I'm rooted on 2.0.1; what will happen to my phone when 2.1 is released?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by r314bd, Mar 5, 2010.

1. r314bd

r314bd New Member

I've done most of the standard hacks...root/busybox/SPrecovery/WiFi Tether...what will happen to my phone when I update to the official 2.1 release, whenever it is?

I'm guessing most of the root-requiring apps will be disabled, i.e. WiFi Tether. Will the icons still show up? Will apps that I installed in the system folder still work? i.e. Mobile Defense
  2. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I asked this same question HERE so there's the answers I got. I'm guessing if you followed the tutorials, you should be ok.
  3. r314bd

r314bd New Member

Hmm...those answers weren't really what I'm looking for. I know you can disable OTA updates, but I actually want 2.1.
  4. r314bd

r314bd New Member

bump
    \\\\\\
  5. pthance

pthance New Member

When the OTA is pushed to your phone it will reside on your SD Card. This part of the push is not blocked. When you want to install the update you need to boot into SPRecovery and choose the option "allow update.zip installation" and then you will be able to have the update hit your phone.
  6. listenman20

listenman20 Member

and then you can go back and install all your goodies back on it and root it again....root is available on the new roms....unless they decide to send out something other than what's been released
  7. gotta have that funk

gotta have that funk New Member

if you have sprecovery 2b or 3b i think, then OTA updates are disabled...you have to have the update on you sdcard, push allow and then install it to get an update...it wont update your phone until you want to.