I'm really P.O.'d right now

dThurman

Reaction score
New Droid 2 phone, about a month old. Tech help at the local Verizon store is like talking to a concrete wall. I cannot get this phone and my laptop, nor my desktop to recognize each other. I've downloaded the Motorola Droid 2 driver 4.5.6 multiple times, cleaning it out after each trial. I've bought a new USB/micro USB cord recommended by the Verizon techs, and a new 4GB micro-SD card as recommended by them also. These are no the problem. When I connect the two, there is nothing, zilch, nothing at all between the two. No bells, no whistles, no gongs, did I mention NOTHING. Please advise, I'd like to be able to download pics without having to remove the micro-SD card to do so. I'm just short of giving them this phone back, even though they told me they cannot take it back. They can certainly wear it while at work, in a not-so-obvious place IMO. :rofl3: David

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, you could buy a Mac, you wouldn't have an issue then.....

Just kidding...you've spent enough money.;)

There is an app in the app store called WiFi Explorer Plus. It will cost about a $1.10. What it will do is it will give you a web address to type in your browser. Then you can access your SD card, load music, pictures, via the web.

I have it, works great. I used it yesterday to download and install Angry Birds.

It's in the Market. Check it out.

twilson1118

Reaction score
Have you tried the pc modes on usb. Windows media player or zune I think is the option. Driver issue under windows causing issue is under dvd cd section, disable it and mass media mode will work. Do not delete it since it simply reinstalls itself. This worked for me.

This messsage posted with droid 2 during lunchbreak so sorry not more detailed

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try plugging it in on a newer computer (assuming yours isn't new)

OP
D

dThurman

Reaction score
Problem solved. After trying so many things, I took the phone, the PC cord, my laptop to the store and told them to make it work. They would not hook up my PC at their store-liability problems. The first two employees told me that there was no way to transfer photos from the Droid 2 to a computer without taking the micro SD card out, then use an adapter to hook into a computer. A third employee told me she transfers music, and charges her phone with the PC cord, but has never heard of transferring photos this way. The fourth employee didn't say much, he just told one of them to get "Kevin" from in the back. Kevin came out, listened to me, looked at the phone, then looked at the cord and told me "Only a genuine Motorola PC transfer cored will work with the Android series of phones". Where did you get this one? Doesn't matter now. I explained to him that I did not get a PC cord, nor an 8GB micro SD card with my phone as I found out I should have. He offered me a new PC cord, but could not give me the card. The salesperson would have to give me the card, and she would have to pay for it for forgetting it. Leave that one alone also. The new cord linked right up, the phone has all the info showing that it should, the PC has the info it should, all is well now.

twilson1118

Reaction score
You might of got what is called a charge only cord, it has the data pins disabled on the pc end and around 200 ohms on the droid 2 end, its meant for devices that won't either communicate with the phone(say a power brick),etc. allowing you to sometimes use stubborn usb ports that otherwise would not let you charge. I need one for the lasonic i931 boombox i got so i can carry one less ac adapter around, it has front usb ports and powers them when using the aux input, but for some reason won't charge the phone off it, it can charge my palm tungsten c no problems.

Canadroid

Reaction score
The first two employees told me that there was no way to transfer photos from the Droid 2 to a computer without taking the micro SD card out, then use an adapter to hook into a computer.

/facepalm

Being able to throw files around via USB with relative ease is one of the main things that sold me on a droid smartphone!

A third employee told me she transfers music, and charges her phone with the PC cord, but has never heard of transferring photos this way. The fourth employee didn't say much, he just told one of them to get "Kevin" from in the back. Kevin came out, listened to me, looked at the phone, then looked at the cord and told me "Only a genuine Motorola PC transfer cored will work with the Android series of phones".

I also had to 'pull the man from the back' yesterday in order to get all of the pics/vids/tones pulled from my wife's old LG to her new D2. Took three of them putting their heads together but they got it done!

For transferring small files from PC to phone you might also look into an app called Dropbox, I've played with it a little: basically creates a secure 'cloud folder' you fill from the PC and then download at will from the phone or another PC via the web. Beats plugging anything in if you're sitting at home and just want to transfer one or two files quickly.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm flat out stunned at the comments made by reps.

Unbelievable... seriously... isn't there SOME type of training?

Are they really spreading such blatant misinformation to consumers?

johall07

Reaction score
I'm flat out stunned at the comments made by reps.

Unbelievable... seriously... isn't there SOME type of training?

Are they really spreading such blatant misinformation to consumers?

thank god for kevin

yes....went with my buddy to get his droid inc. i asked the rep what screen the one he was getting had and the dude looked at me like i had 17 heads and proceeded to tell me it would be idiotic for a company to make the same phone with different screens :icon_eek:

oshigeru

Reaction score
Current drivers are 4.7.1, I believe. The one with Motoconnect bundled. What OS are you running?

RemyL75

Reaction score
And this is why I NEVER talk to the salespeople at ANY electronic stores. The guy that knows anything is in the back and all they want to do is make a sale. There are a lot of times I have made them hate me by jumping in and correcting them in front of the customer lol. That is the only joy I get from electronic stores salespeople.

kechamb

Reaction score
Recently I was in a well known electronics chain store and overheard a discussion between a sales rep and customer concerning new Verizon phones coming out that went a little like this. Customer was telling rep they are up for a new phone and has decided to go with a android type and was wanting to know if Verizon had plans to release anything new in the next couple of months. The rep replied no Verizon is done releasing phones for the year and nothing new will come out until March or April next year. The rep then received a phone call and excused himself and thats when I spoke up and told the customer that Verizon did have new phones coming out and told him if he wanted more info just to do a little research (pointed hin to the forum) and he could find more info that he ever needed. The customer thanked me and left but that was not the end I continued to look around and I guess when the rep asked one of his co-workers where the customer went he told him what I had said and this guy had the nerve to tell me " thanks you lost me a sale". So bottom line the sale is what is important not the service. Side note complained to management and was givien gift card and apoligized to.

mikehal38

Reaction score
It's always about the sale. That's why verizon did away with their csr position. Everyone is now a sales rep and works off of commission so they are always going to push you to buy today.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
D

dThurman

Reaction score
Well, here goes another one. On my "home screen" there is an icon for "Social Networking" which is Facebook. When I touch this icon I get back dated posts from fb with the latest one dated Sept. 11. So, knowing better, I go to the store and actually find the young lady who sold me this phone and told the "greeter" that I wanted to talk to Jennifer. Nope, you have to talk to the next rep in line. NOT- they don't know me well. I politely inform the "greeter" that I will stand in front of the front door, not allow anyone in until I get to talk to Jennifer of until the police arrive, whichever comes first. This doesn't matter to me, I've been around a few other blocks in my life. No cooperation from her. I do go stand in front of the entrance door so that no one can enter nor leave. One lady who heard me came over and asked if I was serious. "Yes, ma'm, as serious as a stage three heart attack, just watch. A "manager" type child person came over to ask me what was going on, I told him I wanted to talk to Jennifer who sold me the phone and I was not moving until I talked to Jennifer. "So what's the problem, he asks"? I don't know--ask your greeter. They have a conversation, he directs me straight to Jennifer and the greeter looks as if she has swallowed barbed-wire. When I ask Jennifer about this "Social Networking" icon and the old fb posts--she is amazed. "You have Facebook on that phone?" How did you do that?
Yes, she's blond. Is Kevin here? Remember Kevin? No, Kevin's not in now. Get someone who knows how to erase these old posts. No one does, NO ONE. I still have them. I'll use the forum to get my answer.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Facebook app?