I'm going to get an iPhone 5

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Before this thread goes off in the wrong direction i would like to say the following. I LOVE android! I started out with a Droid 2 Global, then lost it and got a R2d2 droid 2 and i bricked that and i now have a Galaxy Nexus. But since i bricked my r2d2 before my upgrade i had to buy my gnex at full retail(good thing for a best buy credit card haha) which leaves me with an available upgrade.

Now before i would have never thought about getting an iphone, never really liked it. But with the ip4 i kinda started to change my view since i like the way it looked and how it felt in my hands. Now with the ip5 i just love how it looks! And from the video's i've seen it looks to run really smooth. Performance seems to be pretty solid as well.

Does this mean that i'm ditching android? Hell no! DancingNexus
I'll still plan on constantly flashing new roms on my gnex. I just feel like i want to give ios a chance. I know that i can do more with android but in my eyes it'll be a nice breath of fresh air.

*UPDATE*
I'm actually going to wait to see how the Nokia Lumia 920 is before i pull the trigger, that phone has really caught my attention. I'm not so sure about the new nexus devices at this point.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
good choice hope you enjoy.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Nothing wrong with your decision. i'm all about trying another OS and that's why when Windows Phone 8 and Nokia drop on VZW I'm going to snatch me a phone up. I have my N7 for my Android addiction and I get to experience a new OS. Good luck and enjoy!

OP
The Robot Cow

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I really like the ui of windows phone but i just haven't found a phone that i personally like.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Robot Cow, I think its cool you get this opportunity. There is no doubt apple is solid and it is a good time to jump on board because you're not going to feel the frustration of having to update all your old plugs /connections with the adapter.

Keep us updated on things you really like about apple and the things you miss about android. I don't think there are many who know Android real well, first hand, like you then trying out apple. I think most people have either stuck with one or the other. You can give us an informed objective opinion. I would love the opportunity to truly try out another os for curiosity sake.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i have a mac pro and will be eyeing the 7inch ipad mini.

OP
The Robot Cow

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I'll keep an eye out on that Nokia

Robot Cow, I think its cool you get this opportunity. There is no doubt apple is solid and it is a good time to jump on board because you're not going to feel the frustration of having to update all your old plugs /connections with the adapter.

Keep us updated on things you really like about apple and the things you miss about android. I don't think there are many who know Android real well, first hand, like you then trying out apple. I think most people have either stuck with one or the other. You can give us an informed objective opinion. I would love the opportunity to truly try out another os for curiosity sake.

Actually this is what i plan on doing and do a long term comparison between the two and switch back and forth with my gnex.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The iPhone5 will certainly be a new "trendsetter", and I am sure we haven't seen a smidgen of what it can do. There's no question that the iOS is a smoother OS and that's due to the tight integration between chipsets, OS and control on developers for apps, but I think the gap is closing very quickly and may actually already have closed with JellyBean and Project Butter. There's another project out there - Linaro, that if integrated into the OS going forward could push Android above iOS in performance, but that remains to be seen.

I wish I had the discretionary capital to have all the different toys to play with and experiment, but alas the new phone every two is about my limit now. Perhaps I could get luck and pick up either a Windows or iOS phone on eBay, but in either case they're probably not going to be the latest and greatest.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The Robot Cow said:
I'll keep an eye out on that Nokia

Actually this is what i plan on doing and do a long term comparison between the two and switch back and forth with my gnex.

That is exactly what I would do. Fun!

OP
The Robot Cow

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
The iPhone5 will certainly be a new "trendsetter", and I am sure we haven't seen a smidgen of what it can do. There's no question that the iOS is a smoother OS and that's due to the tight integration between chipsets, OS and control on developers for apps, but I think the gap is closing very quickly and may actually already have closed with JellyBean and Project Butter. There's another project out there - Linaro, that if integrated into the OS going forward could push Android above iOS in performance, but that remains to be seen.

I wish I had the discretionary capital to have all the different toys to play with and experiment, but alas the new phone every two is about my limit now. Perhaps I could get luck and pick up either a Windows or iOS phone on eBay, but in either case they're probably not going to be the latest and greatest.

When i was using linaro based aokp or cm9 i did notice an increase the performance of my gnex but once project butter came along i quickly noticed how my phone felt alot smoother.

Now i just checked out the Nokia Lumina 920 and it actually looks pretty cool.

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've done the same in the past. Went from an OG Droid to the iPhone 4. Still messed with the OG on a daily basis, and will admit that I enjoyed owning the iPhone. What brought me back to Android was the Bionic with its 4.3" screen and LTE speed. I'd consider trying an iPhone 5 but don't like the thought of legacy apps being letterboxed. At this point, i'm toying with the idea of trying a WP8 device. I am a geek, not a fanboy. I like to get a taste of everything out there. So far, the only smartphone OS I honestly detest is BlackBerry OS. Who knows, BBOS 10 could change that. In the end, I could own a device running most any OS and likely be happy with it.

OP
The Robot Cow

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I tried out a ip5 at a local att store and here's what I think of it and i'll be comparing my Gnex Running Cm10 M1 build with my cpu clocked at 1350mHz.

Initial Reactions

Home Screen
The Gnex felt smoother while scrolling screen to screen. The ip5 has a slight choppy look to it but it is pretty responsive.

Screen
The screen on the gnex was brighter and it had a warmer tone to it. The ip5 has a more cool tone to the screen and i actually like the screen size of the ip5. The ip5's retina display does help out in clarity. To me they were both pleasant to look at.

Responsiveness
While the gnex is nice, responsive and smooth the ip5 does feel like it "flows" better. But by no means is a gnex a slouch.

Internet Browser
I used chrome on my gnex and safari on the ip5 and i visited Car Culture at Large - Speedhunters Imo the ip5 is a clear winner in this category. Even though my gnex loaded the site faster(go verizon 4g lte!) it was no where near as smooth or responsive as the ip5. Scrolling up and down the page is much better with the ip5. With the ip5 there is no lag with scrolling and its moves right when you move. I've always thought my gnex felt pretty quick but having the ip5 right by it side it looks pretty choppy and a bit laggy. I only went on speedhunters for this brief test.

Build Quality and Feel
This is pretty much subjective to everyone since we all have different taste. I love the build quality of the ip5. The aluminium and glass give the phone a nice premium feel to it and it also feels great in my hands. My gnex feels a bit better in my hands since its a bit wider.

Brief Testing Overview
I know that this is not a real good comparison but i just wanted to share my initial thoughts about the ip5. I did not compare the cameras because i dont think using a camera in store can justify exactly what it can do. I also did not play any games.

What i can say from just using the store's display model is that this is a very good and solid phone. I'm going to wait off on buying a phone until i can at least try out the Nokia Lumina 920. I want to also give windows phone a fair chance.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Things About browsing on I phones, the safari browser doesn't reflow text, nor display flash, two differences when it comes to browsing navigation speed.

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.