I'm experiencing 2 problems with my Droid X. Please advise.

ScottKnightx

Reaction score
Now, these issues may be with Verizon. Well, one of them maybe. But the other is with my Droid X. So, I'm determining if I need to send it back and get a new one. Forgive me if they've been answered, I didn't see them when I was searching.

Problem 1 - Whenever I connect a USB cord from my PC to my Droid X, the Droid X automatically reboots. Is this a setting issue, cord issue, or what? I guess I have tried from different cords, and the problem doesn't happen often, if ever. But it does happen. But at work, it happens everytime I connect the cord.

Problem 2 - Whenever the phone does reboot, or I turn it off for the night, the first phone call I place in the morning does not connect on my end. I do not hear it ringing, but I see it has connected. The party I am dialing receives the call, but they only hear dead air.

Can anyone advise if maybe these are problems with firmware 2.3.3.340 or if this is a problem with solely my phone, and what I can do to alleviate these issues?

Thanks in advance,

- Scott.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My suggestions are:

1. If you have ANY apps on Sdcard, move them back to the phone. This may solve the reboot issue.

2. Do a factory hard reset per the following instructions:

1. [FONT=&quot]Turn off phone[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Press and hold Power key + Home hard key to power on the phone and bring up a triangle with an exclamation point inside next to a green Android graphic.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Press Search hard key to show the Android recovery menu.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]Tap to select "wipe data/factory reset" (you can also use Volume buttons to scroll up or down in this menu)[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=&quot]Press Menu hard key under "Ok" screen prompt (camera button can also be used to confirm selection)[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=&quot]Handset will ask you to "Confirm wipe of all user data"[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=&quot]Select "Yes -- delete all user data"[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=&quot]Press Menu hard key under "Ok" screen prompt to start wipeout of phone, handset will begin to format handset showing progress with multiple lines of ellipses (....) (camera button can also be used to confirm selection)[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=&quot]Handset may take from 5-20 minutes to format.[/FONT]
  10. [FONT=&quot]When format is complete, press Menu hard key under "Ok" screen (or use the camera button) when prompted to reboot (Reboot system now will be highlighted)[/FONT]
  11. [FONT=&quot]You will see either an open box and the green android graphic when handset is rebooting (or the red DROID eye graphic).[/FONT]
  12. [FONT=&quot]Handset will be cleared of previous personal data, and you will need to start over with initial set-up process.[/FONT]
If these things do not solve your issue check out these threads:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...phone-reboots-when-plugged-into-computer.html

Phone reboots when plugging in USB cable - Android Forums

OP
S

ScottKnightx

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I've already previously completed factory resets for both issues, and do not have any apps on SD Card.

The dialing issue seems to happen in the morning, when I place a call to be let inside my office building, it does not connect my end to them. But then after I reboot after that first call, it connects the call correctly every time from there on out. It's frustrating. Mind you, this is my second Droid X, as I've already had to send one back in for replacement. Not sure what's going on, or what I need to do about this.

OP
S

ScottKnightx

Reaction score
It sucks when you pay so much for a phone, and there's a lot of frustration with it. :)

piquat

Reaction score
Problem 1 - Whenever I connect a USB cord from my PC to my Droid X, the Droid X automatically reboots. Is this a setting issue, cord issue, or what? I guess I have tried from different cords, and the problem doesn't happen often, if ever. But it does happen. But at work, it happens everytime I connect the cord.

This happens to mine also but I've noticed something about it. If I use the cable that came with the charger, I get no reboot. The cheap cable that I carry in my laptop bag, always reboots the phone when hooking it up to a PC.

OP
S

ScottKnightx

Reaction score
piquat, you may be onto something. After extensive testing yesterday, I realized that while at home, the charger that came with my phone has been plugged into multiple computers at my home, including my server, and whenever I plug my phone into it, I do not get a reboot. However, while I'm at work and using an older cable, it seems to happen every time.

I'll continue testing, and see what works for me.

minh5942

Reaction score
Hi Scott, Sorry about this problems with your Droid X. I have never see this problem with my Droid X. I plug my Droid X to the charger and to the computer many times never see the phone reboot. My feeling could be OS or the phone itself. The phone is so expensive to make it worths. Return it back get new from Verizon. This problem should never happen. Maybe once a month not every times. If I have this problem it would drives me nut. Good luck.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Mine reboots on usb also. Called vzw. They stated batches of dx have a hardware malfunction with the usb driver. They have to replace the devices. Call vzw.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

piquat

Reaction score
Mine reboots on usb also. Called vzw. They stated batches of dx have a hardware malfunction with the usb driver. They have to replace the devices. Call vzw.

Ohhh, no. I really don't want even try loading it up all over again. If this is my only problem I'll live with it. I've heard of the refurb nightmares. I could very well end up with one that has far more serious problems.

If you do this, could you tell me how they handled it. A brand new one I might go for. Somehow I doubt that's going to be the case... :frown:

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Just got the certified preowned replacement. No reboot on usb. And oddly the camera is actually much quicker to respond. Sound is better too. I'm so far ok with it.