I'm finally rooted, however...

cadre.9

Reaction score
I used Petes Motorola Root Tools to root my DX. I'm hesitating going further right now because I had such a devilish time getting my Comcast email set up initially that I dread going through that again. Other than disabling pre-installed aps is there any benefit to being rooted without installing a ROM?

cadre

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I would definitely say that freezing is the biggest benefit. With a custom recovery you can make what is call a nandroid backup which essentially saves the entire state of your phone (including apps and settings) that you can later restore.

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
I was just reading about Titanium Backup; is that the same as a Nandroid Backup? Can I simply download that from the Market and use it to backup all my settings?

cadre

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
No titanium backs up your apps and settings only, you can also freeze with it. When installing a new ROM people use it to restore apps since they get cleared out when you flash one. A nandroid is made with clockwork mod recovery, which I am sure you have heard of if you are doing your root research.

Savagerun

Reaction score
And to add to what jsm said you'll use droid2 bootstrap to make a nandroid backup which is very important to do. It's just like taking a snapshot of the way your phone is right now. Could come in handy if you install a custom rom and something goes wrong you can always restore your back as long as your able to get in clockwork recovery. This link has some good info to check out http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/d...ceptions-errors-commonly-asked-questions.html if you have more questions just ask. It's very simple to make a nandroid backup if you need instructions let us know.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Thanks for the additional info savagerun :biggrin:

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
Thank you both for clarifying that. I've still got a lot of reading to do before the next step.

cadre

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
That right there is the key. It is best to read up and have a good understanding of what is going on before proceeding. Good luck and always ask if you are wondering about something.

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
Wow, so much to read spread out over so many sources. Everything links to someplace else for more info. Please tell me if I have this right before I start:

In order to do a Nandroid Backup I must first download and install Clockworkmod so I can boot into recovery; then download ROM Manager, then the Droid 2 Bootstrap app. Opening the CWM app will put me into recovery and allow me to access the Nandroid Backup where I can then back up everything that's not on the SD card.

After that it's safe to install a ROM?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Well with the Droid X all you should need to do (once you are rooted, which you are) is download the Droid 2 Bootstrap and then utilize that to get into Clockwork Mod Recovery. From there you can make the back up or when you progress to this point, install ROMs as well.

Insidious

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents and method of installing a Rom when I had a D2: backup apps/system with titanium backup, and then open the bootstrapper, hit the top option; I think its called bootstrap recovery. Then hit reboot recovery. Once you're booted in make a nandroid, wipe data/factory reset and go to advanced and wipe the dalvik cache as well then install the Rom. It's been a while so I'm not sure if you actually have to install cwm using Rom manager first.

Also, a few things to keep in mind:
When installing the .zip (the Rom) do not choose update.zip. choose a zip from your sd card. Once youre in recovery that'll make sense.
Make sure the file size of the Rom matches the advertised size. You can use a file manager to do this. The reason I say that is because I ended up with half of a Rom that eventually bricked me because it wasn't the full file.
I know this can all be overwhelming at first but I promise its A LOT easier and simple than it sounds.

Sent from my HTC Rezound.
Rooted, unlocked, and ready to rock!

Savagerun

Reaction score
All you need is droid 2 bootstrap to make a nandroid backup. Open the bootstrap app and press bootstrap recovery then when it says success just press ok then press reboot recovery. That will get you in recovery. Once in recovery use your volume button to scroll down to back and restore and select it with your camera button. Then you'll get more options and just select backup. Then select yes to backup and let it do it's thing. It could take around 5 to 10 minutes for it to complete so just let it go. Once it says backup complete just select reboot system. That's it!

Savagerun

Reaction score
Also when you choose a rom make sure the one you pick is for GingerBread, if your not sure just ask otherwise if you try to install the wrong rom you'll have to sbf and root your phone again so take your time. You don't need rom manager to install a rom either, all you need is droid 2 bootstrap. Before installing a rom also go in your settings then accounts and press your gmail account and make sure your contacts are synced.. Backup assistant is not available on most custom roms so just make sure you sync them to your google account.

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
Okay, I downloaded the Droid 2 Bootstrap (bootstrap-1.0.0.5-droid2.apk) from Motorola Droid X: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki.

The instructions are:

"Copy the Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap to the same folder as adb (the /platform-tools folder within the Android SDK folder).
Connect the Motorola Droid X to the computer via USB.
On the computer, open terminal and run the following command: adb push bootstrap-1.0.0.5-droid2.apk /system/app/

The Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap with the ClockworkMod Recovery should now be installed on the Motorola Droid X."

I have my phone connected to the computer so I can see its contents and I cannot find ADB or an SDK folder. Also, how would I "open terminal"?

Thanks.