I'm in a pickle....Which phone to ask for?

fx4guy

Reaction score
I have never had any of the reboot issues on my storm. My storm2 isnt even a day old. But its like i said earlier they all have bad apples out there and we are the lucky ones who get to find them. Just like my X if verizon would have just swapped the phone out one of the 3 times I would probably still have it. And their is no debating that the dorid os is far faster and more robust but for me it lacked some very key features and the biggest one was the battery issue. It very hard to use your phone when it has to basically has to stay plugged in. I think RIM will kind of be like Nokia here in a few years as they just arent putting out anything new or innovative. They will fade away when its all said and done but hopefully buy then the droid will have squared its self away and become a better all around phone and not just one that runs apps. Oh and out of the 2years i owned my storm i only had one problem with it and that was when i crushed it in my pocket and it wouldnt recognize my finger on the screen anymore but that was replaced under warranty.

rollingrock

Reaction score
I have never had any of the reboot issues on my storm. My storm2 isnt even a day old. But its like i said earlier they all have bad apples out there and we are the lucky ones who get to find them. Just like my X if verizon would have just swapped the phone out one of the 3 times I would probably still have it. And their is no debating that the dorid os is far faster and more robust but for me it lacked some very key features and the biggest one was the battery issue. It very hard to use your phone when it has to basically has to stay plugged in. I think RIM will kind of be like Nokia here in a few years as they just arent putting out anything new or innovative. They will fade away when its all said and done but hopefully buy then the droid will have squared its self away and become a better all around phone and not just one that runs apps. Oh and out of the 2years i owned my storm i only had one problem with it and that was when i crushed it in my pocket and it wouldnt recognize my finger on the screen anymore but that was replaced under warranty.

Best of luck to ya....you'll need it. As for battery, I think you over played that in your head....i don't keep my phone plugged in but like any power device, Android, or iPhone you will have to change your behavior but again with my Droid 2, I haven't feared I would run out yet...I may be new to Android OS but I consider myself a power user already...I use the phone and its function all day. With my Storm 2, if I was using it on the web and bluetooth, I would have to charge it several times per day to make it.

Again, good luck...but you will be back once you discover just how bad the Storm 2 is.

EDIT....tonight I asked my wife is she wanted my Storm 2, she said "hell no, I want a phone that works"

fx4guy

Reaction score
You do know that on the droid x that it keeps a log of when it was unplugged from the charger. Also just read through all the complaints about the battery life on the droidx in this forum. Its a hit and miss with their product. Not to mention all the push issues with it on email. Some units get mail And others you have to tell to go get the mail. There is an inconsistency in the production of the product. Another issue with it is the battery manager program. Sometimes it works but most times it forces itself closed. That is a know issues but hasn't been fixed yet. I am very happy with my storm and it post on the droid forum just as easy as the droid did. I unplugged my storm at around 1800 tonight and it still working great and isn't in need of re charging. That's with the Bluetooth on and wifi the droid x can not maintain its battery just do a search on here and you will see all the complaints. It is what it is all the phone manufactures have a few junk units that get out. Its fairly simple logic when you punch out as many units as they there will be a bad one or two. I just was taking the chance on a second unit.

OP
B

bhmhrex

Reaction score
Well....I think it is going to be down between the Droid X and the Fascinate. Which one out of the two would everyone recommend and why?

Thanks FX, but I can' do a blackberry. I am doing it more for a phone/games/music etc. I don't need it for work. When I leave work, work stays at work :p

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best of luck to ya....you'll need it. As for battery, I think you over played that in your head....i don't keep my phone plugged in but like any power device, Android, or iPhone you will have to change your behavior but again with my Droid 2, I haven't feared I would run out yet...I may be new to Android OS but I consider myself a power user already...I use the phone and its function all day. With my Storm 2, if I was using it on the web and bluetooth, I would have to charge it several times per day to make it.

Again, good luck...but you will be back once you discover just how bad the Storm 2 is.

EDIT....tonight I asked my wife is she wanted my Storm 2, she said "hell no, I want a phone that works"

Interesting; I was almost going to get a Storm 2 until I heard about the Droid.

Each phone is different, no matter what you get and each person uses theirs differently. When I had my Voyager, I heard about people on their 5 one in as many weeks, but mine lasted 2 years without any problems (probably still good). There were people that had problems with the Droid 1 and went through them, but I'm still on the one I got back on 11/6/09.

One nice thing about the battery; although my OEM battery lasted the whole day (BT, but no Wifi) I was able to get an extended battery.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
You do know that on the droid x that it keeps a log of when it was unplugged from the charger. Also just read through all the complaints about the battery life on the droidx in this forum. Its a hit and miss with their product. Not to mention all the push issues with it on email. Some units get mail And others you have to tell to go get the mail. There is an inconsistency in the production of the product. Another issue with it is the battery manager program. Sometimes it works but most times it forces itself closed. That is a know issues but hasn't been fixed yet. I am very happy with my storm and it post on the droid forum just as easy as the droid did. I unplugged my storm at around 1800 tonight and it still working great and isn't in need of re charging. That's with the Bluetooth on and wifi the droid x can not maintain its battery just do a search on here and you will see all the complaints. It is what it is all the phone manufactures have a few junk units that get out. Its fairly simple logic when you punch out as many units as they there will be a bad one or two. I just was taking the chance on a second unit.
Good luck with the BB...hope you enjoy it. As far as the Battery Manager...that issue has been addressed, in the update that has been rolling out for the last 3 days...

Seems to me, most of your complaints with the X should have been fixed by Verizon giving you a new replacement phone, and then you doing some small tweeks to make it perform better. Never-the-less, you are happy with what you have, and thats all that matters.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
To the OP, if I had to buy a phone today and eat the cost out of pocket, I would with out a doubt buy the Droid X...it is the phone that gives other phones "phone envy"...dancedroid

The device is pure sexiness, as well as being a powerhouse for internet browsing, e-book reading and gameplay. The 4.3" screen makes normal viewing almost as easy as looking at a 7" tablet...seriosly, it looks that good...inside or outside viewing.

OP
B

bhmhrex

Reaction score
To the OP, if I had to buy a phone today and eat the cost out of pocket, I would with out a doubt buy the Droid X...it is the phone that gives other phones "phone envy"...dancedroid

The device is pure sexiness, as well as being a powerhouse for internet browsing, e-book reading and gameplay. The 4.3" screen makes normal viewing almost as easy as looking at a 7" tablet...seriosly, it looks that good...inside or outside viewing.

Thanks....So far I think that is what I am going to go with. It would suck to find out that they won't be upgrading the Fascinate to 2.2

TuxDude

Reaction score
I got my new DroidX just 10 days ago and I'm loving it so far :)

I've had an 3rd gen Ipod touch for almost a year since most of the times I'm in the vicinity of a WiFi Network either at my university, at home or some cafe.... Well my usage and the kind of user I am would be totally different from your case - but here are my views about the DroidX.

1. I went through all the Apple Store BS, the quality of their apps, the restrictions posed with every new software update, the iTunes bound nature and all other issues with my iPod.... But comparing it to the DroidX I'm really glad to be free from all (almost all rather :D) these setbacks....

2. I'm a linux user (hardly boot into Windows) since I'm comfortable with it, passionate about it and suits my work environment well too.... Getting my iPod to play around with Linux was a real pain - esp sync at least till libimobile support was available recently in Linux.... Compared to that my DroidX plays along nice and reliably with my Linux box....

3. Aesthetics, feature and build quality stand out pretty well on the DroidX for the price you pay, compared to other phones and mobile devices I've come across.... You can easily get some pretty good deals on these devices if you know when and where to purchase them from... I've not had much liking to Motorola phones from the moment I had started using cellphones and had avoided them at all cost - but DroidX was something which changed all that :)

4. You can browse your phone files easily, know how they're stored, backup on your SD card, transfer them to PC easily - it is time Apple started making their phones/music players inter-operable

5. Battery drains out pretty fast compared to my previous phone - SE W518a (4 days easily - but yeah not a smartphone) but with a smartphone like this, it is pretty much expected.... Unfortunately processing power and battery usage dont go out pretty well - Motorola needs to pay more attention to this or at least spend extra money to supply a stock battery which provides better life....

6. I'm more of a system developer than an app developer but I already like the Android concept of open app development compared to the Apple strategy.... Seeing the number and quality of apps in the Android marker and their fast development time, I might plunge into this as well in the near future :)

OP
B

bhmhrex

Reaction score
You can easily get some pretty good deals on these devices if you know when and where to purchase them from...

Hey thanks for your input! Any idea where I can buy this phone for cheaper than the $149.99 ($249.99 before mail in rebate and after my credit) that I am seeing it online and in stores for? That would be awesome. My new every two upgrade is only for $50, it used to be for $100, but VZW said they changed their tiers a while back.

TuxDude

Reaction score
I got mine thru Amazon during thanksgiving for $50 - new contract and also Activattion fee waived.... It's currently $80 on Amazon but I do have a gut feel that you'd see some good bargains during the holiday season now - keep checking the site regularly.... I missed the deal where they were selling the phone for $0.01 :|