I'm hoping the Droid camera gets better

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by theguy386, Jan 10, 2010.

1. theguy386

theguy386 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I really hope this 2.1 update really fixes the issues with the Droids camera issues... if not, it'll be time to start saving for the next phone coming out to Verizon ;)

2. shpen

shpen New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Picture quality should not be judged by the preview. Droid has dual LED flash, while iPhone does not. If he takes the picture, I'm sure the Droid will have a much better result.

The Droid gives a dark preview because night mode is set to flash. When the flash goes off, the currently dark preview will be the correct exposure for the flashed scene.

This is a really poor and useless test.

3. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +756
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy s4
    Don't think he has the settings all the same.

Also agree with shpen, Droid has flash which would make the picture much better.

I don't use the camera at all to be honest, but I am kind of disappointed that a 5mp camera seems to struggle to take better pictures. I always find cell phone cameras need to be able to take quick pictures, but the Droid camera lags quite a bit compared to others. I have no fooled around with the settings cause I don't use the camera, but the slowness of it does bother me when I used it a bit just to see the quality.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  4. NickWgnr

NickWgnr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Epic fail on the test... Sorry to say.
    And like I've said before, its a 5mp camera not a DSLR...

Wagner :motdroidvert:

5. FireDroid

FireDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I agree, what did that really prove??? Nothing at all, the other phones have to internally up the lighting and the contrast to get a good pick in low light conditions because they do not have a flash whereas the droid has 2 LED!

Also is the camera funtion of the phone really a deal breaker, you can get 12 mp cameras for around a hundy now! It amazes me what people get wound up about bought!! America, the gotta have it now my way country!!!

6. theguy386

theguy386 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i guess I shouldve been more clear about the test I was doing. The reason for testing the camera WITHOUT the flash, is simply because of the fact that the flash feature isnt always available.
    For example if I was trying to take a picture of something within 15ft and it was dark. Even WITH the dual flash, that picture sure as hell will come out dark.

The only reason why I started noticing this was because a few weeks ago at Disneyland (at night when the castle lights up), everyone of course brings out their phones (other smart phones and non-smart phones)to take pictures of it, etc etc.... so here I go to pull out my Droid.... but what do you know, I'm left with one REALLY dark picture :(, despite me using the flash. And I look over at other phones being used and a pretty clear/bright picture (yeah, a bit grainy, but still very visible). At that point I just put away my Droid :(

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  7. Spyte

Spyte Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i've taken a few pics with my camera; and while i haven't transferred them to the computer yet, they look at least as decent as the camera on my dare took. whomever made that video is a silly bunt with a pos video camera to boot.

8. theguy386

theguy386 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you should take some low-light pictures to compare the two... then you'll see what I'm talking about

9. aarontliu

aarontliu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You have to take the picture to compare!

10. theguy386

theguy386 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i think i will.... but tomorrow, since my lazy ass is already in bed, lol

I'll post up some low-light pictures of:

Droid w/flash
    Droid no flash
    iPhone no flash (of course)
    LG Voyager no flash
    LG Chocolate no flash

11. msblueline

msblueline Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the camera is great for those up close on the go moments.

Mine works pretty good.

msblueline

12. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe there will be an update in 2.1, Google is showing off the N1 as having a great gallery and the photos in it are amazing. I'm not sure if they are claiming the phone took them but they are there.

Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone.

13. Jer

Jer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't watch the video but:

Blackberry 8900 single LED flash 3.2mp camera > Droid 5.0mp dual LED camera

That match doesn't work out but I've seen it with my own eyes and my older 8900 with worse stats across the board takes MUCH better pictures. I can't take a decent photo with my Droid ot save my life. All of them are blurry, pixelated or worse. Not to mention the interface is terrible. Why can't I erase a pic I just took right away w/o going into my gallery if it looks like crap? Why does it take so long between photos? Why does it take so long to launch? Why does it not activate the LEDs while focusing so you can actually see what you're taking pictures of in the dark? Instead I get a black display and then 'click' oh look, I missed the subject by about 2'. Grrr.

14. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do agree that the picture-quality is poor when compared to a "real" digital camera. But when compared to other phones, it's really not that bad...

It does seem to me like it's not the hardware, though -- which means a properly-written software update should fix the camera issues, I would think... I'm hoping, like you, that the 2.1 update will fix some camera issues, in addition to the other stuff it's going to do for us.

So if the camera issues get fixed, and if they'll just give us Bluetooth-activated voice-dialing, the Droid would be the perfect phone!

15. Jumper2pilot

Jumper2pilot New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My wife bought the pink rubber case. Every time the flash goes off the light bounces off the pink case arouns the flash and causes a pink hue in one corner of the photo!

I might just take a Sharpie to the cover and add some black and see if that fixes the flashback?