IM & Email Clients?

Reaction score
Ladies & Gents -

While watching some mobileburn videos reviewing the Droid X a few points of interest came up. It seems that the Android network isn't supporting YIM, AIM, and MSN/Live instant message clients. As I've got contacts that are stubborn and do not wish to convert to Gchat this kinda blows... I just saw that trillian might be coming out to these devices so I hope that will solve that issue.

The next question I have relates to that same client problem. If Android doesn't support those IM clients will they support email fetching from Yahoo mail, MSN and the rest of the commonly used services?

Those are the only downfalls I see that might hinder the purchase of this phone when it releases next week.

hendrix

Reaction score
1) There are plenty of IM apps out there that will allow you to chat on any/all of the IM networks

2) The native e-mail client will download any imap or pop3 e-mail. Not sure if there are hotmail/yahoo/whatever specific clients in the app market.

OP
A
Reaction score
1) There are plenty of IM apps out there that will allow you to chat on any/all of the IM networks

They seemed pretty insistent that it won't, but then again that was one review.

2) The native e-mail client will download any imap or pop3 e-mail. Not sure if there are hotmail/yahoo/whatever specific clients in the app market.

Good to know!

At first when I heard that I couldn't understand why they would shut out the other networking clients. I understand Google is aiming to take over the world, but still there are a few people out there who will not give in to Google's awesomeness!

Glad that this seems to work out, I need to replace this POS BlackBerry Storm ASAP!

OP
A
Reaction score
What would google / motorola gain from blocking IM apps that other android devices have? Not all reviews are created equal.

To make people switch to Google products is the only reason I could think of. But yea, that's why I didn't get that part of the review.

Thanks again for clarifying.

magikmarkur

Reaction score
What would google / motorola gain from blocking IM apps that other android devices have? Not all reviews are created equal.

To make people switch to Google products is the only reason I could think of. But yea, that's why I didn't get that part of the review.

Thanks again for clarifying.

Although this review has now been edited to say the correct thing, it originally said that the Droid X had a physical keyboard. Check out this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ple-have-no-idea-what-they-talking-about.html