I'm over root.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by maverick31210, Oct 3, 2010.

1. maverick31210

maverick31210 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been rooted for a while not and to be honest, I'm over it. Its more of a pain in the ass then anything. I like being able to overclock but other than that not much else.

I've tried a bunch of different custom roms, installed properly followed directions. I even rooted properly and didn't use easyroot or any other cheat methods. In the end I ended running the stock froyo rom. Sure custom roms offer a few cool features here and there, but really id rather just have my phone and apps work properly then be able to say that my stuff looks cooler or my notification bar is different than most other people with a droid....seriosuly now, and while I do appreciate the work of custom rom devs I feel foolish thinking that someone who does this as a pastime in ther spare time can create a better OS than then people who work for google and do this for a living.

Most if not all custom roms and mods for that matter end up causing more problems than they are worth. Honestly I'm willing to live with a 550mhz phone if it all works propely and does what its supposed to do. To each his own really, but after being rooted for quite some time and seeing how besides the overclocking possibilities I don't use or care for any of the other features this whole thing has just became a giant pain in the ass. I'm going to go ahead and unroot, go to verizon and tell them my phone is freezing up/screwing up etc...(which it is) and hope they warranty or insurance replace it. Hopefully they'll give me the droid 2. From now on I'm leaving the phone development to the phone developers.

That's my 2 cents, bring the hate but to each his own and this is mine.

2. 1016

1016 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rooting isn't for everyone.

I personally have not had any issues with apps and features not working correctly (Sapphire 1.1.1). Do you mind sharing what ROMs you tried?

The only ROM I have had problems with is Zenito (MIUI), but that is because it is beta. I still use it because it is almost fully functional and I really enjoy being apart of the beta process.

For me the appeal of rooting is having control of my device I paid money for. There are ROM based on the official releases and that is usually what I stick to.

Sent from the future... yeah, Droid does that too.

3. doctordoctor

doctordoctor Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I can't help it but I am addicted to messing with this thing....maybe I am depressed and this is my only joy.... my NCAA team is rebuilding and it isn't pretty, so why not make my phone pretty

4. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

Ratings:
    +1
    Why not just run the stock ROM, rooted? That's what I do and I have no trouble at all with any of the things you mention. Then you can still tether, run Titanium backup, etc. but have all the stability, etc.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    No hate here. I can appreciate your reasons. Chasing roms can be like a full time hobby but I enjoy it.

I don't see any difference between Verizons devs and the devs here...only a paycheck.

I wish you well with ur return.

~ Droid ~

6. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +289
    Definitely rooting or not rooting is your own decision. It sounds like if you're having a problem with freezing issues and you're returning the phone anyway, that it could possibly be the phone and not rooting that were causing your issues, no?

7. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Well, I would do that if I was still using my Moto 1. And that's exactly what I did, I never ran anyone's ROM except Droidmod. Rooted Froyo was stable, I could overclock, remove what I wanted. FRG01B and Flash worked just fine. I ran it off a signed Verizon version developed by jrummy.

With the Droid 2 I'm not secure in the methods done to root it. I feel much better using SPRecovery and I know I can't do that, at least now. So I'm staying stock and to be honest Verizon's "forced down my throat" programs aren't bugging me. I can easily understand though why it would bother others.

8. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    No hate. Enjoy YOUR phone !!

9. sundialman

sundialman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Appreciate the perspective. I am tempted to try rooting my phone because of the sense of mastery over the technology but I think it requires I pay more attention to the phone than I want to. I benefit from everyone out there who can make modifications and am grateful for the effort they put inot it but the bottom line for me has been to keep it stock works fine.

10. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Listen, once rooted and setup on the ROM of your choosing, unless you want to switch, you are basically done anyways ... it is the ability to do what you want, that freedom... that is attractive to most to begin with.

Stock or root, it's about it being your phone!

Want to run stock? Great! Don't? Well people here are here to assist anyone who wants it.

That's the bottom line.

As we are all winding down from Froyo, the withdrawals begin, and so do the Gingerbread threads, in which we will cover whether or not to unroot for it or not hehehe ....

11. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

Ratings:
    +1
    How do you backup your apps and settings on your D2? If you don't have the benefit of a decent recovery app, I'd think that being able to at least run something like Titanium backup would be imperative.

12. maverick31210

maverick31210 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, as someone mentioned before what I am doing now is running stock froyo with root. I would just like to upgrade to the d2. Chasing roms does become a hobby. Lots of trial and error involved. Really though I just expected more features with root other than the main ones being able to change apperance settings.