I'm new to the Droid and I really want to root it.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Crazy, May 15, 2010.

1. Crazy

Crazy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I'm new to the Droid and I heard the best ROM for it was the Bugless Beast. If not... what's the best one?

I don't know this site that well so is there a step that gives detailed explanations of rooting it and also overlocking?

And I'm on 2.1.

Thanks guys!!

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Moved to hacking thread for better response.

3. kaboyd

kaboyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. xxlostsurferx16

Ratings:
    +0
    There's plenty of help in the hacking section, I actually think rooting is a sticky in the hacking section. I used Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog to root mine the dude on there has a step by step video. But if you don't need the video check out the stickies in the hacking section

5. c0y0te

c0y0te Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You will need to download RSDlite, which is a Motorola program, along with the appropriate usb drivers.

*Learn how to use the search function for this forum.

REBOOT INTO RECOVERY AND MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

RSDLite uses .sbf files to flash onto your phone. You will need the one for Sprecovery, which is a custom recovery program with root access.

Follow the directions on the thread about it in the hacking section, which is where you will find the files.

Yeah, bugless beast is the nuts, but you might want to flash a standard rooted 2.1 rom first. You will see why further down in all caps.

After you get sprecovery, find a basic 2.1ota .zip file, rename to update.zip, place on root directory of sd card (not the same as root system that you don't have yet) reboot into recovery by holding x+power when phone is off, apply update.zip.

You can't do any of that without a custom recovery. Hence the .sbf file flash first.

Then dl rom manager from the market, flash clockworkmod recovery over sprecovery cuz its newer and ther is no sbf for it.

MAKE A FRESH BACKUP OF THE ROOTED 2.1.

Then reboot into clockworkmod, wipe data and cashe before you FORMAT SYSTEM, BOOT, DATA AND CASHE TWICE EACH FROM THE PARTITIANS MENU. THEN INSTALL BUGLESS BEAST.

BB WILL RUN MUCH BETTER AND COOLER IF YOU DO THIS. Bb is HIGHLY modified rom.

You could do those wipes through adb, which you should learn to use, but you need to learn clockworkmod too.

Now you are free to dl any rom you want, bb is on rom manager premium but you can get the zip for free from petes section in hacking section. BB w/smoked glass is the nuts.

I format all 4 partitians like described earlier before I flash any new rom just to make sure to get all the junk out. If you install adb and learn the format commands you don't need to flash an intermediate rom or clockworkmod, but pete recomends clockwork and imo, for a noob it would be easier the way I described cuz you won't have to use adb, although you should learn it eventually.

Some people will tell you to go ahead with adb first and chastize me, but most of them won't even mention the system or boot partitians, which are crucial for bb. whatever have fun and welcome to the root scene.

#5 c0y0te, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010