im lost. need help please.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kahlem, Jul 10, 2010.

1. kahlem

kahlem New Member

I please need help rooting my Droid. OK, I have had my Droid since release date and have a good bit of knowledge about the device. I have scrolled through forum after forum, read thread after thread, video after video and pretty much know what to do. Know here's the kicker. My PC is trashed thanks to a busted water line. I wanted to root it back then but i chickend out because of bricking.Now I have seen and read on how to root without a pc and yes I tried but to no avail. I have all the necessary files on my SD card. Also rom manager, terminal emulator. I even tried dm updater, that was a joke. I'm on 2.1 update. Can you guys help me please.I love my Droid and will never turn to AT&T. I want to Froyo my Motor please. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

If you are on stock 2.1 you can't root without a computer.
  3. kahlem

kahlem New Member

What if I revert to 2.0.1? I have those files also.
  4. titans

If you get to 2.0.1 use astro to install dmupdater, then use dmupdater to root
  5. kahlem

kahlem New Member

Any steps you suggest on reverting?
  6. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

There's no getting around it, you will need a computer for RSD Lite.
  7. kahlem

kahlem New Member

Rsdlight is on the root of my SD card with the help of astro. So I just need a da*n computer to flash it with rsd. Guess I could extract it from my SD onto a da*n computer and go from there. You think it would be worth a hour and a half drive to a da*n computer to root?
  8. titans

If this is going to be your phone for a while then yes.
  9. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

Kahlem. I'd just wait. I pretty sure froyo is coming to the droid sometime soon.
  10. kahlem

kahlem New Member

Corinacakes, any news on sure rooting for froyo update with backup with no bricks? I want to be able to have access as admin on my phone for diff roms also. If and when the official release comes I would like istructions on how to send it to you before I click the update button so you can capture the program rom so mods can do there thing.
  11. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

If you want to be able to put different ROMS on your Droid then what you will need to do is to download and install the latest Froyo app that we have available, which is the same one they are going to release only has root access. You will need a PC to to some of this, as mentioned before. When the OTA FROYO arrives it won't be rooted like the one we have now and I doubt if it will be rooted.
  12. kahlem

kahlem New Member

So in other words I probably want to root now then. If I don't root and wait for froyo update then I will probably want to revert to root since I wont have the capability of adding other roms or overclocking etc... admin super user ability. What do you suggest?
  13. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

If you ever want to root your phone you will need RSD Lite installed on a windows based computer so you can flash SPRecovery onto your phone. With that you can then flash various roms.

As for your comment on not wanting to brick your phone: I'd have to say that is a good goal. I'd also have to say that pretty much 100% of the people who follow the process to root their phone are hoping to be successful the first try and be about their business.

If all goes well it takes less than 5 minutes to download and install RSD Lite. It then take about 5 minutes to flash SPRecovery. Download the rom you want and use SPRecovery to install that and that can be completed in less than 10 minutes. In reality it probably will take you between 1 and 3 hours until you have your phone how you want it. Something may not work right with RSD Lite. You may have to go through the phone registration process a couple of times until it works right. On the plus side, all these folks you see talking about their rooted phones have all gone through this and are saying, "come on in, the water's fine"
  14. kahlem

kahlem New Member

First off christim, your awesome. You actually posted a thread that I for one feel some compassion from you to us here that need some serious help. LOL! You know what I mean. Well I am experienced with my Droid and its platform and want to unleash its true capabilities. Yes I am educated in all aspects of rooting,clockwork,roms, and all but its only what I have read here about the process of doing so. Everyone here is great and a great help with the threads they post, but you seem different. Anyway, even though I might have read a thousand post's and video after video on rooting and all its aspects I still get nervous. I know the process man but you know its like studying for those final exams and you know that you know it but you still get someone to help you to prepare and guide you through the steps to help you succeed in passing your test. Well brother, I'm not ashamed to say I still need help so I can get my feet wet and then take the plunge. Like you said "come on in the waters fine." I love my Droid and I want wants best for it and me. LOL! Now that the fear of permanent brick is not in my future I am ready to dive right on in but with some floaties. Ha! I have made it to rsdlight process and it would not open up when I clicked the icon on the home screen. It just said error. I was already plugged in under boot. Maybe the file was not the right type. I guess all I need is working legit links to files. Yes got the drivers unzipped installed. If you can further help I will name my Droid after you since you would be helping with the birth of a newly modded beast. Thanks again.
  15. kahlem

kahlem New Member

First off christim, your awesome. You actually posted a thread that I for one feel some compassion from you to us here that need some serious help. LOL! You know what I mean. Well I am experienced with my Droid and its platform and want to unleash its true capabilities. Yes I am educated in all aspects of rooting,clockwork,roms, and all but its only what I have read here about the process of doing so. Everyone here is great and a great help with the threads they post, but you seem different. Anyway, even though I might have read a thousand post's and video after video on rooting and all its aspects I still get nervous. I know the process man but you know its like studying for those final exams and you know that you know it but you still get someone to help you to prepare and guide you through the steps to help you succeed in passing your test. Well brother, I'm not ashamed to say I still need help so I can get my feet wet and then take the plunge. Like you said "come on in the waters fine." I love my Droid and I want wants best for it and me. LOL! Now that the fear of permanent brick is not in my future I am ready to dive right on in but with some floaties. Ha! I have made it to rsdlight process and it would not open up when I clicked the icon on the home screen. It just said error. I was already plugged in under boot. Maybe the file was not the right type. I guess all I need is working legit links to files. Yes got the drivers unzipped installed. If you can further help I will name my Droid after you since you would be helping with the birth of a newly modded beast. Thanks again.
  16. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

How are you making out Kahlem? Thanks for the awesome comment, I'm just trying to help folks get to where they want to be at. Been a busy last couple of days so I missed your recent post here. Glad you're finding the info here of use.

The 3rd link in my signature covers a bunch of RSD Lite issues folks have had and steps they have taken to resolve them, including the [start] button being grayed out.

If you are still stuck some further clarification of the situation on your end will help.

RSD Lite does not open when you click which icon on which homescreen?

Your computer's homescreen is usually called the desktop and the phone's desktop has been called the homescreen. Furthmore RSD Lite runs on the computer, not the phone, hence my confusion. You should start RSD Lite from Start/Programs/RSDLite (with a blue motorola icon). Both the first link in my sig and the 3rd one have links to the SBF files you need for SPRecovery.
  17. kahlem

kahlem New Member

thanks for your reply. yes i am stuck with the rsdlite issue. i try to open rsdlite on the desktop icon but always get " Application not found" message. i have uninstalled rsdlite and re-installed it and get the same error message. what am i doing wrong? please please help!:wacko::icon_ nono2::huh::unsure::icon_rolleyes::eek:
  18. kahlem

kahlem New Member

Well guys I am officially rooted now. I ran into so many problems I started to shoot myself. Turns out the computer I drove two hours to use was riddled with viruses. I went in and removed a lot of them and had to reinstall a lot of programs to run the applications I needed. But after all that I went in and thank God I remembered the rooting steps in my head cause this computer was Fubard!!! But I managed to root successfully the first try in 10 min!! Awesome! But now I might need some help on what to do from here. I'm just stock 2.1 rooted. I typed in the "su" in terminal emulator and it said access denied. What now? I have the little ninja dude in my app drawer. Help please.
  19. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

where you want to go. do you want to install a custom rom or do u just want froyo
  20. kahlem

kahlem New Member

When I press the ninja dude it does not show a list of commands. Terminal emulator with "su " comes back access denied.