I'm curious

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by reebz, Jun 13, 2010.

1. reebz

reebz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As to if anyone has actually bricked their phone. I've rooted, used RSDlite a few times to reflash. When I decided to root. I read and re-read instructions and if you follow those instructions, everything worked out fine. So does anyone now have a Droid paperweight?

2. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't recall anyone actually making a Droid paperweight. I may have missed it however.

And hardware issues don't count as bricking :) It's gotta be a software goof :)

3. reebz

reebz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I meant, bricking your Droid by trying to root or other software installations.

4. Martin030908

Ratings:
    +0
    You almost have to make an effort to brick it. It's very difficult to completely brick these things.

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I saw one situation where that MIGHT have happened to someone. Don't know if they rescued it or not.

Bricked would mean you phone doesn't even turn on. If you can get it to turn on, we can probably get it fixed. Well, maybe not me but somebody in the rescue squad.

6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6

IIRC it was someone on the RS here....

7. rkeller62

rkeller62 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To me won't even power on implies a hardware issue. By this definition I 'bricked' my Moto Q9c twice simply by powering off and doing a battery pull then trying to power back on. Both times it was completely stock phone. Of course I should thank Moto for the 2nd time because I was out of warranty and no insurance, but my ne2 was up so that's when I got the Droid!

8. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,663
    no one has .....well one person but he shall remain nameless. But we have a high phone recovery rate. Most devices that have problems are a result from trying to root with a weak or dead battery. If the battery is dead then neither rsdlite or any thing will work.

9. Martin030908

Ratings:
    +0
    Bingo. I've run into this. Had me panicking but a full nights charge on the wall charger without touching the phone fixed the issue.

It's rec. that any flashing or what not be done with a minimum of 40% battery available. Any less you may run into issues.

10. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Do run you computer on an administrator profile when rooting also, that always helps...

11. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,663

Actually Martin all our tutorials say 60% this gives you a buffer to find help tutorials or install files if you are ever in a bootloop. Even though you are in recovery it still burns battery.
    I actually will probably start recommending people put an emergency backup file on their computer. That way if they ever have a bootloop they can install that file to fix it immediately. Once fixed they should allow their device to charge while they figure out what went wrong. Most bootloops are a result of either not wiping data/cache or an unstable kernel/rom.

12. Martin030908

Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks for the correction :)