phone....then open rsdlite. Pick the sbf and straight forward from there.
end of line...

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, good. Sounds like you are ready to sbf. Make sure you put your phone in bootloader mode by holding power and the up button on the keyboard with your phone turned off. It will say bootloader and ready to program.

Connect it to your PC, select the sbf file, then hit the ... button. Do not unplug it for any reason. It will take about 5 mins then it will reboot your phone. RSD Lite will probably say to reboot your phone manually. At that point, pull the battery out, then boot into recovery and wipe your data and cache. Then reboot.

You will have to reactivate your phone. Press 1 when it makes the activation call.

LGX v2.4

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
SBF and put restraining order on your buddy. If you want to speed up your phone just research on forums just like this and ask a lot of questions....most of us here are more than willing to walk you through just about everything (in case you didn't already notice) and others already have walk through's posted or linked in their sig's.

OP
B

braydonzdaddy

Reaction score
ok it is doing its thing. this will make my phone no longer rooted and all that. pretty much just like it came out of the box?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes. It will make it like it was out of the box. Only thing is, you will lose your R2D2 boot logo and animation and have the Droid 2 one. You can always root, find the animation and logo and install it manually.

Z4 Root will work on your phone and its fast and easy.

LGX v2.4

OP
B

braydonzdaddy

Reaction score
yeah i did that myself the other day when i got the phone. i looked into this custom ROM thing a few times but never looked too deep into it. What is the benefit of a custom ROM? With root i can remove the stock apps i dont want, and tether and all that.... so whats a custom ROM give me that just simply rooting does not?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
A custom ROM is great because you typically have better performance, more customization, and more. They are generally debloated already also. I have had more issues on the stock ROM than I have on the custom ones.

You can also install Gingerbread on your phone via the Monster zip. Or, since you will be on Froyo, I recommend checking out Cyanogenmod 7 for Droid 2. Its the fastest thing out there.

LGX v2.4

OP
B

braydonzdaddy

Reaction score
ok thank you! my phone is working again!!!! you guys are amazing! but brad92, would you possibly be interested in inboxing me a step by step guide on how to install Cyanogenmod 7 for droid 2, along with the download link? my laptop is about to die so i am about to be on the forums via my phone thanks to you guys. =D

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
No problem man. Glad its working for you now. Give me a few minutes to get some links together and I'll send em to you.

LGX v2.4