I'm ready for a new Droid but curious

raylet

Reaction score
Current contract is up and wanting a new phone for the least $$$. Best Buy has a Black Friday deal for a free Razr Maxx with new contract. This particular Maxx has the GB system while the Maxx at the VZW store has ICS. Is there a significant difference for the $200 or is the Best Buy deal with GB a no brainer. I'm a casual user and for the most part I use the phone to communicate, e-mail and a few apps. Opinions please.

Thanks, Ray

cbreze

Reaction score
You'll get a ton of opinions re which OS is better. Some swear by ICS while others like me thank god I'm still on GB. I'd suggest googling ICS issues before deciding. IMHO even a stellar working ICS is not all its cracked up to be. Your usage sounds pretty basic, that said GB should be a very stable operating system for you. ICS fanboys think their OS just rocks their worlds while I'm wondering why so many that made the jump to it now want to go back to GB, which is not doable btw. You could get the GB phone try it and always upgrade later. But my suggestion is two fold. Go to a store, Verizon maybe and try an ICS Maxx then read others comments about it and make up your own mind. Again, IMHO upgrading isn't always better. What works for you personally is what's better.
To me it really is a no brainer to go for the free one.

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought ICS was official on the Razr Maxx. If so, you will be notified of update when phone boots....

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

OP
R

raylet

Reaction score
I thought ICS was official on the Razr Maxx. If so, you will be notified of update when phone boots....

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
The sales rep at the Verizon store said this also. I was even surprised when he said to wait for the Black Friday deal at Best Buy.
At this point I think I'll be in line at BB. Thanks!

chuckr01

Reaction score
Current contract is up and wanting a new phone for the least $$$. Best Buy has a Black Friday deal for a free Razr Maxx with new contract. This particular Maxx has the GB system while the Maxx at the VZW store has ICS. Is there a significant difference for the $200 or is the Best Buy deal with GB a no brainer. I'm a casual user and for the most part I use the phone to communicate, e-mail and a few apps. Opinions please.

Thanks, Ray

I now have a refurbished RAZR MAXX the replaced my Droid 4. It came with ICS and I agree with the post above, if you you get the GB phone it will probably upgrade to ICS when you fire it up. I haven't any issues with the Maxx and the battery lasts all day although I'm not a heavy user, just e-mail and occasional browsing. I went through 2 replacement Droid 4s due to poor battery life after the ICS upgrade. I'm happy with the Maxx but I miss the Droid 4 keyboard. I'm pretty sure Jelly Bean will be coming to the Maxx pretty soon since the Razr M is already getting it. Go for the Best Buy deal.

clover408

Reaction score
I heard you can go back to gb by going to a verizon store and they will put your phone back to gb 2.3.6