I'm not talking smack but...

NewDroidOrder

Reaction score
I had been waiting for UD 3.0.0 forever, then as soon as I had it I had a boat load of problems that I couldn't stand having because I'm used to running UD 2.5 so any bugs are just not cool with me. Then 3.0.1 comes out and I load it up before really taking a look at the change log for it and still again fairly disappointed with the 3.x.x series so far. I still plan on giving every new release a shot, but as of now I really cant stay on something as buggy as 3.0.1.

Anyways, just wanted to say thank you for all of your hard work! I found the ROM that I know is rock solid I'm just too antsy to get a hold of a newer version of UD because it means new cool stuff.

Is there any talk of whats going on with the current UD 3.x.x advancement?

djbrent2

Reaction score
i'm not insulting the devs, but these GB roms have been put out without being fully tested and fixed. the lists of bugs are long. i think it's got something to do with wanting more donations and trying to be first. i couldn't get any RaidZero, ChevyNo1, or any other kernel to boot version 3. i've just put 3.01 and i'm going to try Pete's 1ghz in a bit. it probably won't boot, but i'll be glad if it does. 800 isn't fast enough. i've experienced the missing pics in gallery. i unlocked the phone the other day and every widget was broken. i had to remove all of them and add them back. i was using it, set it down, then when i picked it up it was rebooting itself. i'm not a themer, but i'm sure it's annoying to have to update your theme often in order to keep up with new releases. i've been wanting to use MIUI for a while, but i'm not interested in doing that on a weekly basis, especially when it takes extra time to set up the phone the way you want. this might actually be Google's fault, but the News widget has become too much of a pain to use. it shouldn't refresh while you're trying to read it. i even turned off auto refresh and every time i come back from reading an article, the entire list has cycled over to newer news. i'm not ready to quit using this ROM yet, but it's a problem. i don't even pick my ROM based on the ROM itself any more. i just pick the one that has the theme i like. all of them have problems!

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
i'm not insulting the devs, but these GB roms have been put out without being fully tested and fixed. the lists of bugs are long. i think it's got something to do with wanting more donations and trying to be first. i couldn't get any RaidZero, ChevyNo1, or any other kernel to boot version 3. i've just put 3.01 and i'm going to try Pete's 1ghz in a bit. it probably won't boot, but i'll be glad if it does. 800 isn't fast enough. i've experienced the missing pics in gallery. i unlocked the phone the other day and every widget was broken. i had to remove all of them and add them back. i was using it, set it down, then when i picked it up it was rebooting itself. i'm not a themer, but i'm sure it's annoying to have to update your theme often in order to keep up with new releases. i've been wanting to use MIUI for a while, but i'm not interested in doing that on a weekly basis, especially when it takes extra time to set up the phone the way you want. this might actually be Google's fault, but the News widget has become too much of a pain to use. it shouldn't refresh while you're trying to read it. i even turned off auto refresh and every time i come back from reading an article, the entire list has cycled over to newer news. i'm not ready to quit using this ROM yet, but it's a problem. i don't even pick my ROM based on the ROM itself any more. i just pick the one that has the theme i like. all of them have problems!

well heres the problem with the idea of picking the one with the theme you like most....if the rom itself sucks? whats the point in it? you keep bashing the rom for its issues when you fail to realize UD 3.0.1 is in of itself technically a NIGHTLY rom meaning its basically just a testing phase version of the final version that they will release based on it. and if you stick with the verison you have your fave theme on it then you'll miss out on all the new add ons and changes they make to it. for instance the settings for the phone have been changed around to be more in depth and customizable in 3.0.1 and the rom itself is based on gingerbread i believe. so in time theyll fix the bugs and it'll run even SMOOTHER than the previous versions based on froyo.

I had been waiting for UD 3.0.0 forever, then as soon as I had it I had a boat load of problems that I couldn't stand having because I'm used to running UD 2.5 so any bugs are just not cool with me. Then 3.0.1 comes out and I load it up before really taking a look at the change log for it and still again fairly disappointed with the 3.x.x series so far. I still plan on giving every new release a shot, but as of now I really cant stay on something as buggy as 3.0.1.

Anyways, just wanted to say thank you for all of your hard work! I found the ROM that I know is rock solid I'm just too antsy to get a hold of a newer version of UD because it means new cool stuff.

Is there any talk of whats going on with the current UD 3.x.x advancement?

and by the way? by SAYING "i'm not talking smack" you are implying you mean to do just that. especailly with what you follow up with in your post. the only thing i've complained about was their 3 dollar monthly fee they put up for the nightly downloads. which in of itself isn't really THAT big of a deal when you think about it since nightlies are completley experimental and not at all the final release. so testing out broken roms is at your own risk. which is why they charge for it. only issue i have with that fee is that its monthly and not a donation option like "donate any ammount and get premium account service permanent" which would be BETTER for them because than more people would be willing and able to do it lol.

none the less dont complain about a rom release that is still in beta testing phases since everyone already konws there are bugs.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
GB buggy? Why is it that a surprise? GB has only been released for Nexus S. So between leaks & system dumps they don't have much done for them. Also some apps need to be updated for GB & there's nothing the devs can do about that.

There were 3 new GB builds released in the past 24 hours that were all quite stable & capable of being daily drivers & none of them are UD so I don't know if you'd give them the time of day.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Um. Ok.

At risk of sounding d***chy, I will limit my comments.

GB wasn't and isn't meant for OG Droid. These builds are always going to be buggy, they are piecemealed together by the seat of the devs pants. 800Mhz is slow because GB is meant for a phone with a 1-1.4Ghz chip. Due to the fact Droid's can only safely go to 1.2-1.25, they are well outside the range (because they have to be overclocked to get there).

I think these devs have been doing great work on keeping up with the hype. My stock keyboard has FC'd ever since 2.2.1. What did I do about it? Got pete's GBKB fix. Done.

Just flash a 2.2.2 ROM and it will be nice and quick.

/rant

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
Um. Ok.

At risk of sounding d***chy, I will limit my comments.

GB wasn't and isn't meant for OG Droid. These builds are always going to be buggy, they are piecemealed together by the seat of the devs pants. 800Mhz is slow because GB is meant for a phone with a 1-1.4Ghz chip. Due to the fact Droid's can only safely go to 1.2-1.25, they are well outside the range (because they have to be overclocked to get there).

I think these devs have been doing great work on keeping up with the hype. My stock keyboard has FC'd ever since 2.2.1. What did I do about it? Got pete's GBKB fix. Done.

Just flash a 2.2.2 ROM and it will be nice and quick.

/rant

do you happen to know a fix for the market crashing on 3.0.1?

market keeps force closing for me. im running 3.0.1 with the honeybread theme. and this issue came up before the theme was installed so idk what the issue could be ;-; is there a fix for the market?

oh let me be clear about the force close its "android.process.media" that keeps crashing idk what that is exactly since im not a pro at modding my droid just yet lol. and the market force closing only closes when i start a download. that error i get happens every so often no matter what but every time i try to download an app it comes up right as the download starts. otherwise i can explore the market freely no issues. what exactly IS the "android.process.media"? what does it do? is it linked to googles market place only? because it also comes up when i try and use "lyrics app" which shows the lyrics for music when youre laying music with a status bar icon.

OP
N

NewDroidOrder

Reaction score
I'm not a doctor or anything but I don't see anywhere where it says "RC" or "beta" on these newer releases (3.x.x) anymore. I see that you decided to read only what you wanted in my post, as you can see I am very pleased with UD being that 2.5 is a rock solid ROM. It's pretty much the only thing I will run on my phone as of the past 3 months or more. I'm merely stating my opinion on the matter, just because these recent releases are buggy doesn't mean that I won't continue to try them out. All I'm saying is that things don't need to be rushed when it comes to new releases. It's indeed a good thing that these are made public so that any problems can be discovered and worked out.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not a doctor or anything but I don't see anywhere where it says "RC" or "beta" on these newer releases (3.x.x) anymore....

That is something BD decided to do with UD 3.0 final... I didn't understand that either.

Reaction score
Okay first of all I'm not sure why people keep saying "blackdroids 3.x.x isn't an everyday rom because of <insert bug here>" I've been using his 3.0.1 rom as an everyday rom and its perfect. I can't even find a bug, there probably are a few I just don't see them.

Secondly, these guys work there butts off to bring gingerbread to a phone that will never officially get it. Yes there will be bugs, yes they will be fixed, and yes it will take time. But people make threads like this one or posts like these everyday, complaining isn't going to make things go any faster.

Thirdly, its not a race for donations or to be first. Why? Because if they put out a crap rom first that sucks, nobody is going to donate. Ever notice that BD doesn't put out official releases everyday? Its because he wants to try and fix possible bugs first and then release it. Stop asking for a spotless, perfect rom right off the bat, or go make your own. These things take time, if you want something perfect go back to a froyo rom.

Fourthly, I am not trying to flame or attack anybody, but this all needed to be said

b-jammin21

Reaction score
These ROMs most likely get rushed because little whineys make threads about "where is Gingerbread" and "can't wait for Gingerbread" and "who has a status update on BD's Gingerbread." I'm sure this doesn't help any devs take their time to make a solid ROM when users are clawing at their feet for it to come out RIGHT NOW because "they can't wait anymore." Then when a release is rushed to make users happy, they all complain about bugs. Give em a break and some time to create a solid ROM...

And another thing. I wish people would stop complaining about nightlies for several reasons:

1. Its on their OWN website. I'm pretty sure that devs can do what they want on their own website. That means if they want to charge you the money you can find under your couch cushions each month for experimental and possibly broken bug fixes that "you just can't wait for an update release for", then so be it. You can choose to wait for updates to the ROM and not subscribe to nightlies. After all, this is America, and there are choices.

2. Its 3 friggin dollars a month, come on. How can you really complain about this? I'm a broke college graduate with no job. I can even afford this. But once again, you DO have the option to NOT subscribe and wait for updates to the ROM.

So, to conclude my rant, lol, give these guys a break, let them create a good finished product, and be patient. Otherwise, deal with bugs...

Play a jam!

Skull One

Reaction score
Okay first of all I'm not sure why people keep saying "blackdroids 3.x.x isn't an everyday rom because of <insert bug here>" I've been using his 3.0.1 rom as an everyday rom and its perfect. I can't even find a bug, there probably are a few I just don't see them.

Secondly, these guys work there butts off to bring gingerbread to a phone that will never officially get it. Yes there will be bugs, yes they will be fixed, and yes it will take time. But people make threads like this one or posts like these everyday, complaining isn't going to make things go any faster.

Thirdly, its not a race for donations or to be first. Why? Because if they put out a crap rom first that sucks, nobody is going to donate. Ever notice that BD doesn't put out official releases everyday? Its because he wants to try and fix possible bugs first and then release it. Stop asking for a spotless, perfect rom right off the bat, or go make your own. These things take time, if you want something perfect go back to a froyo rom.

Fourthly, I am not trying to flame or attack anybody, but this all needed to be said

Lets address each of your points.

1) You are one person. Your phone is different than my phone. The voltage and frequency required for it to run properly is different for each phone. If you are lucky enough that this ROM build with this particular kernel works on your phone, then that is great for you. It doesn't work on mine. Hence it makes the ROM "SEEM" buggy, when in fact it is simply a voltage/speed issue.

2) No non-Google, already in the field, phone manufacturers are going to be releasing 2.3 updates when they have been told by Google that 2.4 is just around the corner because it will be an "optimized" version of 2.3 and have 3.0 API integration. Please quit saying the Motorola Droid or any other phone is not getting Gingerbread. Your statement, at best, is a lie.

3) It damn well is a race to be first. And money is riding on being first. If you don't believe that fact, I am sorry. But that is the sad truth of ROM development today. You show me a ROM maker that doesn't have a donate link, I will show you that that ROM maker has been doing this less than 3 months.

4) It is a shame you said it wrong even though you had good intentions.

Reaction score

1) You are one person. Your phone is different than my phone. The voltage and frequency required for it to run properly is different for each phone. If you are lucky enough that this ROM build with this particular kernel works on your phone, then that is great for you. It doesn't work on mine. Hence it makes the ROM "SEEM" buggy, when in fact it is simply a voltage/speed issue.

2) No non-Google, already in the field, phone manufacturers are going to be releasing 2.3 updates when they have been told by Google that 2.4 is just around the corner because it will be an "optimized" version of 2.3 and have 3.0 API integration. Please quit saying the Motorola Droid or any other phone is not getting Gingerbread. Your statement, at best, is a lie.

3) It damn well is a race to be first. And money is riding on being first. If you don't believe that fact, I am sorry. But that is the sad truth of ROM development today. You show me a ROM maker that doesn't have a donate link, I will show you that that ROM maker has been doing this less than 3 months.

1. Your right different kernels/roms work good and bad on different peoples phones. I know this because back in the old UD days my phone refused to run UD without having issues. I do get some bugs, but its nothing that makes the rom unusable.

2. Its not a lie or the truth, more of just a rumor. It could happen, or could not happen. But these devs try there best to bring it to us now so that we don't have to wait forever for it to be released to by non-google manufacturers.

3. Your right all the rom makers have a donation link, if I made roms id have one as well. But let me ask you think, if you downloaded a **** rom, just plain ****, but it was first. And then somebody else a few days later released a rom based off the same thing but was 80% better, which dev would you be more willing to donate too? For me its about the quality and not how many updates the dev puts out.

4. Sadly I could've worded it better, but I'm a little frustrated because a lot of people seem ungrateful that these guys do there best to bring us GB early

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

You believe the OG droid will get an official 2.4 OTA? That's interesting. I don't see that happening to be honest. The last "update" to the OG droid was December I believe and that was just a minor bug fix for Froyo. The last major OTA was Froyo in August. I'd be extremely surprised if they pushed another OTA to the D1. While it's not impossible, I wouldn't go so far as saying that someone who believes that it's not going to happen is lying...Motorola has no reason at all to continue to support the OG Droid, at least none that I can see.

sherpajosh

Reaction score
oh let me be clear about the force close its "android.process.media" that keeps crashing idk what that is exactly since im not a pro at modding my droid just yet lol. and the market force closing only closes when i start a download. that error i get happens every so often no matter what but every time i try to download an app it comes up right as the download starts. otherwise i can explore the market freely no issues. what exactly IS the "android.process.media"? what does it do? is it linked to googles market place only? because it also comes up when i try and use "lyrics app" which shows the lyrics for music when youre laying music with a status bar icon.

I had a similar problem with this process. For me the process was eating up my cpu and draining my battery like mad. It was because there was a file that android wasn't able to recognize, in my case some music in flac format. So android was continuously scanning trying to figure out what to do with it. There is some more info over here. Luckily I knew what the files were, you may have to go through a bunch to figure out what's going on with yours. As far as I know the android media process and market do not have a relationship.