I'm NOT crazy afterall!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have experienced NONE of this.Guess I'm lucky :) Smooth transitions... sometimes I'd get a snag but 2.0 is so new you can't expect perfection. Also I've found some of the home replacements, specifically PandaHome and Home++ make the transitions seemless.

Droids

Reaction score
Another thing... doesn't the iPhone have the same processor as the Droid? Thought I read that somewhere. And one of the biggest complaints that iPhone users have when checking out the Droid is that the iPhone is "smoother scrolling". Of course it is, it's a much lower resolution screen, much less work for the CPU/GPU. The Eris, I don't know it's resolution but the display is smaller so less pixels to repaint, thus it feels (and is) faster. It's a trade off of having the bigger display on the Droid.

FoFa

Reaction score
I have noticed a certain jerkiness in switching screens on my droid, and i can recreate it at will. Or I can have smooth scrolling at will.

Does not seem to be the Droid as much as how you actually do it.

Does not seem to be bothered by running apps, or anything, just how you actually do it.

But that is just what I noticed.

darreno1

Reaction score
Another thing... doesn't the iPhone have the same processor as the Droid? Thought I read that somewhere. And one of the biggest complaints that iPhone users have when checking out the Droid is that the iPhone is "smoother scrolling". Of course it is, it's a much lower resolution screen, much less work for the CPU/GPU. The Eris, I don't know it's resolution but the display is smaller so less pixels to repaint, thus it feels (and is) faster. It's a trade off of having the bigger display on the Droid.

True however I think the code can be optimized to increase the overall smoothness but you're right, the Droid's GPU has more work to do.

A good example of better coding (in terms of performance) is the Dolphin Browser. Panning around it (and scrolling) is noticeably smoother than the default browser.

To the OP: You cannot just brush over the fact that the Droid has a larger higher res screen. To achieve the same level of smoothness, the Droid's hardware (cpu + gpu) has more work to do. However like I mentioned above, I'm sure the code can be further optimized to allow smoother transitions. Android 2.0 is still a work in progress so I'm sure it will get there.

As for the Eris/Hero, yeah they've got smoother UIs but that's about it. When they're asked to multitask, they lag like no other. That's the main reason I completely skipped over the Hero. The demo Hero at the Sprint store seemed pretty quick the first time I played with it. The second time, someone was checking it out so one of the Reps offered me her Hero to play with. It was so laggy, choppy and slow overall I quickly realized it wasn't the phone for me. And there were only a few things running in the background.

The Droid might have some choppy animation but it's no where near as slow as those other phones and handles multitasking with ease.

silverx10

Reaction score
As the Eris and DROID were nextdoor neighbors in the store, I, too, played around with both.

And I found that ultimately, the Eris was the trailing phone of the two.

As others have said, I've got no issues with my DROID. It lags a little here and there, but so did the iPhone, so did the Voyager, so did the KRAVE, and every other (semi-)smart phone I've ever owned.

ChrisK15

Reaction score
You also have to remember that the Eris is running an older CPU architecture. Even though the Droid has over twice the pixels, it also has a much better CPU/GPU package. I think it's just Android 2.0. Look at the demos of the Xperia X10, and how laggy it was. I think 2.1 will make everything a lot smoother.

Adlerson

Reaction score
And I'm glad I'm not crazy after all, either! :)
I have the same experiences as the OP, and to me it's been the biggest disappointment of the Droid. Don't get me wrong, I LOOOVE my Droid, but this jerkiness is the one thing that keeps me from making a little shrine for it.. ;)

romeov

Reaction score
The 2x resolution is a HUGE issue with this problem. And I agree with the guy who said to get an Eris. I don't see it as Snarky at all, you go into a Verizon store, play with the Eris and Droid side by side, love the Eris, don't like the Droid, and then you buy the droid and are unhappy?

Maybe you didn't know about the problem before purchase, and I get that. But it seems that's more your fault for not buying the phone you obviously like more. I dunno.

Silverwing

Reaction score
The 2x resolution is a HUGE issue with this problem. And I agree with the guy who said to get an Eris. I don't see it as Snarky at all, you go into a Verizon store, play with the Eris and Droid side by side, love the Eris, don't like the Droid, and then you buy the droid and are unhappy?

Maybe you didn't know about the problem before purchase, and I get that. But it seems that's more your fault for not buying the phone you obviously like more. I dunno.

He clearly stated the reasons why he prefers the Motorola Droid. With that said, the point of his post was to say the mDroid could be as good, if not better, than the htcDroid, and that is what he would like. Heck, that is what I would like - and from the look of things, 80% of everyone who posted in this thread.

Is there any official acknowledgment by google of this FPS/Lag/Jerkiness issue, I would to see it fixed. If that is fixed, the Droid would be better than the iPhone in every regard, imo.

Zozz

Reaction score
Yea, I experience a jerky transition between homescreens. I finally turned on my iPhone since I got the Droid and noticed how smooth it was. I fealt a little bad for my Droid, my GF's Hero is quite smooth too. Its starting to bother me, hope there's a fix soon.

superglen99

Reaction score
my phone has been jerky too but not enough to cause a serious problem. it does make me kinda sad though that I can see my buddy scrolling through his pages of apps smoothly and mine aren't quite as smooth. where can we post about this to get it fixed in an update soon?

authority11

Reaction score
Is this lag the same type of lag I experience when scrolling through my application tray? The scrolling is incredibly jerky when I scroll through the application tray.

Silverwing

Reaction score
Yup, that's the same evil lag. It appears to be software related...but nobody is sure yet.

lauriep

Reaction score
Mine was as smooth as my Touch until just recently, which makes me think I have installed something that is slowing it down. Out of the box, it couldnot be faulted on moving side to side (home screens) or scrolling.