im going to try sholes

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ok, so after all of what you will see (a lot of frustration on my part) after this post...this is my conclusion (so far):

Installing:
    - Installing using the SM Updater app was obviously easier than typing console commands, but I ran into a lot of conflicts. Unfortunately it was hard to tell what install options were conflicting with which of my apps, and sadly, since no one uses the same apps, it would be almost impossible to troubleshoot on the forum shy of installing each app one by one and working with the phone for 15-20 minutes each time...which for me with a bunch of apps, would take forever. I did a complete wipe before moving from BB to Sholes, but that didn't seem to help for some reason. Obviously my trials and tribulations were much off the charts for a normal experience with Sholes, as many users report about how easy it is to use or install. I'm sure had I not been moving from one ROM to another with a ton of apps that I wouldn't have had one single issue (except I DID have two battery pulls during install which probably had nothing to do with the previous ROM).

Restoring:
    - I had an impossible time with Titanium Backup restoring my stuff that I didn't have with Bugless Beast

Usage:
    - At first it was absolutely horrible. Not speed wise, that was irrelevant (maybe 10ms slower than BB which is absolutely unnoticeable)...but force closes, battery pulls, etc.

Reinstalling the ROM:
    - I decided to reinstall and see how that would work. Initially it hung up on "creating a backup" and I actually had to reboot, go into Astro and delete pretty much all of my system generated Nandroid backups, then it worked instantly. I should also mention that my first install had a lot of 2.1 crap I guess which didn't like my current apps (perhaps).

After reinstalling:
    - No issues thus far, speed seems good, just about on par with BB rom from Pete. Did not use anything from 2.1 on this install except for the gallery. Even the music app I kept stock.

Conclusion:
    - Nothing in particular stands out about this ROM that BB doesn't have (or vice versa, depending on which direction you are "upgrading from") that I need that made it anything better than an experiment between ROMs. Obviously this was easier to upgrade (assuming you didn't run into conflicts the first time like I did), but if there was even one minor option on Pete's BB that I liked more I would spend the 5 minutes using his ROM through the terminal as opposed to this. Same with the other way around. I'm glad I tried this ROM out though just to see how the updater works (for perhaps helping people in the future, etc). I'm going to keep it for now until I one of the ROMs comes out with something that the other doesn't have at which point I will either stay with Sholes or change back to BB. The only issues I am still having are with the maps FCing (I know how to fix it just haven't yet) and the Weather portion of the News/Weather widget is not updating, even after hitting refresh and "use my location" settings. Not sure what the issue is with that one quite yet.

EDIT: Back to BB, they released 7.5
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Well you probably won't be able to overclock 1+GHz.....thats why I switched back to BB...
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Well I'm at 950 right now so 1ghz shouldn't be a big difference. The lowest benchmark I got with bb was 234
  4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

You're on 950 with BB or Sholes? Cause 950 was as high as I could go on Sholes for some reason but got reboots and freezes at 1GHz and higher of course
  5. Dmoralize

Dmoralize New Member

As a BB user i'll be interested in your results. I was considering trying the same experiment.
  6. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

950 on BB.

So far the updater has locked up my phone twice even after a factory wipe. Had to pull the battery twice. Was trying to update from my office on 3G though, I ran home real quick to use WiFi see if that works better.
  7. agent42o

agent42o New Member

Sholes 2.03 runs really stable for me, I had to read up on how to get my maps removed, so I could install the new version, but otherwise, I have actually had better luck with it than I did the last build of bugless.
  8. cb3FSU

cb3FSU New Member

I rooted with Sholes Sunday and have been OC'd at 1GHZ with no problems. Ive yet to have to do a battery pull or forced restart. Its only been a few days but I am very happy with it.

I actually dont know much about this and probably could not have rooted without the App sholes provides, I had been using Home++ and got so used to the scrolling icon bar at the bottom and landscape mode for Home screens that I just switched back to it and love the speed.

Home++ is awesome at 1GHZ. I would like to have the Sholes Icon drawer but the otherwise I love Home++.

Question, can I simply download BB and have that as another Home option if I want it?
  9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

The point of this thread is NOT to discuss Sholes or BB or anything, just the differences that I notice.
  10. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I'm curious to see what you come up with Matt3w.
  11. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

I'm currently in the long process of getting all my apps back on there.
  12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

I've encountered my first problem with Sholes. Titanium Backup is saying that it cannot gain root access even though I have the superuser permission icon. Never had this problem with BB. Going to try to reboot and see if that fixes it.
  13. agent42o

agent42o New Member

Hrm... no idea what's happening there, mine works fine.

On another note, by the way you posted this "I've encountered my first problem" it feels like you're not really willing to give this mod a chance, or that you are expecting the worst. Just my observations.
  14. JhankG

JhankG New Member

As the OP would say, "wrong".
  15. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

If it works better. So far I can't get my stuff backed up.
  16. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

One thing that I think is absolutely horrid (glad I almost never use it once I get all my stuff restored) is that 3d app drawer.
  17. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

7 reboots and 8 force closes I am about 70% restored with my apps.
  18. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Interesting. When I had Sholes I only had one battery pull. But that was one more then any I had before rooting.
  19. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Titanium Backup pretty much does not work with Sholes. So all of my **** is pretty much gone.
  20. BullDroid

BullDroid New Member

Hmm I've been curious about the latest Sholes too but Im running smooth with AdamZ smoked glass 4.0. what kind of force closes you getting?? I get the occasional home force close with AdamZ but its rare and not a bother to me at all really. kepp us updated man. Good to see someone that has an idea of what they are doing messing around with this!